.308 rifle, 14x scope 1000 yards?

emn83

Searched, but didn't find what I was looking for... Sorry if this has been repeated, which it probably has

So, I have a Savage 308, currently topped with a Nikon Buckmasters 4.5-14 scope. In theory, going from calculations on the G7 Ballistics calculator, My scope can reach 1k yards, but it's the very last click on the elevation knob with my current zero. in reality, given that's it a 308, I wouldn't be hunting with it at that range, just shooting for fun, because this site has gotten me hooked on the thought of going for a long shot

So, my question has several parts. 1, would a 20 MOA base be somethng good to consider, so I can have some more room at the bottom end of my elevation. Or, 2 given the scope, would it be better to wait till I have the money for a scope with more MOA in elevation?

Gee, I have the same rifle, well, I will next week. Got to pick it up plus the 7mm-08. I'd put on a 20 moa rail and keep the optic. I'll rail mine with a 20 (when I get it).......

Haven't decided on scopes for either. Most likely Vortex in something lighter than a PST Tactical. Trying to keep the weight down.....

The 7/08 is a flatter shooting round than the 308.

I had a hard time resisting buying 2...so I did.

have you actually tried dialing for range with your setup. ive had 3 buckmasters and they are fine for a scope you plan on holding for range, but non of mine even came close to tracking. i dialed 20ish moa and it moved my initial zero about 1 foot.

tracking doesn't matter so much for a scope you plan to hold higher to compensate for range (thats what the buckmaster scope is intended for) but tracking is (to me) the single most important thing in a scope i plan on dialing. id give up some clairty a long time before i would deal with a scope that didnt track.

a 20moa base would help but if your using the buckmasters for holdover like you should then a 20moa base wont help. my opinion is buy a scope that is made for your intended purpose, and keeo the buckmasters on a rifle that you wont be dialing range

I was always told spend the money on the optic and cry once. My shooting partner just got the vortex viper 6x24. It was real reasonable if you dont need ffp. The glass is very clear past 1k, I would compare it to leupold.

I always use a 20MOA rail. No downside. Upside is that you have plenty of elevation left for dialing and scopes interchange easily between rifles.

I have a 6-18x40 Buckmaster with accurate/repeatable turrets. It's fine for recreational shooting to 1k.

But, I prefer my Leupold and NF scopes for long range precision.

You can easily test your scope tracking by "shooting the square" etc at 100yds. There are many threads here about those sorts of tests. Assuming yours tracks sufficiently well, you may find that once you run out of elevation, you have no room left for dialing windage.

-- richard

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.