OCW test results

For me I'm a 90-100% case fill guy because I believe its more consistent and I run my loads to find pressure so I know were im at.
If its say a 28 Nosler thats only at 63.6 with H1000 how do you know were the ladder test is without all info its just an example.

Vertical has nothing to do with an OCW you are looking for no POI shift. Based on your target your stable load is 63.2. Do seating depth testing at 63.2 then you can tweak either side of 63.2 to see if it will tune smaller.

If the test results are not repeatable either your form is no good or the combo is not stable in your rifle. The OCW and the ladder test(real ladder at long distance not the trash some shoot at 100 and call a ladder) are very repeatable and very reliable for a high confidence, no poi shift load.

Last edited:
Looking at the target I'd try loading more around 62.6 and run a seating depth test. The center of both 62.4 and 62.8 is very close. Both groups threw a flier but even if you throw them out of each grouping you see the other 4 holes show a very similar POI.

Ok I lurk way to long here as i dont want to embarrass myself too much, but i need to start learning so here goes. What the heckfire is OCW and what does it tell you or try to?

I hope to not regret asking .....gulp

Looks to find a "node" where a small change in powder charge weight has little to no effect on point of impact.
Thx L sherm
Tiny tim. So what if you are changing powder charge and you have almost no change in velocity is that also a NODE or is it more related to POI changes or lack there of being considered a node. Thx

Thx L sherm
Tiny tim. So what if you are changing powder charge and you have almost no change in velocity is that also a NODE or is it more related to POI changes or lack there of being considered a node. Thx
Theoretically,,yes. Its purpose is to find a point in barrel harmonics that is largely unaffected by a small charge weight change if I understand it correctly. The barrel is therefore in the same point in its movement as the bullet exits the barrel.

Ok I lurk way to long here as i dont want to embarrass myself too much, but i need to start learning so here goes. What the heckfire is OCW and what does it tell you or try to?

I hope to not regret asking .....gulp
445: there are no stupid questions here. 95+% of the participants are way smarter and more experienced than I am, and they will gladly explain things to you, as witnessed by the responses to your post.
Working up a new load consists of 2 important steps (after you select your powder and bullet), which are determining "Optimum (powder) Charge Weight," and optimum seating depth of your bullet. The OCW is pretty simple to accomplish, as you will see in this thread. Seating depth involves a lot more testing of different loads (depths), and I have decided is an art form. I've learned from the LRH forum that some people will say do the OCW test first, and later the seating depth test. But others will say do the opposite.
Nonetheless, learn and enjoy. In the last two years, I have learned more from intensively reading and applying what I read here than in the previous 33 years of casual reloading. Beware: IT IS AN ADDICTION!