When to size 300 wsm brass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elkslayer1

I measured the new Winchester brass and it is .005 under factory spec for max length. After I resize before I shoot he first time and after I resize after the first shot, I am over what the books show for max length. The case are only over about .002. These are mild loads and will still chamber fine. Do you guys go by the letter of the law or just trim when they won't load in the gun? Thanks

oops, not very highly recommended to trim after they won't chamber because,

Just before that they will expand during firing, come up against the end of the chamber and squeeze the bullet as it exits the case mouth greatly increasing pressure.

been there and done that. Not good.

Thus I would highly recommend following the "letter of the law"

One way to check is that a fired case should allow a bullet to drop into the mouth with no friction at all. If it won't drop in, you should have trimmed long ago.

Always think in safe direction.

oops, not very highly recommended to trim after they won't chamber because,

Just before that they will expand during firing, come up against the end of the chamber and squeeze the bullet as it exits the case mouth greatly increasing pressure.

been there and done that. Not good.

Thus I would highly recommend following the "letter of the law"

One way to check is that a fired case should allow a bullet to drop into the mouth with no friction at all. If it won't drop in, you should have trimmed long ago.

Always think in safe direction.

Roy, It depends on the chamber neck spec. In my new 6-284, which has a relatively tight neck, about .004 total clearnace - .002 clearance from loaded neck to neck chamber all around, the brass springs back to the point where I can barely manually push the bullet back into the neck of the fired case.

Guess Roy and I are old school, I keep 'em trimmed too. Don't want the fire coming out the holes on the sides of the receiver......:)

Of course my new trimmer makes that a snap....

Like Mike says, the only way to know for sure is to measure it. Why trim it if it isnt needed?

Very dangerous to recommend to ignore reloading manuals.

Do you load for 300WSM?

How old are you?

A bit out of context? Mike said not to go by the book OAL of the brass but rather find out the actual length of the chamber and adjust to that. Good advise IMO, and yes, I have loaded for the 300 WSM in case you are wondering.

Not sure how old Mike is, nor do I care. I do know he makes a valuable contribution to this forum. My advise to you is not to be so thinned skinned and move on.

A bit out of context? Mike said not to go by the book OAL of the brass but rather find out the actual length of the chamber and adjust to that. Good advise IMO, and yes, I have loaded for the 300 WSM in case you are wondering.

Not sure how old Mike is, nor do I care. I do know he makes a valuable contribution to this forum. My advise to you is not to be so thinned skinned and move on.
I'm not being thin skinned but your comment of such makes me believe that your perception is that Mike attacked me first.

I'm trying to goad Mike into sticking his foot in his mouth. I don't believe in his contributions. He posts about calibers he does not have.

As for the neck length gauge link, is that what the poster was asking for?

In the donut thread, I find the physics behind his post that brass flows up the body, shoulder and into the neck from full length sizing contradictory to his position and bombastic attempt to shout me down over F/L vs N/S.

As for age. I'm pretty sure Mike has complete disrespect for everyone who is not has 'smart' as he is. To me, that is how he writes. I am 55 years old. I chose not to go into Nuclear Physics when offered in the Navy recruiting process. I was a software developer and development manager for decades. I have credentials beyond some young whipper snapper who is full of himself.

I'm not being thin skinned but your comment of such makes me believe that your perception is that Mike attacked me first.

I'm trying to goad Mike into sticking his foot in his mouth. I don't believe in his contributions. He posts about calibers he does not have.

As for the neck length gauge link, is that what the poster was asking for?

In the donut thread, I find the physics behind his post that brass flows up the body, shoulder and into the neck from full length sizing contradictory to his position and bombastic attempt to shout me down over F/L vs N/S.

As for age. I'm pretty sure Mike has complete disrespect for everyone who is not has 'smart' as he is. To me, that is how he writes. I am 55 years old. I chose not to go into Nuclear Physics when offered in the Navy recruiting process. I was a software developer and development manager for decades. I have credentials beyond some young whipper snapper who is full of himself.

Well I am 57 and Kirby Allen and Shawn Carlock are a heck of a lot younger than we are and have forgotten more about this game than you and I will ever know put together. So age really has nothing to do with it.

Why are you trying to goad anyone to put their foot in their mouth? That is a blatant violation of forum rules. If you think someone is throwing BS out there, then point it out and back yourself up with the facts. I do that more than I care to in these forums.

The neck gauge is a tool to help the OP accomplish his task. A very useful tool IMO. I don't use them, but I do think they can be very useful. So, IMO, the link was very germane to the subject.

You say that you are pretty sure that Mike has complete disrespect for bla bla bla. I say, don't try to get into someone else's head. Just stick to the facts. If you think someone has contradicted their self, then point it out with the facts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts