Novice: 7RM out to 600 yds.

bajaaa

Hello All..

I'm glad to have found this awesome site, it has definitely sparked my interest as a hunter desiring to increase my self-imposed max from 300 yds to 600 yds. with extreme confidence; by understanding the art and through much practice before heading afield...

I have a new factory rifle Rem 798 7RM 24" barrel that's been GB/FF and I've only shot <40 rds of factory ammo to break-in the barrel WW 150gr. Power-Points 100yd 3-shot groups average sub-MOA.

I'm looking for up-to-date recommendations on a [best-value-for-$$$] variable-power scope and a practice and hunting bullet for deer and hogs.

I am a hand-loader.

Any help would be extremely appreciated...and its a pleasure to be on this site to learn from you all:D

Last edited:
Welcome to the site, I have a 7mm mag and I use 160 accubonds and 162 a-max. I use these bullets because of the high BC, especially the 162 a-max. Although I am about to switch to the 168 berger because the 162 a-max is unobtainable in New Zealand at the moment.
I tend to use the 160 AB inside 300 yards and the 162 a-max past 300 yards. My friend took a large feral pig with the 162 a-max at 386 yards with my rifle. DRT.
On my rifle I have a VX III 4.5 -14 x 40 LR. I like it, but don't know if it is the best value for money scope.

Hope this helps,

Stu.

Thanks Stu!

I have NO experience with the 7RM whatsoever!

Only been hunting with my 30-06 150grain Power-Points and 180gr Partition handloads. So whatever you folks can tell me about good hunting bullets in this chambering is a huge benefit for me. Why the differences in bullets for the ranges you mentioned...I don't know a thing about the A-max bullet, is it a too frangible bullet at close range for the speeds associated with the 7RM?

On the scope I was hoping for something a bit cheaper but still reliable...

Aloha!

Ro

Last edited:
The a-max is a soft bullet. I used it on some feral goats at ranges around 200 yards. All of them dropped on the spot. I can't remember whether the bullets exited or not, I know on at least one billy goat it did not exit on a broadside shoulder/chest shot.
They would not not be my first choice close range bullet. But being soft you get reliable expansion at long range. My friend shot a bull tahr with the 162 amax at 630 yards, the shot took it in the back of the ribcage and passed through, probably taking the spine out as well. Bull tahr are tough animals with thick skins and solid muscles.

The accubond is a controlled expansion, bonded core bullet. It is designed to behave like a partition bullet, but with a polymer tip and better BC. If you were only to use bullet in a 7mm mag, this is the one I would reccomend.

If you were definetly staying inside 600 yards you could look at using the 140 accubond and ballistic tip, they are essentially the same bullet, but the accubond is bonded and a stronger bullet. They have the same BC and would probably shoot identically. This means you could use the ballistic tip for practice and the accubond on game.

For powder, H4831 SC for the 140's H1000 for the 160's, although people also like R 22 for the 7 mag.

Hope all this helps, sorry no experience with that scope (you could possibly re-post that questions in the optics sections)

stu.

Stu thank you for being the sole source here today...it helps alot!

I'll be staying inside 600yds for a good long while so I'll give the 140 grainers a try to see if my rifle eats'um...I appreciate all you shared...:D

The A-Max and Berger's are probably the better extended range bullets, if for nothing else but their higher BC. I too limit my 7mag to 600 for deer. If I want to go further I bring the Edge. The 162gr SST's I shoot in my 7mm are half the price of most, have a .550bc, shoot sub 1/2moa groups out of my rifle, and are devastating on deer from 50 yards to 450 (my farthest kill with). I have had big exit wounds on every deer I've killed with it.

7mmRemMagLoad1.jpg

This is a software chart from my ballistics/ reloading software program on the load I commonly use for my 7mm Mag. The powder is Reloader #25 @ 70 grains. If you wanted to try it I'd suggest starting out at 66.0 grains and working up to the 70 grain point in 3 tenth of a grain increments. Settle for the one that performs the best out of YOUR rifle. Do not go past the 70.0 grain load factor as it is very close to the MAXIMUM pressure allowed for this caliber.

Thanks for the help guys I appreciate your help...Bullet selection that will be good up-close and out to 600 yds for deer/hogs is proving to be a bit more challenging than I originally thought...Really appreciate you guys sharing!:D

For what I'm asking what type of BC should I be the magic number?

Welcome to the site,

You have been given A-1 advice so far. I'll re-iterate most of the previous info as well as add some additional info.

I've been shooting the 7RM since 1978.

I've shot tons of different combinations of bullets/powders. I shot the Hornady 154gr flatbase bullets for a LONG time. I killed Mule deer past 700yds with it. It never failed to perform, it is also a very in-expensive bullet. At around $30/100 it is a steal for practice and is very workable as a hunting bullet.

I used to use H4831 for the 7RM, but have recently had exceptionally good results using RL-22 and it is now my go to powder for the 7RM.

For hunting, I also use the 160gr Nosler Accubond for most things. The 162gr A-Max shoots to nearly the same point of impact with the exact same powder in my rifle. I load them both to just over 3000fps (3015fps average actually).

