Opinions wanted on a new wildcat idea, please offer opinion...

Roy,

She will fit in a BAT receiver very well, in fact designed for that receiver as it is available, reasonably priced and McMillan inlets for them, most of them anyway.

No need for a BMG receiver, that was one of my design requirements.

Yes, the Iveys would come in handy with this round!!!

Thanks,

Kirby Allen(50)

BJlooper,

I hear you on the recoil issue, the brake will need to be designed to control this recoil to a very managable level in a lighter weight rifle.

This is an issue for sure but one that I think can be easily solved with a properly designed brake.

Kirby Allen(50)

BJ,

The Kahn necked up to 50 cal would basically be the 50 Peacekeeper and no it does not have enough horsepower to get to the performance levels I want. Many have said the 50 Peacekeeper will get you a solid 2400 fps with a 750 gr A-Max. In reality the rifles I have seen and the tests I have read about from those that I would trust have said its more like a 2300 fps tops round with upper end loads.

STill potent but well behind what I am looking to get. Also, the Norma cases are soft and will not stand up to high pressures like a 408 CT case will.

You would have to run the 50 Peacekeeper very high in pressure to even get near this class of performance and in any conventional factory receiver I would not recommend this. If you wanted to load to the 2100-2200 fps range I would say this would be one of the better choices but not for what I want to do.

Kirby Allen(50)

Dave,

Ya its the CT case. I am not going to shorten it though, leave her at its Full Length and go from there.

I also agree, while I feel the Rem 700 can handle the Kahn size case, I do not like loading it to 65,000 psi with this size case in the Rem 700. to be honest, I do not like loading the Norma made cases that hot anyway, they will not last long at all.

The CT will just give me more HP to reach the performance levels I want without straining any receivers.

Kirby Allen(50)

JDJones,

Not sure if the shoulder diameter would be sufficent enough with a RUM for high pressure loading. I have seen some test using rounds such as the '06 necked up to a nearly straight walled case and there were issues as far as consistant primer ignition because the shoulders were not supporting the case enough when the firing pin impacted the primer.

I have thought about a 475 on the RUM case and that should work fine but I think the 50 cal is a bit much.

IT certainly would be a thumper though!

Kirby Allen(50)

yea your right I never realy gave the shoulder that much thought , man it looks like we have finaly discovered a reason for the belted cases!!

me and soe buddies were discussing a truely quiet semi long range (500yds) anti personal weapon and were toyed with the thought of driving a 750-900gr bullet at 1000fps though a supressornot total sure what the trajectory would be like but it would have to be better than the sub sonic 308 stuff.

See what playing with H&K MP-5SD's does for ya /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

A 50CT was going to be made sometime. That time may as well be now.

I think your direction will lead to an excellent product. The powders nowadays would suit the case volume vs pressure vs cal very well.

I am sure you have thought about using H869, Retumbo and H50BMG. If recent reports on H869 continue to hold true, that might just be the next best cannon powder.

I am not familiar with BAT actions. Will have to take a look.

The dream of having a repeating cannon is starting to have appeal.

However, being in the 'north', 338 will likely be as big as I can get.
Jerry

The thery sounds great it would be awsome here in Australia with 750gr A MAx's for long range camel distruction what case do you think you will go with if it is on a 505 case/ 408 they could be rebated and single loaded into a large ring Mauser could be an awsome way to go or even a magnum Ruger that was a 416 rigby then loaded single shot aswell with a ruger a stainless insert could be tig welded into the bottom to fill in the mag cut out and stiffen it up a replacement trigger and a weaver type conversion base and it would be good to go and quite cost effective.

Does any one have a drawing or the 416 Barret what are the dimensions i have only heard about the new case.

Cheers Bill
Australia

Wild Bill,

The 408case would not be a good choice for a mauser action, unless it has 1.125 or bigger thread tennon. The 505 gibbs case is different and uses a much lower chamber pressure. To be safe the 408 should have 1.125 or bigger thread tennon for the barrel, my actions use 1 3/16" x 16 tpi for safety. Right now there are only several actions suitible for the 408 based cartridges.

As to the 416 barret case, its a shortened 50cal BMG case, the case looks to be around 3" long, necked to .416 dia bullets using a special lathe turned bullet. This will require a BMG type action.

Kirbys 50cal on the C-T case will or would make a great dangerous game round as well, can you imagine a double rifle with that cartridge.

I am working on a short BMG case necked down to .408 cal, but check my website for details, i dont want to hi-jack Kirbys posts.

Have a good one!

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.