Optimum scope for 1000+ yard elk and deer custom rifle

drpbroun5

I am going to have a 338 Allen Mag or a 338 Edge made with all the bells and whistles. I am interested in what y'all would consider to be the optimum scope (maker, model and reticle) for each rifle and why. How would you outfit the whole rig? I am used to shooting out to 1000 yards and am looking to possibly extend my useful range for deer and elk. I want to make sure that any shot I may take is going to be a killing one, as much as I possibly can do so. I will appreciate everyone's opinion. Thank you.
God bless,
Paul

For the scope I'd go with a Nightforce 5.5-22x56 (or 50 ) with the NP-R1 reticle. Why? Top quality, rugged, repeatable clicks, super glass and the R1 reticle is great for either dialing and shooting, spotting your own shots and knowing the error, if any, and ranging if needed. Use the best rings and base you can find, with the base probably being 20moa or more. With the 5.5-22 NF you can get a loooong ways using the 20moa and the generous internal clicks.

The 338 AM will need a custom action, the Edge can be built on a Rem 700 or similar. Big difference in price there. Also if using the Rem you can count on having it accurized etc. Hang the best trigger you can afford on it.

Shoot the best bullets the gun will handle accurately out of the best brass you can get your hands on.

If it's a dedicated long range rig I'd start with at least a 30" barrel but with the AM I'd go longer. Brand is up to you. There are many good ones out there. Consult with your smith and see what he has had the best results with.

Stock choice is up to you and your preferences. I like the A5 design although the wait is a pain in the butt. Manners, Joel and others can get you similar but much faster.

Add in a scope level of your choice and probably a ACI along with a Kestrel and Pocket PC or Palm running Exbal or similar and you can start having fun.

All of this is just personal preference and yours, and others may and probably will vary. In the end you just have to make you happy.;)

Get everybody's suggestions, weigh them, decide what you personally want and then contact your smith. You may find that in talking with him some choices may change. The two calibers you mention are usually connected with two of the best smiths out there. They know their business and will help you with every step of the build.

Good luck and have fun.:)

Well, I would say that if you go to the 338 AM and want to shoot a mile or more at an animal then the 8-32 X - 56mm is the scope to use. The NP-R1 is a good reticle. At those extreme ranges you just have to have the larger objective and the higher magnification to clearly identify your target and not shoot some spike elk when you only have a cow tag.

If you are going to stay under 1500 yards then the 5.5-22X 56 is probably enough.

As far as stocks go, while the A-5 by MacMillian or A5L by Joel Russo is probably a more accurate platform, I much prefer the Joel Russo laminated thumbhole. But you have to have a very high cheek weld with the thumbhole and a 56mm scope and that is not good for the really long range stuff.

If weight isn't a concern, I say go with the nightforce 5.5-20. The 50mm and the 56mm are only 1oz different, but the 56 offers some cheek weld issues as others have stated. If weight is a concern I'd suggest a Leupold 4.5-14 or 6.5-20. For what it's worth i have a Leupold VXL 4.5-14x56 (the one with the cut out of the bottom) and really like it. It has the brightness of a 52 mm but mounts as low as a 40 mm. Best of both worlds ;). And it's still pretty lightweight.

BB, does the thumbhole force the need for a higher cheek weld?

Here you go, U.S. Optics Model: SN3
Power: 3.8-22x
Length: 18.00
Weight: 2.50
Eye Relief: 3.5​

get_image.php
The SN-3 3.8-22X is a variable magnification scope that is made for target engagement out to 2000+ yards. An adjustable objective provides accurate parallax adjustment from 50yrds. to infinity. Reliable adjustments and extreme durability make this scope a very affordable long range tool that will fit well with most rifle platforms. Basic design has a 30mm tube, US#1 elevation and windage adjustments, your choice of 44mm or 58mm diameter objectives. MOA and MIL adjustments, along with MOA or MIL reticles allow you to use whatever combination you desire. Optional elevation and windage knobs, reticles, lit reticle modules, tube diameters and finish colors available at an additional charge. Scope body, eye piece, objective housing and any and all other body parts are made with 6061-T6 aircraft aluminum and are then coated with a matte black type III hard anodizing. Elevation knobs materials consist of stainless, brass and 4130 Chrome Moly, ball detents are tungsten carbide with a stainless steel jacket. Duel elevation and windage rebound springs will insure decades of reliable and accurate adjustments. Basic System SpecificationsPrice: 2285.00Eyepiece: Rapid FocusEyepiece Housing: Std HousingTube: 30mm StdColor: Matte Black - StdElevation Knob: US#1 1/4 MOAWindage Knob: US#1 1/4 MOAReticle: Mil-DotLit Reticle: NoParallax: ERGO - StdObjective: 44mm

BB, does the thumbhole force the need for a higher cheek weld?

