What scope for 1000 yard kills

tjonh2001

here is the deal i am building a long range hunting rifle and am to the point of a new scope. i know everyone here is a nightforce fan and i am also. i just want to see what people are thinking for a hunting rifle capable of 1000 yard kills. i use turrits but i like a moa retical. i have a np-r1 on one of my guns, i have mark 4 with tmr. never tried zeiss or ior but have heard good things.i want to know that i can turn my turrits and the scope will come back to 100 yard zero. what do you guys think is the best hunting scope/reticle combo. i am hopong that i can find one used so if you are going to sell your let me know......

i actually just shipped that same scope with tmr about 5 hours ago. i am looking at either nightforce 3x15x50 or 5.5x20x50,maybe zeiss 4.5-14 or ior 4.5-14. i want to know if ppl have these and what they think. i have a nightfoce so i am really looking for info on IOR or Zeiss.

I have the Zies Conquest and a Leupy vx3. Both are 6.5-20. Both nice lightwieght scopes, compared to the nxs. I like the Leupy better.

If using a Mil Dot ret, usually calibrated @ 10X @ 18X the dots are right at 2 Mils. Thus I'd go to at least 20X on the scope.

Advantage of the Zeiss is that they are lighter than the NXS or IOR.

Nighforce has Turrets and reticle in moa which I like.

roy im with you i like the fact that my turrits and reticle are in moa.the onle down fall that i can see is that i cant have a cap on the eye pice because to change power you have to spin it.

boss if my wile would let me justify spending $2000++++on a hunting scope i probably would.

this is why i should never get bored. i camoed the stock i sold the mark 4 that was on it to try somthing new. i got new bottom metal. i should have just built a new gun.

I just received today a new Leupold VX-III 6.5-20 x 50 Long Range, Target with the Varmint Hunters reticle in it for my predator hunting. The turrets on it are 1/4 MOA and the reticle is listed by MOA also. It is a second focal plane scope so you do need to set it on a particular setting to gain the listed MOA. You can also modify this magnification a bit to more exactly match your load that you are shooting. I will be putting this on a new 6mm WOA that I am having built on an AR platform and the MOA differences listed will be a near exact match for the load that I plan on shooting out of it out to the 500 yard lines. A little practise and range time with it and it will be a deadly combination on coyotes as far as I can see them.

Greg

i ended up going with an ior. dont get me wrong guys i like my nightforce and leupolds but wanted to try a different scope. i think that as far as a hunting scope i like to have covers on it. thats why i wanted to try a different one. this gun had a leupold mark 4 and wanted somtihng else. thanks for the input. here it is.
muzzlebreak001.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts