opinions welcomed

Gator26

28 inch shilen barrel with a lilja #7 contour 300 wby shooting 165-180 gr bullets - if it were you what would the twist be for the barrel allso could someone help me understand how the twist effect the round. allso dont know if you need to know this info but it will be used for elk

If it was me I would talk to a gunsmith and a person from Nosler/ berger/ sierra to verrify my choice. I would lean towards a 10 twist in a wby mag so I could shoot the heavier bullets when needed.

basically you need a faster twist barrel to stablize longer projectiles. Berger's website will give you the recomended twist for their bullets.

however, keep in mind that a 180 grain partition or flat based bullet will stableize in a slower twist barrel than a 180 vld. The LENGTH of the bullet is the factor that we should be concerned with. I have an 11 twist on my tikka and from what I understand a 208 is about the longest bullet I can reasonably stablize. If you go to an ultra fast twist you may have problems shooting ultra light short bullets. but I highly doubt that you will ever notice anything if you intend to shoot anything above 150 grain and go w/ a 10 twist.

Now, If you were talking about a 22-250 improved and a 7 twist barrel to shoo the 90 gr vld bullets... good luck trying to fire a 40 grain pill out of it. as the bullet gets lighter, the bullet will naturally get pushed faster in the same rifle. I cant' remember what the critical RPM's that certain bullets will hande is, but think about it... if you have the choice from a 7" twist or a 14" twist the bullets RPM's will DOUBLE. you can not hardly "overstablize" a bullet, but you can spin it to the point of flying apart. However, when you start to shoot the really heavy bullets, speed will reduce some, and with the faster twist the RPM's will stay within reasonable limits.

back to the 30 cal question... most rifles are chambered in from 10-12 twist. I think that some guys here have built the (forgive me for bringing it up agian) 300 varminter a WSM build around a 110 or 125 grain bullet. I think I've seen 1-15 twist written down. This would be good for that rifle because you are pushing a light jacketed bullet at great speeds so you don't want to stress it more than you have to thus you would like a slower twist barrel. BUTT with the slow twist barrel you will NOT ever stablize a heavier hunting bullet.

A guy from Sierra told me over the phone a couple years ago when I was going through the same problem in a potential build... (something to the affect of the following in quotes)"as long as you are not shooting the lightest bullets you shouldn't have to worry about having too fast of a spin on your barrel as long as you stay within reason"

Sorry for the long reply but if it was me I would get a barrel set for the throat of the bullet you intend to use and a twist rate that will have room for a heavier bullet if you so choose.

I would also look at shooting heavier bullets however (200-220g weights imho- plenty of power to utilize the potential of these higher BC bullets)

sorry for the long and winded post... apparently I am procrastinating so I don't have to clean the garage lol!

Thanks alot that helped me out alot , im leaning to the 10 twist but i just wanted to hear what someone else had to say about it. Thanks for the information on what the twist does and how it effects light and heavy bullets that is very good info. thanks alot britz

gator

I would go with the 1-11 for up to 220 gr bullets.

the 300 WSM is running 210 VLDs all day long with 1-11 and zero problems. In fact that is the go to twist and bullet in the 1K BR game with the WSM.

You will get less pressure and a little bit more MV with the slower twist.

With the Weatherby you can easily run even 220s with the 1-11.

I was running 240s in my 1-10 with the weatherby.

Lot of great 180 and 200 gr 30 cal bullets, so plenty to choose from.

BH

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.