Optic Dillema

crowell33

Sorry, "dillema" should be "dilemma." I hate fat-fingering.

So, I've recently purchased an Armalite AR-30 in .300 Win Mag and have spent two days so far researching optics. I'd like to keep it around $1000ish ($800-$1200), and these are what I'm looking at so far.

Leupold VX-3 6.5-20x50
Leupold LR/T M5 Mark 4 4.5-14x50
Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50
Swarovski Z3 4-12x50

I have access to a 1000 yard range, so you can bet I'll be doing plenty of that. What I'm interested in is bang-for-the-buck. For example, is the Mark 4 worth the cost over a VX-3? Is there another optic I should be looking at? (other than a $1600 Nightforce).

A few people have told me I should look at the Vortex Viper. Any thoughts on that? Also, multiple people have told me the Zeiss is the best glass for under $1000.

I'd particularly love to hear from someone who has an AR-30 and what they're running.

Appreciate the help. Thank you!

I have a Zeiss Conquest 3-12x56 and I'd like to compare it to a Z3 Swaro. I've compared it to a Swarovski Habicht 3-12x50 and my Zeiss won hands down for light gathering and they were pretty even on clarity. Now, that I've decided I want to stretch out my shooting past 400 yards, I have to find out if Zeiss will install target turrets for my particular type of scope.

Anyway out of what you listed, I don't have much experience with Leupold, you'll be happy with the Zeiss or Swarovski.

I have been considering the same sort of problem. I have decided I am just going to get a used NF and they can be found around the $1200 range, I bought two for under that. They usually get treated pretty well and the warrenty is good so I am going that route. I am not sure if your into going used or not but that is the path I am chosing.

I presume that though you plan to do 1,000 yard shooting you'll also want to shoot at some closer targets. Assuming that is correct:

1. Some type of ranging reticle would be nice such as a mil dot, TMR, etc. I don't think you'll get that in a Leupold VX-3.

2. You'll also want the scope to track well and have target or tactical turrets.

I don't think you'll get that stuff in your price range if you're going for Zeiss or Swarovski.

I have a Swarovski, a couple of Nightforce scopes, a Zeiss Conquest scope and multiple Leupold Mark 4 scopes so I guess you can tell where my bias lies. A big advantage to the Leupolds aside from the fact that they're nice is that you get service in the U.S.A. if it's needed and it's pretty prompt. I've bought all of my Leupold scopes well within your price range. Since the Leupold warranty is good even if you buy used, I buy used Leupolds most of the time.

Sorry, "dillema" should be "dilemma." I hate fat-fingering.

So, I've recently purchased an Armalite AR-30 in .300 Win Mag and have spent two days so far researching optics. I'd like to keep it around $1000ish ($800-$1200), and these are what I'm looking at so far.

Leupold VX-3 6.5-20x50
Leupold LR/T M5 Mark 4 4.5-14x50
Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50
Swarovski Z3 4-12x50

I have access to a 1000 yard range, so you can bet I'll be doing plenty of that. What I'm interested in is bang-for-the-buck. For example, is the Mark 4 worth the cost over a VX-3? Is there another optic I should be looking at? (other than a $1600 Nightforce).

A few people have told me I should look at the Vortex Viper. Any thoughts on that? Also, multiple people have told me the Zeiss is the best glass for under $1000.

I'd particularly love to hear from someone who has an AR-30 and what they're running.

Appreciate the help. Thank you!

10-year-old post here, just curious as to what scope did you go with?

That's ok, I usually sit at home and either talk to myself, my dog, the wall or occasionally my wife…..would be more likely to get a response from the OP than any of the aforementioned.