Opinions requested....

I am looking to purchase a new 7MM Magnum, bolt action rifle. It will be a 7MM mag due to lots of reloading experience and sufficient dies, components and more. I am researching a rifle that has a synthetic stock, 24"-26" bbl., muzzle brake, prefer stainless but wrapped bbl. would be OK. Not looking to break the bank but a good quality, accurate, light weight shooter would be a consideration. Did I say light weight? Prefer no more than 7 pounds without base, rings and scope.
This will be my last rifle purchase, have said this before, due to my age of 75 years and counting. This rifle will be passed down to our only grandchild/grandson who has some hunting experience and is looking to hunt with his old grandad in the future.
Thank you all for your valuable input. MTG

For my taste, I prefer magnums to either be braked or ~9.5#. My 7RM and 7WSM are both ~9.5# and not braked.

I really prefer to go without the brake and will carry more weight to avoid it.

So when I wanted what you described, I went with the 280AI.

I felt like 7mm rem mag *factory ammo* advertised velocities would meet my needs.

But make no mistake, the 280AI is not going to keep up with the 7RM or any other true 7mm magnum if both are reloaded to their potentials.

I am happy with my choice, even though I am much more of a push feed afficiando (e.g., if I had the option at the time, I would have preferred the Barrett Fieldcraft over the Kimber). Not sure where your budget limit falls but there are certainly options that cost more than the Montana (and the Kimber Hunter is not a bad choice if the Montana is more expensive than you'd like). I strongly considered Tikka and even Savage but I have never liked the feel of either action in a lightweight form. Hard to argue that they are not great options, though, if you feel differently than I do.

Bucky, had a 280AI. Super accurate but fence post heavy. Know the differences. Have not made up my mind by any stretch as yet. Don't need a 6.5PRC, 7PRC or anything of that nature. I do own a 260AI that shoots bug holes with 120 BT. But, need a thumper that will take BIG game. My 7MM Magnum Sako is also a fence post to carry. But, who knows? Might carve the **** thing up if I don't come up with a resolution by summer. MTG

Attachments

• 6BFDE888-58EC-4DAA-9EE6-CD6F03421CCB.jpeg
    6BFDE888-58EC-4DAA-9EE6-CD6F03421CCB.jpeg
    628.4 KB · Views: 35
I completely understand the weight issue. I have a 7RM Bergara that is very heavy. It just never goes on a hunt with me. It is great when shooting at the range though. I went with a 280AI on my latest rifle and it is under 8.5 lbs. ready to hunt. If you get the right twist, you can open up your options for heavier for caliber cup and core or longer monos. If I get 3000 fps with 160+ gr. bullet, there is not a elk standing that will not succumb to that projectile if I do my part.

I won a vanguard at ducks unlimited dinner a few years back…. What a pile of ****. Didn't have it two weeks and gave it away
Well that was a mistake. Very good actions, trigger and bottom metal. Japanese manufacturing and supposedly hammer forged barrel. I bore scoped mine and saw chatter marks. Anyway I'm assuming you had poor accuracy. Since the stock is junk and the #2 barrel heats quickly I'm guessing that's why they put a pressure pad near the forend. A vain attempt to quell harmonics. I didn't even waste time or effort on it, I just put a full aluminum bedding block HS Precision on it.
The barrel is threaded so I also got an EC Tuner/ brake to put on it.

I'm sure there's an occasional factory off the shelf tack driver but I'm 64 and haven't seen one yet.

Attachments

• C958FE62-AAD1-4535-B44B-D36038A3A9E2.jpeg
    C958FE62-AAD1-4535-B44B-D36038A3A9E2.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 32
Really? I'll fully admit to my disdain of Tikka. I hate how they look, feel in my hand, the shape of the bolt handle, and the glazed over jim Jones cult like following...... but dang do they shoot. Give the devil it's due, 20 years ago you'd have to spend Tikka money on top of a decent rifle to get even close to what an average Tikka can do accuracy wise. While the Kool aid isn't for me, doesn't mean there isn't any validity to it.

I've got a savage 12 that flat out shoots, not sure if it's the barrel or the floating head lockup but it straight up stacks them. Now it's not without it's faults, 2 out of 3 of my accutriggers decided to morph from triggers to permanent safetys (one decided it didn't want to function on a caribou hunt) and one of my savages has a bolt with some intrinsic flaw so bad even black lock tight can't keep its bolt handle from rattling off. But amazingly they flat out shoot.

I'd track the opposite direction and say almost all modern factory guns are shockingly accurate considering even recent historical context.

Given the op's requirement of weight and budget it definitely narrows the field a bit. But I'd Hazzard a guess that most suggested 7 lbd rifles will shoot as good as the 75 year old running it from a field position...

Seems like it boils down to picking ergonomic features more than anything. Want crf/push feed, 90 or 60 degree bolth throw? Does the stock fit? Does it have readily available stocks that do? These things probably matter more in the current market.

