Optic choices

ayers21

So today I bought a Sig Tango 4 6-24 for $660. I am now second guessing myself on wether I got the best deal and best optic for that amount of money. Perhaps I should have reached out here first but I guess I made an impulse buy. I checked out the viper pst gen 2 and tango 4 side by side and felt that for the almost 400 dollar savings that the sig would do just fine for long range hunting (out to 800 with 300 wsm, possibly farther depending on load and me obviously.) I know there are a lot of good options and I know the sig is good but did I really get the best bang for buck? Thoughts and opinions? Thanks in advance.

More important than "best deal" is making a workable choice, and it's likely you did. Some hindsight required in all of these choices.

The quantity of optics, and dealers out there make it pretty hard to find that best dollar deal at best. Never can tell when a product line updates, making hot products of last years line.

Let us know how it works out.

Uncertain as to your long range background, but scopes can be a very subjective subject. It is not uncommon for people to second guess their choice after the fact. If you looked at them side by side and you perceived the Tango to be a better bang for the buck, why the buyers remorse now. Enjoy it and take comfort in the fact that you can enjoy it now and upgrading later is always a viable solution. You may lose a little in the sale, but you gain experience. Enjoy the scope, enjoy the process, and welcome to Long Range Hunting!

Uncertain as to your long range background, but scopes can be a very subjective subject. It is not uncommon for people to second guess their choice after the fact. If you looked at them side by side and you perceived the Tango to be a better bang for the buck, why the buyers remorse now. Enjoy it and take comfort in the fact that you can enjoy it now and upgrading later is always a viable solution. You may lose a little in the sale, but you gain experience. Enjoy the scope, enjoy the process, and welcome to Long Range Hunting!
Little to no long range experience, second guessing mainly cuz of some you tube videos on the scope, most were good some were bad. Mostly I did not read up completely on the tango 4 like I should have and now I wonder if I shouldn't take it back because of the few things I found out and don't like or agree with.

I have no experience with them. It takes a little discernment when reading reviews and watching videos to tell what is true and right vs some well intentioned albeit misinformed person trying to gain a following. I am dumber for having seen some videos. Lol If it concerns you this much and you can get a full refund to upgrade that makes you feel better, why not. It's entirely your choice. I felt similarly after I bought a Viper PST. Still have it and shot a 3.5 ish inch group @ 567 yds with a stock Savage 110 in 6.5 cm with factory ammo. Not great by many peoples standards, but I was extremely pleased.

Never had one, but it is a good deal if it dials accurately and the settings are repeatable. This is what matters most. Make sure it is mounted properly. Bed the base and lap or bed the rings. Make sure the reticle is true to the bore. Then do a tall target test and see what you got.

You have it, might as well try it out and see if it tracks, that is the number 1 goal on a scope is if it will track correctly. Second, do you like the glass, is it clear and bright from 6-24? If both come up with a yes, I would not worry about someone else review, if glass is not as clear at full power, but tracks true, I still would not be concerned, but if it will not track, send it back.

So today I bought a Sig Tango 4 6-24 for $660. I am now second guessing myself on wether I got the best deal and best optic for that amount of money. Perhaps I should have reached out here first but I guess I made an impulse buy. I checked out the viper pst gen 2 and tango 4 side by side and felt that for the almost 400 dollar savings that the sig would do just fine for long range hunting (out to 800 with 300 wsm, possibly farther depending on load and me obviously.) I know there are a lot of good options and I know the sig is good but did I really get the best bang for buck? Thoughts and opinions? Thanks in advance.
This is NOT going to be your last purchase, do NOT sweat it unnecessarily. Have fun with it instead.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.