Ocw test

Cassidy taylor

Can you fellas read this test? I wanna see if my thoughts are correct.

Attachments

• _20160309_164222.jpg
    _20160309_164222.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 114
For me it looks like load #4, then fine tuning the coal. Loads 3,4,5 when triangulated appear to have a close poi. Just my thoughts.

If you draw a line from bullet hole to bullet hole forming a triangle and then put a dot or an x or whatever centered in the triangle, that center point will be similar on targets 3,4, and 5. Therefore with 4 being the middle of the 3 loads, it would be your ocw start point. Then you would begin tightening up the groups by adjusting cartridge overall load length. You didn't specify your load to load increment, but could also adjust a 1/10 grain or so either side of target 4's charge to whittle group down possibly even further.

If you guys don't mind would you tell me what you are seeing?

We are referring to the "optimal charge weight" AKA ocw. The idea is to have 3 successive loads that are around 1% increments that shoot within 1 MOA of each other. You choose the middle load so you have a load 1% higher and 1% lower that have the same point of impact. That way a slight increase or decrease in pressure shoots the same.

4 also, I would play a little with seating depth and see if you can dial it in. If it doesn't get any better than what your seeing I would change powder or bullet weight. When OCW testing I look for the center of the node. To me this is several powder charges that have the same POI. I also run seating depth testing in the same fashion as OCW looking for the barrels favorite seating depth. Berger has a good seating depth testing procedure on their website.

Sorry fellas I've been super busy.. So my thoughts were 3-5 at first, but 7-8-9 have even closer poi.. The groups on these really opened up though.. I'm thinking I may need to switch powders cuz its not coming together.. I am doing one more test with different seating depths on 7-8-9.. If it don't shape up I'm gonna abort mission!

Sorry fellas I've been super busy.. So my thoughts were 3-5 at first, but 7-8-9 have even closer poi.. The groups on these really opened up though.. I'm thinking I may need to switch powders cuz its not coming together.. I am doing one more test with different seating depths on 7-8-9.. If it don't shape up I'm gonna abort mission!

My original reply was 8. I would take that load and work on bullet seating depth. I don't know what cartridge, bullet combo you're using or what seating depth that #8 load is at.

My original reply was 8. I would take that load and work on bullet seating depth. I don't know what cartridge, bullet combo you're using or what seating depth that #8 load is at.

Its my brothers 300 Rum. I'm developing the new 200 gr eldx bullets. I'm running Imr 7977.. Its been a tough gun to get to shoot, so that's why I'm gonna try 7-8-9.. Maybe 3-4-5 was a fluke node.. I just hope 7-8-9 ain't a scatter node and I can pull it together with seating depth.. Thanks for your thoughts!!

Personally I would shoot 5 again with 5 rounds and then work on it, it's got the best vertical spread.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.