1X Fired Brass THEN full-length sized??

Ingwe

If I full-length size the 1X fired brass from my rifle, am I essentially negating the benefits of 1X fired brass and returning it back into SAAMI brass?

If I full-length size the 1X fired brass from my rifle, am I essentially negating the benefits of 1X fired brass and returning it back into SAAMI brass?
If you bump the shoulder .002 then it is unlikely to be set back to its 'as new' size. You will find different opinions on this...some neck size only until it is necessary to bump the shoulder, while some FL size every time and set the shoulder back a small amount.

There is in fact 3 ways to size brass.
#1 FL Sizing, which will bring fired brass ALMOST back to unfired dimensions.
#2 Neck Sizing, which will only size the neck.
#3 PARTIAL FL Sizing, which will size the neck, shoulder and body by the amount you desire/need/want for consistency and easy chambering.
This latter method is what I do and recommend.
You can also size this way with a body die if desired.

I use
Forster/RCBS/Redding/Lyman.
I will not ever use Hornady dies, even if they're free!

Cheers.

#3 PARTIAL FL Sizing, which will size the neck, shoulder and body by the amount you desire/need/want for consistency and easy chambering.

I use

Cheers.

Now a follow-up question:

I am sighted in with new brass....will the following rounds that have now been full-length sized have a different point of impact?

I use

Cheers.

I discovered when trying to partially full-length resize all you do is manage to push your shoulder forward. You have to get all the way to full-length resize before the shoulder's pushed back and you can actually fit them into the chamber.

Contact Neil Jones
He'll have you send him three fired cases and make a custom die that will be a perfect fit for your chamber.

Yes, firing 1x fire-forms them to your chamber. Neck sizing keeps the shoulder where it belongs. BUT - for hunting rounds - different variables like temp extremes, potentially dusty or wet conditions, dirty chambers...Bumping that shoulder back a hair to insure smooth chambering can make the difference between a quick second shot and either a missed trophy or a long tracking job on a wounded/suffering animal.
If it's strictly for target shooting, no doubt neck sizing and/or partial sizing can extend case life and enhance accuracy. But for hunting I use fully-sized brass. Cannot promise you this WILL get more kills, but it's one less thing that MIGHT stop me if the circumstances arise.

There are many credible shooters who have declared neck sizing only to be of no measurable benefit. However, there are some measurable and obvious negatives to neck sizing, especially if you are planning to hunt with them. Due to a few constants with how brass behaves when fired, at some point you will HAVE to FL size or they will become very difficult to chamber due to excessive case stretch causing difficulty in chambering and getting the bolt closed.
Having said that, as mentioned previously when full length sizing be careful to only bump the shoulder .002-.003. This will help ensure every round chambers reliably. Since the very beginning of my reloading experience, learning to be very meticulous to only bump the shoulder .002 has been and still is today the single biggest jump in accuracy for my loads. Of course seating depth, powder, primer, etc. all play a very important role in developing the most accurate load, but giving all these items a consistent platform to work from is critical.

I have neck sized my hunting brass for more than 45 years. I test chamber all loaded rounds before taking them hunting to ensure a smooth load and close. You would be surprised how often I have seen full length resized loads fail to chamber for guys I am guiding or hunting with because they weren't tested first. I have NEVER had a round fail to chamber properly. On top of that I have 300 WM, 7 Rem Mag, 375 Ruger, 308 and 7x57 brass that has more than 15 reloads on them and still look perfect. After 5 loadings, combined target and hunting shots, I use them for target only and start with new brass for the hunting loads.

If there is a down side to neck sizing I have never seen it, and only rarely do I need to bump a shoulder, or trim brass. I have over the years, and with each new gun, tried FL versus neck only and neck sized brass has always shot better groups, particularly in belted magnums.

Not saying all should do this, but at least try it both ways and see for yourself which works better for you. Way too much stuff gets repeated on the internet that hasn't been personally verified. Only way to know for absolute certain is to try it in your own gun.