Over size 1x fired Norma 300 WSM brass

Just made a quick search, I can't seem to find .300WSM Small Base sizer dies. My search was not a complete one. Personally, I don't think they are made, except on a custom basis. Could be wrong, but small base sizers are usually only made for cartridges chambered for autoloaders. The Larry Willis die won't work, either,,,,, as it is made for belted magnums. Custom cut chambers deserve new brass. Brass from a factory chamber most likely isn't going to fit!
I just picked up new Hornady brass from Midway

I bought 120 once fired Norma 300 WSM brass from a well known member here a couple years ago. I've been saving it for my custom build long action and recently FL sized and loaded some to shoot this weekend. They would not chamber because the case diameter at the webbing is 0.557". My Lee FL sizing die is unable to resize down to the webbing but my Hornady Custom Grade sizes them back down to 0.556" which enables chambering. The bolt is slightly stiff to close and open but it works. My question is, if I use these cases for load development in this rifle, will the heat and pressure / expansion and contraction of firing cause them to be a better fit for subsequent loads or am I wasting my time and components? Anyone have experience with this issue?
Not a problem...set your die to OVER CAMBER..screw it down farther than normal by a half turn to full turn. It's common with my 270 WSM, and 300 Weatherby Mark V vs 300 Weatherby Vanguard...after fire forming in your chamber they generally work fine to load again,and again.

An easy solution is to take .010" off the top of a shell holder…it may size the shoulder too much, so measuring the datum should be done before going further after altering a shell holder.

Cheers.
This makes the most sense without getting a specially made die or getting new brass. Makes no sense to order a custom die IMO for used brass. Be better to just order some ADG and move on if a modified shell holder doesn't work.

This makes the most sense without getting a specially made die or getting new brass. Makes no sense to order a custom die IMO for used brass. Be better to just order some ADG and move on if a modified shell holder doesn't work.
Redding offers their precision 5 set shell holders with .002-.010 for shoulder bump and deeper sizing....they work awesome...not sure they have WSM....but most of the other common calibers

Redding offers their precision 5 set shell holders with .002-.010 for shoulder bump and deeper sizing....they work awesome...not sure they have WSM....but most of the other common calibers
They do make them. I have all of them. He would need part# 11606 and that handles a large amount of different cases.

Last edited:
I just picked up new Hornady brass from Midway
also I use RCBS dies and with my Tikka I have to use Redding .002 shell holder and bumb my shoulders back each firing.
yes Reddy does have WSM. I have a set and use them often.

also I use RCBS dies and with my Tikka I have to use Redding .002 shell holder and bumb my shoulders back each firing.

yes Reddy does have WSM. I have a set and use them often.
Disregard I think I have it figured out now after thinking on what you suggested.

Last edited:
But don't these shell holders work in the opposite direction that he needs to go ? I thought his dies weren't sizing down far enough. Wouldn't he need to remove some material from the die or shell holder as Magnum suggested ? Or cam over farther as Skipglo suggested ?
the shell holders get thinner on the face by .002 steps thus forcing the brass further up in the dye.

Recent Posts