The thumbhole does not have an adjustable cheek piece and cannot be higher than the bottom of the bolt or else you cannot remove the bolt.

Here you see three rifles. The A5 with a 56 mm objective NF and adjustable cheek piece, a 40X with 56 mm NF and a Shawn Carlock cheek piece and the Joel Russo thumbhole with a 50mm Lueppy V3.

I imagine you could do something such as add an Eagle stock pack or a Shawn Carlock cheekpiece to the thumbhole but I haven't as the rifle is only a 240Wby and the killing range is only about 1400 yards. I dearly love the thumbhole and it is my favorite stock, but if I was going to shoot further than 1400 yards I would definitely do something to help the cheek weld

P1010010.jpg

DE1.jpg

240w7.jpg

The thumbhole does not have an adjustable cheek piece and cannot be higher than the bottom of the bolt or else you cannot remove the bolt.

Here you see three rifles. The A5 with a 56 mm objective NF and adjustable cheek piece, a 40X with 56 mm NF and a Shawn Carlock cheek piece and the Joel Russo thumbhole with a 50mm Lueppy V3.

I imagine you could do something such as add an Eagle stock pack or a Shawn Carlock cheekpiece to the thumbhole but I haven't as the rifle is only a 240Wby and the killing range is only about 1400 yards. I dearly love the thumbhole and it is my favorite stock, but if I was going to shoot further than 1400 yards I would definitely do something to help the cheek weld

Ahhhhhhhhhh, i hadn't thought of that. I too love the thumbhole stocks but i only practice out to about 1000 with the gun i have now. Although I am talking to Kirby about a build that will extend my range well past that, so food for thought I guess. With the contour of the thumbhole it might be a challenge to even get a Carlock type cheek piece installed properly. I will definitely have to look into that further. Thank you very much for the information BB. :cool:

Sorry for the hijack drp :D

Optimum scope for 338

Thanks everyone for the info. I am thinking of a NF 5.5X22. Which is better a 50 or 56 lens - pluses and minuses for each? Please also tell me about zero stop. I also thought about a NP-R1 reticle. My logic is to use hold over for the marks on the reticle then dial for longer range. Is this practical? I am used to shooting out to 1000 yards with hold over by using a Primeir reticle calibrated for my rifle and load. Great info, guys. Thanks.
Paul

My logic is to use hold over for the marks on the reticle then dial for longer range.

Depends on whether you are easily confused. Take this test and see.

You get up at 3:00 in the morning and go turkey hunting waking up your wife in the process. When you come home at 2:00 in the afternoon and walk in the house your wife call out from the kitchen, "Did you wipe your boots before you walked on the new carpet?"

If you have to stop and think about the answer you should not use hold over and dial at the same time on a rifle.

If on the other hand, you quickly yell out "the dam dog has messed the carpet up and I am going to take him out side and shoot him!" Then you think quickly enough to decide whether to dial or hold over when you see a deer.

While the 5.5 - 20 is a great scope, for shooting past 1,000 yards I want more magnification for a more accurate hold. A 20x scope with a dot at a mile covers way too much of the animal for a precise hold. I personally like the dot reticles but a fine cross hair works good too but can sometimes be hard to see if shooting across mountains into timber. A Nightforce NXS 8-32 X 56 with a aluminated reticle would be a good choice. If you don't want to spend that kind of money wait a couple of months, Sightron has a 8-32 x 56 side paralax 30mm scope coming out with a price tag less than $1,000. I have several Sightron 's and can't say anything bad about them, a great scope for a great price.

I use a 5.5X22X50 with the NPR-2 recticle and I am very happy with this set up.

PARKER338LM-1.jpg

The reticle

NPR-255X22-1.gif

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.