OCW test distance for 338LM?

Keep in mind guys, that a bullet has no brain and cannot correct for error.

A good bullet can stabilize and not get much worse at some point (Some call this going to sleep) But if the load is 1 MOA at 100 yards it will rarely stay at 1 MOA if ever.

I always figure if I want a 1 MOA group @ 300 yards I have to get 1/2 MOA at 100 yards to have a chance to stay under 3" at 300 yards. With 1/4 MOA accuracy I can expect 1 to 2" groups or better at 300 yards. Most long range rigs need to shoot 1/2 MOA maximum. I consider a 1/2 MOA or better as a starting point for our sport.

If you have good shooting skills, On good days you should expect to hold the group size very close to the MOA of the rifle.

The best rifle in the world. can't make up for human error so get the rifle shooting as good as it can @ 100 yards and try to develop your skills so you can take advantage
of the rifles accuracy at any distance.

J E CUSTOM

What literally no one seems to get, is that Mr. Satterlee was using heavy for caliber bullets and slow powders and was pushing them at 100%+ load density to max pressure.

In his own words, during conversations with him, he also feels people fail with this method because they do not do proper brass prep.

His method was never intended to work under any other parameters. This is why it does not work for so many who try it.

What literally no one seems to get, is that Mr. Satterlee was using heavy for caliber bullets and slow powders and was pushing them at 100%+ load density to max pressure.

In his own words, during conversations with him, he also feels people fail with this method because they do not do proper brass prep.

His method was never intended to work under any other parameters. This is why it does not work for so many who try it.
Hey Dog, I didnt realize, I'm really not familiar with the caliber he was talking about, I think it was 6.5x284? Regardless i didnt pick up on that, nice catch

Hey Dog, I didnt realize, I'm really not familiar with the caliber he was talking about, I think it was 6.5x284? Regardless i didnt pick up on that, nice catch
The cartridge he was using in the famous (infamous?) video was the 6.5 Addiction (Sweedmoor). 147 grain pills w/4831 burn rate powder. I can't remember if it was H4831 or RL19.

Great read..... I'll do exactly that, it re as all makes sense...

Powder choice is critical with this method so be sure to pick the right one. Picking the wrong one with only 10 rounds fired your results can be all over the place when it comes to velocity. This is a good method for someone who uses Quickload and can use it to pick a powder.

This method is just a condensed method of the normal OCW but he is targeting a certain velocity and powder node / flat spot based on prior experience with the 6.5-284. Same method just condensed. Powder choice is critical with this method. He also mentions case capacities when choosing powder and this is what helps speed up the process.

You will also note that he mentions that with the lower node he found that this flat spot / velocity combination for this bullet was also accurate in another cartridge / chambering. This statement just shows how well the OCW / OBT method works.

I think you read to much into the case prep statement. He was talking about ES and SD's not velocity or velocity flat spots. Anybody can prep brass the right way and with good brass like Lapua brass you can use it right out of the box. I think what he is referencing here is most likely case weight or case capacities. Cases with different weights or capacities will have different pressures / velocities and in return have higher ES and SD's. What makes Lapua brass so good is not just that there is extra material at the head making it able to take higher pressures and in return get increased primer pocket life but that the capacities are very consistent within each lot.

I'd think you could mix both with a OCW test at a further distance.... which was my original thought..... thoughts?

I think you read to much into the case prep statement. He was talking about ES and SD's not velocity or velocity flat spots. Anybody can prep brass the right way and with good brass like Lapua brass you can use it right out of the box. I think what he is referencing here is most likely case weight or case capacities. Cases with different weights or capacities will have different pressures / velocities and in return have higher ES and SD's. What makes Lapua brass so good is not just that there is extra material at the head making it able to take higher pressures and in return get increased primer pocket life but that the capacities are very consistent within each lot.
That is a good theory, but I don't remember you being there for the discussion.

Btw, for those who may be curious what I've got to test is....
285gr ELD-M
Petersons brass
FGMM primers
H1000 powder @ 88.1-89.9 in 2 gr. increments.....

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.