Novice: 308W to 600 yds...

If you check out the links in my previous post you will see that PMC only has (1) 168gr load, and that is clearly stated as Hornady and HPBT. No conjecture needed. Have a good one, Gary

OK here we go...finally had time to pull the bullet and shoot some pics...Note: I bought these about three years ago FRESH from my local gun shop...
Most likely ""discontinued"" as I can't find anything on the internet of this brand besides the one "diriel" kindly mentioned...
PSP Bullet weighed 168 grains...
Powder 41.1 grains of (?) ...

Attachments

• IMG_1566_powder.jpg
    IMG_1566_powder.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_1572_bullet.jpg
    IMG_1572_bullet.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_1577_ammo.jpg
    IMG_1577_ammo.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1583_ammobox.jpg
    IMG_1583_ammobox.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1587_AmmoBoxSide.jpg
    IMG_1587_AmmoBoxSide.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Not sure what the bullet is, it LOOKS like a Remington, but they don't a 168gr psp. Powder might be H335 or Benchmark. It looks like you may end up having to tinker a load up.

gary

Not sure what the bullet is, it LOOKS like a Remington, but they don't a 168gr psp. Powder might be H335 or Benchmark. It looks like you may end up having to tinker a load up.

gary

Hey Gary...yep, just might be the casegun)
I realize it is almost impossible to duplicate a factory load....but I was hoping I could get a hold of some bullets...LOL

Thanks for staying with me on this I appreciate it!!!

Well it's definitely NOT a HPBT :D

I'd say your guess is probably pretty close to right.

WildRose and backwoods83-

Thank you for the comments!!!

Yep, it ain't no HPBT that's for sure and just thought it would be easier to show you folks what I was looking at...

I'm sure I can work at finding a suitable 165gr hunting bullet to measure up, ...but I just thought if I could find THIS bullet, measure to the ogive to get my COAL, then find a very similar powder in terms of grains and burn rate....I was hoping to bark up the right tree a bit quicker in terms of load development.....hehehehe

Probably would be difficult cause I don't have a chrony to get the proximity of the velocity in check...LOL

Would've been nice though...but I'm still not clear,,,,

"""IF""" at one time Remington made a 168gr Corelockt PSP, that was not the Ultra-bonded type as they are making NOW, as I would prefer the former...cost being a factor and something being a bit more frangible for shots on deer at 600yds?

It's just that this ammo shot REALLY exceptional in this rifle...from lot-to-lot!

By the looks of it tho...I will be trying a 165 grain of something inexpensive...gun)

WildRose and backwoods83-

Thank you for the comments!!!

Yep, it ain't no HPBT that's for sure and just thought it would be easier to show you folks what I was looking at...

I'm sure I can work at finding a suitable 165gr hunting bullet to measure up, ...but I just thought if I could find THIS bullet, measure to the ogive to get my COAL, then find a very similar powder in terms of grains and burn rate....I was hoping to bark up the right tree a bit quicker in terms of load development.....hehehehe

Probably would be difficult cause I don't have a chrony to get the proximity of the velocity in check...LOL

Would've been nice though...but I'm still not clear,,,,

"""IF""" at one time Remington made a 168gr Corelockt PSP, that was not the Ultra-bonded type as they are making NOW, as I would prefer the former...cost being a factor and something being a bit more frangible for shots on deer at 600yds?

It's just that this ammo shot REALLY exceptional in this rifle...from lot-to-lot!

By the looks of it tho...I will be trying a 165 grain of something inexpensive...gun)
Give these a try that I recommended before. They are very good hunting bullets and have much higher BC's than any flat base bullet of similar weight.

My bet is that you come out very happy.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/novice-308w-600-yds-77688/index4.html#post546014

Have fun and keep shooting!

I'll try the SST first.....

But how is this bullet on deer 100 +/- yds....will it hold up?

Do folks make 2 loads one for inside 300 and one outside up to 600 yds in my scenario?

In that burn rate your between Imr4198 and 3031 which can be W748 H335, H322, RE10X, Benchmark, RE7 and a few others but a lot of those are ball powders or short cut, what you have is full grain which is why I said 4198 or even 3031 but that would be tame. If your looking for a bullet that is good for 600yrds, can be jumped that far, and is frangible, with a .49 bc the 168 Nosler BT is your best bet, and your better to a powder that is slow enough to compress or be real close to compressed. You said you had varget and 4064 and both can be compressed under a 168, I would not get overly excited the 308 is an easy cartridge to get good at loading.

The SST is basically Hornadys version of an accubond and its not up close you have to worry about, its further out when you have an impact velocity less than 1800fpss the SST may not reliably open.

In that burn rate your between Imr4198 and 3031 which can be W748 H335, H322, RE10X, Benchmark, RE7 and a few others but a lot of those are ball powders or short cut, what you have is full grain which is why I said 4198 or even 3031 but that would be tame. If your looking for a bullet that is good for 600yrds, can be jumped that far, and is frangible, with a .49 bc the 168 Nosler BT is your best bet, and your better to a powder that is slow enough to compress or be real close to compressed. You said you had varget and 4064 and both can be compressed under a 168, I would not get overly excited the 308 is an easy cartridge to get good at loading.

The SST is basically Hornadys version of an accubond and its not up close you have to worry about, its further out when you have an impact velocity less than 1800fpss the SST may not reliably open.

I appreciate this info..

I'll try the 165gr SST first with Varget, then IMR 4064 and see what kind of results I'm getting... I like the price @ Midway USA :D

If the results are less than stellar,...I'll try the 168gr NBT next.

Looks like I'll be having some fun real soon working up loads...Thank you everybody and I'll report back with my findings!

I really appreciate the help and easy-going attitudes here... Because of you all...I'm calling it home...thanks again! I'm stoked!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.