Novice: 308W to 600 yds...

I've killed a crapload of big game with several different .308's and 155gr scenars. That bullet has never let me down and I'll keep using it. I drive it at 2925 to 2960 fps with Varget.

Its not that the 3 grns difference makes them shoot different its the bullet design, the 168s are probably sierra mtach kings or speer match which are both bthp's the 165 psp or pointed soft point may be a speer spitzer or game king and may be the flat base version, design has more effect than weight typically unless you go to heavy to stabilize.

I see what you're saying...thank you!

But I'd like to find out what the PMC 168grainers are because the writing on the box says...168gr PSP....Maybe I should learn how to bullet the bullet take a pic and post here for verification?

I got me one of those hammer-type bullet removers here someplace but never had to use it before...pretty SCARED actually to try it....LOL.... :D

Those hammer type pullers work fine my friend. Just try not to bang the primer side on anything even remotely solid and you will be good to go! I did not mean to say Scenar's don't work for game, I just did not want to be the first to say go for it when I personally have never used one on game is all. I have heard quite a few times that they work real good. I live in California, so anything I hunt has to be with all copper bullets :( One of these days I really need to move to a free state. As for the 155gr Amax, a good friend of mine uses them out of state for taking deer and pigs. So although the info is 2nd hand, I fully believe what he tells me as he is a serious minded hunter, and I have seen quite a few pics. Gary

Those hammer type pullers work fine my friend. Just try not to bang the primer side on anything even remotely solid and you will be good to go! I did not mean to say Scenar's don't work for game, I just did not want to be the first to say go for it when I personally have never used one on game is all. I have heard quite a few times that they work real good. I live in California, so anything I hunt has to be with all copper bullets :( One of these days I really need to move to a free state. As for the 155gr Amax, a good friend of mine uses them out of state for taking deer and pigs. So although the info is 2nd hand, I fully believe what he tells me as he is a serious minded hunter, and I have seen quite a few pics. Gary

Right on...I'll give it a try if I can't find out from someone sooner what type of bullet it is... :)

Re: Novice: 308W to 600 yds...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@ Nomad,

You might mention that RL17 is temperature sensitive sir. Don't get me wrong, under the right circumstances it can definitely work well. I know the thread you are talking about, pretty cool read. That guy is shooting mainly at about 4500-5000 Ft. Elevation as well, which helps with bullet stabilization.

Have a good one,
Gary

Have used the powder at 2500 feet to 4000 feet and has been impressive at at varried
70-90 degrees brass looks good and the point of inpact at the 500 mark is stable....
Just my ......02.

The 165 load is a different recipe, you will find that most rifles like what they like and when you feed them something that is different than what they like groups will open up.

BTW, you may want to play with some 155gr Amax bullets as well. They BC on them is not as good as something like the Lapua Scenar, but they are actually a real nice bullet performance wise.

Lots of great advice has been given in this thread, you can hardly go wrong.

Gary
Yep, very few rifles will shoot sub .50 MOA with different loads. When you find one that will one hole for you, that's what you probably need to stay with. Otherwise it's going to take a hell of a lot of trial and error to ever duplicate it.

I'd go with a similar weight similar BC bullet.

First chrono what you are shooting now, then find a load that matches at least on paper that load pretty close and load a few up to see if you can indeed match the same performance.

When you find the load that does it, again, stay with what is working unless you just want to tinker with your loads and shoot a lot.

Yep, very few rifles will shoot sub .50 MOA with different loads. When you find one that will one hole for you, that's what you probably need to stay with. Otherwise it's going to take a hell of a lot of trial and error to ever duplicate it.

I'd go with a similar weight similar BC bullet.

First chrono what you are shooting now, then find a load that matches at least on paper that load pretty close and load a few up to see if you can indeed match the same performance.

When you find the load that does it, again, stay with what is working unless you just want to tinker with your loads and shoot a lot.

WildRose- Yes, those are my intentions for the reasons you mentioned...don't have the money to be tinkering too much with different bullets and loads:D

*** I'm looking at this PMC 168gr PSP ammo and I did some research on the internet today...and I can't find anyone that makes a 168gr PSP they are all HPBT's....other than the Hornady Ultra-bonded which this bullet is not...

Can anyone here tell me who made a 168gr. Pointed-Soft Point in the not too distant past...I bought this PMC ammo no more than three years ago max...

I really want to try these as they really impressed me...

Being able to acquire this bullet I'm now finding may be difficult...but I thought with knowing this bullet and length to ogive...I would only be fussing with finding a suitable powder to drive this thing....:D

I realize it don't always work out like that but it's a starting point at least...gun)

All this time I thought there was a 168 SGK PSP...but no it's a MK """HPBT""" which this bullet ain't...Yikes!

Last edited:
WildRose- Yes, those are my intentions for the reasons you mentioned...don't have the money to be tinkering too much with different bullets and loads:D

*** I'm looking at this PMC 168gr PSP ammo and I did some research on the internet today...and I can't find anyone that makes a 168gr PSP they are all HPBT's....other than the Hornady Ultra-bonded which this bullet is not...

Can anyone here tell me who made a 168gr. Pointed-Soft Point in the not too distant past...I bought this PMC ammo no more than three years ago max...

I really want to try these as they really impressed me...

Being able to acquire this bullet I'm now finding may be difficult...but I thought with knowing this bullet and length to ogive...I would only be fussing with finding a suitable powder to drive this thing....:D

I realize it don't always work out like that but it's a starting point at least...gun)
Hornady used I think to in the interlock. Is it a Boat Tailed bullet or flat base? If you dont' know pull one apart and look.

Remington actually makes a 168grn psp core lokt, and it very likely that is what's used in the PMC ammo. They are considered a flat base stitzer. Hope that helps.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.