A lite, 7mmRM with heavy bullets will kick like a mule.
I would get a Rem 700 and have it coated. 22" barrel and add a break. If you want get a Bell & Carlson stock. Not really necessary because the finish Remington uses is almost water proof. I forget their name for it.
Pic. is my Rem 700 7mmRM shooting off hand. (I don't shoot from the bench after sight in)

Attachments

• Rem 700 7mmMag .jpg
    Rem 700 7mmMag .jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 29
  • Remington 700 7mm 300 yd target.JPG
    Remington 700 7mm 300 yd target.JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
My price range has little to do with what might be my future choice. Albeit, I would rather invest in a reasonably priced rifle and build.....perhaps. Perhaps not! My appointments and additions.
I have been researching Remington 700 SPS, SS only to find nothing on the market.....currently. Tikka seems to be a very nice firearm. Never owned one nor handled such. It is in my benefit to continue to take into account all opinions offered.
As far as a 75 year old man afield I can STILL stalk/hunt. Slower mind you. But slow is smooth. Smooth is fast. Come to no conclusions regarding my aged capabilities.
Again, I will continue to read, observe and consider. MTG

Hunt hard, waste nothing, offer no excuses.

I saw a 7mm mag at scheels a few years ago when I was there and it had a straw barrel, plastic stock, and weighed all of 4 lbs. It was lighter than my son's 22lr. And then I noticed they had a rack full of them. Not long after, they were on the used/traded rack. 🙄

Just like the 300 Weatherby a decade ago when lite weight was all the fad. One model came with the #1 pencil barrel and under 6 pounds‼️😳
It probably worked better as a wisdom teeth remover than a gun to hit anything with.

It's not a criticism of you at 75, just a broader observation of the realities of aging and physiology. Give 5 guys under 30 a sub 7 lbd 7 rem to shoot a box of ammo from field positions, now recreate that with 50 and then 75 year olds. Betcha can plot a trend in both efficacy and experience. Again, not a criticism as the goal is to live long enough to someday see the effects of aging.

I'm not sure what your gun shop situation is, but around here we're gun heavy and ammo and component light. It's a good time to load up and hit up the big box's as well as the lgs and see what's out there. Most let you fiddle enough with them to get an idea of if it fits, handle enough and one will standout.

Fitment is very subjective, one of my guys absolutely loves his Christensen mesa stock. Says it's the sveltest grip he's has since the fieldcraft, says most modern grips are bulky and cumbersome. It's probably my least favorite stock, and his fieldcraft feels like a kids toy. Granted he's 5' 6" 138lbds and medium gloves fit a liner for him, I'm just shy ofba foot taller than him just over 100 pounds heavier and in the same brand glove need 2xl if even for thin liners. His bulky 2x4 feeling stock is my "just right". Only way to be sure is shoulder as many as you can get your hands on.

I saw a 7mm mag at scheels a few years ago when I was there and it had a straw barrel, plastic stock, and weighed all of 4 lbs. It was lighter than my son's 22lr. And then I noticed they had a rack full of them. Not long after, they were on the used/traded rack. 🙄
Oh yes those were the Kimber Mountain ascents that flooded the market about 5-6 years ago in seven mag and 300 short mag. One of the local Kimber dealers said he'd sell them in those cartridges and then have them consigned for 400 less within 2 months. I should have picked one up in both 300 and 7 mag for donors to smaller bore wildcats. Think the 300 short mag could be had as light as 4 lb 11 oz.... can you imagine that with a full Kilt 165 from a 300 short mag...

Sub 7 is not a crazy goal that's only about a half a pound away from where a lot of mainstream or at least what we think of as mainstream guns land at.

My price range has little to do with what might be my future choice. Albeit, I would rather invest in a reasonably priced rifle and build.....perhaps. Perhaps not! My appointments and additions.
I have been researching Remington 700 SPS, SS only to find nothing on the market.....currently. Tikka seems to be a very nice firearm. Never owned one nor handled such. It is in my benefit to continue to take into account all opinions offered.
As far as a 75 year old man afield I can STILL stalk/hunt. Slower mind you. But slow is smooth. Smooth is fast. Come to no conclusions regarding my aged capabilities.
Again, I will continue to read, observe and consider. MTG

Hunt hard, waste nothing, offer no excuses.
It's a Pricer option, but the Proof Elevation in 7mm Rem Mag is a nice light option and is essentially a high-end custom for less than a custom price. It comes with a 1:8.4 twist barrel so it will handle the heavier bullets that have favor these days and you have 2 stock color choices.

You can find these at some retailers like Scheels and Sportsmans Warehouse.

Seekins also has a custom shop that will make you a nice custom for a reasonable price and you might get one under 7ish lbs. Their lead time is likely pretty high.

For my taste, I prefer magnums to either be braked or ~9.5#. My 7RM and 7WSM are both ~9.5# and not braked.

I really prefer to go without the brake and will carry more weight to avoid it.

So when I wanted what you described, I went with the 280AI.

I felt like 7mm rem mag *factory ammo* advertised velocities would meet my needs.

But make no mistake, the 280AI is not going to keep up with the 7RM or any other true 7mm magnum if both are reloaded to their potentials.

I am happy with my choice, even though I am much more of a push feed afficiando (e.g., if I had the option at the time, I would have preferred the Barrett Fieldcraft over the Kimber). Not sure where your budget limit falls but there are certainly options that cost more than the Montana (and the Kimber Hunter is not a bad choice if the Montana is more expensive than you'd like). I strongly considered Tikka and even Savage but I have never liked the feel of either action in a lightweight form. Hard to argue that they are not great options, though, if you feel differently than I do.
I had a newer Savage 110 Storm that was rougher than a 2 dollar hooker. I will say it was accurate when it shot, the difficulty was getting the rifle to chamber rounds effectively. I ended up getting rid of it. For a budget rifle I wished I had gone the Tikka T3x or Sauer 100 route.