OCW test results

Berry228

Hello all,

Today I did an OCW test at 100yrds. I'm thinking that I have found my node but I would like to see if you all agree with me. The loads that I'm looking at is 4,5,6. I'm wondering if the upper most shot in group 5 was pulled. If so, The group would fall right in line with 4 and 6. What do you all think?

Attachments

• OCW test.jpg
    OCW test.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 386
228, group 1 looks outstanding and seems to open up the next two. Not knowing any specifics like rifle, caliber, bullet, powder, primer, barrel twist and length, perhaps the load charge for #1 and go a couple tenths less at a time to see when it opens up. Also try the best loads at 200yds or more. Again not knowing any specifics, that looks darned good for a factory rifle and a great start for a custom barrel.

The rifles specs are, Remington 700 semi custom .338 Edge. 28" 9.3 twist brux barrel. shooting 300gr SMKs with Rem brass, CCI 250s, over H1000.

Dosh - Did you not like group 4? Seems to me like that was tighter than group 1 and it was close to all of the other groups. I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm just interested in your advice

The OCW is NOT about chasing the smallest group. It IS about finding a stable load. If you made me choose one it would be 4 but I would check out 5 as stated above. It is possible that 1 could be a good load you would need to load opposite the 2 charge. I assume you are increasing charge as your numbers go up in which case I would not be chasing the lower node.

The rifles specs are, Remington 700 semi custom .338 Edge. 28" 9.3 twist brux barrel. shooting 300gr SMKs with Rem brass, CCI 250s, over H1000.

Dosh - Did you not like group 4? Seems to me like that was tighter than group 1 and it was close to all of the other groups. I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm just interested in your advice

Nice rifle, #1 appeared a perfect triangle, stacked or horizontal groups can turn into strings at longer ranges, but 24 is right if #1 is the lowest charge you may want to pursue the hotter loads. Again with the equipment mentioned, try a few of the same loads at 200 or more yds to see what you get. Good luck

Look around those 4 and 5 charge weights, especially if you may have pulled that high one. Looks like a nice stable loading there. See where the consistency is. I will take a consistent .75 moa load over an inconsistent .4moa load any day of the week.

Not sure on your velocity or goals, but that low end charge may be worth looking at if you cannot find what you want on the upper end. I have had a couple rifles that REALLY shot well with with a lower charge than I expected.

Get some distance in there since you have an idea where to be. Much much easier to compare inches to quarter inches etc. I would try it at 300 or 400 if you have enough range. That will let you see if you are really where you need to be on the charge weight as long as your conditions are okay and shooting is clean!

Guys, stop suggesting he go further out. Read about the OCW and stop getting hung up on the large group size of 3, 5, and 6. Stay at 100 finish the OCW. Take the loads in the node as suggested and play with seating depth. You have already started the OCW now finish it. If you were dead set on farther distance you would be better served using the ladder test. Did you happen to use a chrono?

What were the corresponding powder charges? The powder increments are important to know. I'm leaning towards your node being #4. It appears to me that #3 is coming in, #4 is in, and #5 is on it's way out.

The ladder is not "better" for longer distance, it is just shot at longer distance. A true OCW load is good for any distance. With that said, based on the target I agree that load 4 appears to be the node. It would be good to know the charge weights. With loads 3 & 5, there are two rounds touching and a third flier. When you see that on an OCW, it is often shooter induced. It appears load 6 is a scatter node. You can reduce that load by 1.5% and that should be an accuracy node. Does that coincide with your weights between #4 & #6?

Please provide the charge weights and we can be more help.

FWIW

The ladder is not "better" for longer distance, it is just shot at longer distance. A true OCW load is good for any distance. With that said, based on the target I agree that load 4 appears to be the node. It would be good to know the charge weights. With loads 3 & 5, there are two rounds touching and a third flier. When you see that on an OCW, it is often shooter induced. It appears load 6 is a scatter node. You can reduce that load by 1.5% and that should be an accuracy node. Does that coincide with your weights between #4 & #6?

Please provide the charge weights and we can be more help.

FWIW

I assume this is pointed at me. My statement was not intended to say one is better than the other just that the OCW should be shot at closer range. Both will give a great long range load. The OCW is best perform at 100 yards. The ladder is best performed closer to the distance you intend to shoot. I would say at least 400 yards but farther is better. The farther out you shoot a OCW the harder it is too read. I would back up what the others are saying it would be helpful if we know the powder charges.

Last edited:
Sorry if it sounded that way but not pointed at you. Just clarifying "just in case". You never know who will read these and how they will interpret the info.

I don't pretend to be an expert on these matters, but do have a good bit of experience with the OCW method. I don't call out others on their posts, but may try to clarify as in this case. When it comes to load development, to each their own. Some like the ladder, some OCW, some use a combination. The 6.5 Guys take issue with the round robin part of the OCW as it requires you to rebuild your shooting position for each shot. They have yet another method. They all work. Certain aspects make one method more forgiving than others.

Again, sorry if it sounded like I was being cantankerous.

I did not take it that way. I just realized that my post may need clarification. I actually just read the 6.5 guys method. I personally like the round robin for the reason Dan states. I prefer the ladder test but I have modified my method as well. I am starting to notice that some of my best loads at 600 plus yards will not make tiny groups at one hundred.

Most of y'all are asking what the powder charges were. They are listed 1-6. 88.3, 88.8, 89.4, 89.9, 90.5, 91.0

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.