Novice! Asking opinions/help!

Lahunter76

hello! Been lurking for along time now and have really enjoyed reading this forum a lot!
I just purcheds a used jap made Mark V in a 300 wby mag, I will eventually get into handloading BUT, not atm! My question is has anyone had any experience with the HSM Trophy Gold ammunition, looking at the 185 Berger VLD(3100 MV) or the 210 Berger VLD(3030 MV). I want to shoot Berger bullets and I have read a few reviews but I was just wondering what yalls opinions were? Also I will be using this rifle from anywhere of 50yds-500+yds, I know it's not LR for most on this forum but 500 is for me. Will be mostly shooting big body river white tail. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Btw the rifle is currently getting muzzle break, trigger job(Tim), Cherekote, I am using a VX 3 4.5-14x50 Leupold, will be replacing that with maybe a VX5HD 3-15x56 Leupold.

HSM is good factory ammo I have shot some in my 300 wsm . not many other options for factory bergers. in 300wby

You won't know until you try it, hopefully ur gun likes it. If not, I think hornady makes a 200eldx precision hunter ammo for 300wby

Hsm is good factory ammo, my brother has a 7 mag that will shoot it under 1/2 moa all day. What works in one gun may not work in another, you will just have to try some and see how it shoots in your rifle. It's pretty expensive if you plan on shooting much it wouldn't take long to recoup your money on reloading stuff.

Hsm is good factory ammo, my brother has a 7 mag that will shoot it under 1/2 moa all day. What works in one gun may not work in another, you will just have to try some and see how it shoots in your rifle. It's pretty expensive if you plan on shooting much it wouldn't take long to recoup your money on reloading stuff.
Thanks for the replies!!!

Each gun is different and completely understand that, I just do not know anything about HSM ammunition and was wondering if anyone on here did or had used them!!!

HSM advertises over 3000 FPS MV for the 210 VLDs but a couple other companies I have looked at is like 2800-2900 at best.

Yes you are correct and plan on it!! My cousin reloads and I will work with him some until I get set up, issue is he lives 45min and no where close to set up and shoot.

I swapped my Browning A-Bolt 300 WSM in a sporter style rifle for this one and I was very happy with the swap. I have killed a White Tail at just over 500 with my 300 wsm and ever since that I have been hooked but that's been several years ago, I was hooked ever since then, and just now getting to where I can start working on building what I had wanted as kinda an LR hunting rifle and also one that I hope to take to CO elk hunting in next couple years!!! Elk hunting has been this Louisiana boys dream hunt lol!

Welcome, here is my experience with hsm ammo. It's never shot well for me. I've tried is several guns and it's all over the board. It is great ammo though. Some people have great luck with it so I'm not badmouthing it. Berger tends to be sensitive to jump which the Weatherby has lots of. It may work very well in yours. Just don't get set on a specific bullet because if it doesn't shoot change. That being said if 500 is long keep in mind not to get hung up on BC of Bullets that only starts to come into play after 500ish yards. Speed is king under that.
When you get to the reloading part take a hard look at hammers. I've been a fan of every bullet but Barnes at one point. I'm now using hammer for almost everything. They are very easy to load for and work great on all kinds of game. Plus for your distance you will be running a lighter ie faster bullet which will have less drop.

76, the 210 Bergers should shoot well in your 300Wby. A friend shot a big elk here in Az with the HSM Bergers. Factory ammo for your Wby can get quite pricey. I have five Wbys, glad I reload or I'd be broke!

If you don't plan to reload only buy one box at a time of whatever you go with until you find what your gun likes. For deer 500 and in I would stay in the 160 class bullets. It will be more than enough bullet with that kind of speed. With 160 class bullets It will be fast and flat shooting. The flatter it shoots it will give you a little more room for error on your dope until you get a little more experience. IMO there are several brands that make quality ammo to get you to 500yds so be patient and willing to try several different boxes (if needed) and you will find one your gun will like.

If you don't plan to reload only buy one box at a time of whatever you go with until you find what your gun likes. For deer 500 and in I would stay in the 160 class bullets. It will be more than enough bullet with that kind of speed. With 160 class bullets It will be fast and flat shooting. The flatter it shoots it will give you a little more room for error on your dope until you get a little more experience. IMO there are several brands that make quality ammo to get you to 500yds so be patient and willing to try several different boxes (if needed) and you will find one your gun will like.

Good advice on only buying one box at a time to start. That being said if it takes half dozen different boxes of ammo at .300wby prices you'd be a pretty good ways to a reloading set up and not have 6 partial boxes of ammo sitting around unused.

Just my opinion but you don't have to break the bank to reload. I bought a Lee press and a good balance scale to start with and I have no problem building sub MOA loads in several rifles.

Believe it or not? My 6.5X284 shoots HSM ammo pretty darn good!
They have one loaded with a 142 Gr.SMK that I like. I bought a case so they should
all be the same lot. I have never tried other calibers..But I would!

Try some Barnes Vortex ammo also. I have been loading and hunting with Barnes TTSX bullets for years with my 300 WBY. My choice is 180 grain. It is big enough for ELK or bears and not too big for Deer and Antelope at around 3180FPS.

The HSM 185 has shot well in a custom and factory 300 Bee for me. You should have good luck with that.

We need like a factory ammo trader thread where guys can trade different factory rounds so they don't have to buy an entire box of $40 or $60 ammo just to figure out whether or not our guns like it....we can buy or trade for 3 rounds etc.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.