Opinions on barrel length please

I am leaning towards the 26" barrel. I guess now it comes down to will it be too long with a brake on it also.

How about getting the brake on the 26" barrel, and use the brake for sighting in and range use, then remove it for hunting? That way it won't be too long to be dragging around the mountain.
Just shoot a couple rounds without the brake to see if it affects the point of impact.

To say you are losing A LOT of performance in that 2" is a stretch, you'd be way better off with two inches somewhere else :D

hahaha. good one. :)

You are right about the numbers, and I think this discussion should be valuable to the OP of this thread.

I look at building a rifle to maximize the capability of the rifle while still fitting into my style of hunting. I like light rifles because I backpack hunt, but barrel length has never bothered me. I've shot plenty of elk within 30-50 yards with a 28" barreled rifle, in very thick cover.

I also have an ultralight pack rifle that is very handy and built on WSM cartridge. short action, shorter 24" barrel, and the biggest downside is it kicks like a mule on crack. It's not ideal for long range prone shots.

I think the 300 win mag is better suited to a longer barrel for a long range setup, and that is just my preference. I think a 26-28" barrel optimizes the performance for a long range application, but can still be light enough to pack.

Always a tradeoff, and each of us have our preference. And that's part of the fun of building a rifle of your own!

I was asking myself the same question not long ago. I went with a 26" #3 BRUX. Length is nice with a Holland Brake. Should of went with a #4 contour though. Rifle shoots awesome with 215's at just over 3000 fps. Go with the 26" and if you don't like it get it shortened. Specs on my rifle are. Borden Timberline action, Mcmillan game scout, jewel trigger, SHV 5-20X56 with a Holland brake. Complete weighs 10LB 2 OZ. Just finished load development and need some nice weather to try it at extended ranges.

Beeman you just built my gun... well at least w/ the same stock. How do you like it? I'm waiting on my stock right now I have my bart barrel, stiller action, and jewell ready to go.

Timber, I've often found myself trying to duck not so low limbs and still getting hung up on them. My point to the op is though longer is faster it may not always be better. The reality of it is that 50fps amounts to a pile of fly crap in your pepper, you'll never see or know the difference. If you're running a thin contour the longer the barrel the more whip you get and the more finicky load development can be.

Hell, split the difference 25" or get WILD and go 24.75". My smith has built a many 300wm at 25" for himself and others. I may do the same w/ my 26" blank.

Then again, you can always cut the barrel down. But make sure you chrony it first and report back to use after the snip.

Beeman, you nearly built my rifle too... I've got a 26" Hart #4 fluted contour barrel (no brake) on a Borden Timberline, McMillan A3 stock, jewell trigger.

But you are really getting some impressive velocity. I can get up to about 2950 fps with the 215 without pressure signs, but my accurate 1/4moa loads come in at 2850.

I went with a McMillan Game Scout edge fill on my 338 RUM (also on a Borden Timberline, Hart 27" w/ 4-port muscle brake)... I love the game scout for a hunting rifle... same grip as the A3 for my big hands, but a rounded and more narrow forearm. Rifle without the scope weighs 8 lbs.

With a 26" barrel what contour would you guys recommend to avoid whip?

I can really only afford to do this once so I need to do it right for me. I will go heavier contour on the barrel if it means more stability and accuracy, and just find something else to ditch in my pack to lighten the load.

Jim Borden built both my 300 win mag and 338 RUM. He said for both he would go down to a #3 fluted. I went with a #4 fluted on the 300 and a straight #4 on the 338.

Both rifles are proven 1/4 MOA rifles. I would not be afraid of a #3 contour for a 300 win mag especially if built by a good gunsmith. I like the balance and overall weight of a #4 for my long range rifles, that's just my preference.

I can really only afford to do this once so I need to do it right for me. I will go heavier contour on the barrel if it means more stability and accuracy, and just find something else to ditch in my pack to lighten the load.

The heavier the more stable and longer = faster neither will antiquate accuracy. A heavier gun is easier to shoot accurately, but doesn't mean it is more accurate than the next. Especially in a hunting cold bore 1-2 shots. But the trick is finding that happy medium to satisfy your needs. People go on $10,000+ sheep hunts w/ 6lb rifles... again comes back to preference and practicality.

Every barrel whips, but thicker shorter barrels whip less.

Timber, how does that mcm edge balance out? I have an HTG edge on a 280 savage w/ a light varmint barrel and it is borderline tippy. I love how light and solid they are tho! I opted to not go the edge route on my 300 b/c I may get a cheek riser and my barrel was going to be slightly heavier than my 280. I have yet to have a GS in my hands, I'm anxious to get it.

Timber, how does that mcm edge balance out? I have an HTG edge on a 280 savage w/ a light varmint barrel and it is borderline tippy. I love how light and solid they are tho! I opted to not go the edge route on my 300 b/c I may get a cheek riser and my barrel was going to be slightly heavier than my 280. I have yet to have a GS in my hands, I'm anxious to get it.

With my 27" #4 barrel plus 4-port brake, it is a bit nose heavy with such a light-weight Edge fill stock... but when I carry the rifle it only makes about an inch of difference where my hand holds the rifle when I'm stalking through the forests. I actually like the position because it gets the center of my wrist forward and away from the turrets on my scope.

When I shoot the rifle, it feels great with a bipod installed (what I use at the range for load development) or just resting over a backpack (how I shoot in the field). And I actually prefer a bit more weight/inertia in the barrel even for close up shots off shooting sticks or kneeling/sitting off-hand. But, depending on the rest that I use when I clean the rifle, I have to be careful not to let the rifle tip forwards if it's a smaller rest.

Overall I love the overall weight of the setup... I was willing to trade a bit of nose heavy for the light weight... again a trade off that fits my style of backpack hunting. I tried to configure the rifle to be the perfect blend of long range capability while still being fast up close and light to pack. Game Scout certainly fits the bill for that. I traded weight to the barrel for stiffness/inertia and saved it with the edge fill.

When you discuss barrel contours, you need to make sure you know what brand they are talking about. You have already said Bartlein is your brand of choice. A Bartlein #4 contour is a monster compared to other brands.

A Bartlein 3, that you mentioned earlier, is the same as a Krieger #4. It is the same as a Brux #4 that Len Backus puts on his 26" 300 Winchester Mags.

Timber338. Your 300 WIN sounds very similar to my 6.5 SHERMAN that Jim Borden built for me. As far as accuracy goes; so far it is unreal! started at 73 gr of H1000 and stopped at 79 gr. We built two rifles almost the same. My friends is on a stiller with a Manners EH-1. The rest is the same as mine. Both reacted the same during load development at 100 yds. Seven different powder charges all shot a ragged 1 hole group. I am using NOSLER brass and he is using PRIVI. The Privi is quite a bit heavier than the Nosler brass so his is loaded at 77 gr of H1000 for 2965 FPS. We were both worried about barrel whip. So far so good. We will try and shoot them out to 700 yds and see how they react. I think my MV is accurate but only shooting at distance will tell. I got 3015 fps entered into SHOOTER.

Well I ended up calling Bartlein and they recommended their #3 contour so that's what I ordered in 26" with a brake.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.