I have found my best luck using non-magnum primers (currently use Rem 9 1/2 primers). My rifle will shoot around .25moa out to 200yds and sub 1/2moa out to 800yds when I do my part with both the Accubond and the A-Max.

I use Norma brass and use Redding full length neck bushing dies. I perform partial neck sizing (I leave about 1/10" of the neck unsized). I also size the brass to headspace off the shoulder by only pushing the shoulder back .001" from it's fired position.

Good luck, the 7RM is an outstanding choice for your stated usage.

AJ

Inside 600 yards BC AND velocity are important.

A 140 Nosler BT or Accubond at 3150 (BC 0.485) zeroed at 100 yds 10mph wind
at 600 yds Elevation 10.6 MOA Windage 3.7 MOA
A 162 A-max at 3060 (BC 0.625) zeroed at 100 yds 10 mph wind
at 600 yds Elevation 10.3 MOA Windage 2.9 MOA

The 140 gr is giving up 0.8 MOA windage, which means it will drift 4.8 inches more at 600 yards.

For the 7mm mag the best BC is over 0.6, 162 a-max 0.625 and the 168 berger 0.617. The heavier projectiles tend to have a higher BC but the 7mm mag has trouble sending them out fast enough to get the benefit of the higher BC inside of 600 yards.

You might be able to send the 140 gr out faster, possibly 3200 fps, depending on barrel length. The velocity for the 162 a-max is what I get from my 26" barrel.

Once you start looking at ballistic tables etc it is real easy to get caught up in detail. The best way to do it, I believe, is to let the rifle tell you what it likes and work your drop charts from there.
Pick a couple of bullets you like the sound of, find the best one for your rifle and then go out and shoot as much as you can out to 600 yards, that will make more of a difference than the one with the best BC.

Stu.

welcome to the site, i have a 7mm mag and i use 160 accubonds and 162 a-max. I use these bullets because of the high bc, especially the 162 a-max. Although i am about to switch to the 168 berger because the 162 a-max is unobtainable in new zealand at the moment.
I tend to use the 160 ab inside 300 yards and the 162 a-max past 300 yards. My friend took a large feral pig with the 162 a-max at 386 yards with my rifle. Drt.
On my rifle i have a vx iii 4.5 -14 x 40 lr. I like it, but don't know if it is the best value for money scope.

Hope this helps,

stu.

+1

j e custom

Inside 600 yards BC AND velocity are important.

A 140 Nosler BT or Accubond at 3150 (BC 0.485) zeroed at 100 yds 10mph wind
at 600 yds Elevation 10.6 MOA Windage 3.7 MOA
A 162 A-max at 3060 (BC 0.625) zeroed at 100 yds 10 mph wind
at 600 yds Elevation 10.3 MOA Windage 2.9 MOA

The 140 gr is giving up 0.8 MOA windage, which means it will drift 4.8 inches more at 600 yards.

For the 7mm mag the best BC is over 0.6, 162 a-max 0.625 and the 168 berger 0.617. The heavier projectiles tend to have a higher BC but the 7mm mag has trouble sending them out fast enough to get the benefit of the higher BC inside of 600 yards.

You might be able to send the 140 gr out faster, possibly 3200 fps, depending on barrel length. The velocity for the 162 a-max is what I get from my 26" barrel.

Once you start looking at ballistic tables etc it is real easy to get caught up in detail. The best way to do it, I believe, is to let the rifle tell you what it likes and work your drop charts from there.
Pick a couple of bullets you like the sound of, find the best one for your rifle and then go out and shoot as much as you can out to 600 yards, that will make more of a difference than the one with the best BC.

Stu.

Thanks again Stu...I understand why and why....Right-on! Thanks for explaining it in a way I can understand!!! Very helpful indeed!:D

Welcome to the site,

You have been given A-1 advice so far. I'll re-iterate most of the previous info as well as add some additional info.

I've been shooting the 7RM since 1978.

I've shot tons of different combinations of bullets/powders. I shot the Hornady 154gr flatbase bullets for a LONG time. I killed Mule deer past 700yds with it. It never failed to perform, it is also a very in-expensive bullet. At around $30/100 it is a steal for practice and is very workable as a hunting bullet.

I used to use H4831 for the 7RM, but have recently had exceptionally good results using RL-22 and it is now my go to powder for the 7RM.

For hunting, I also use the 160gr Nosler Accubond for most things. The 162gr A-Max shoots to nearly the same point of impact with the exact same powder in my rifle. I load them both to just over 3000fps (3015fps average actually).

I have found my best luck using non-magnum primers (currently use Rem 9 1/2 primers). My rifle will shoot around .25moa out to 200yds and sub 1/2moa out to 800yds when I do my part with both the Accubond and the A-Max.

I use Norma brass and use Redding full length neck bushing dies. I perform partial neck sizing (I leave about 1/10" of the neck unsized). I also size the brass to headspace off the shoulder by only pushing the shoulder back .001" from it's fired position.

Good luck, the 7RM is an outstanding choice for your stated usage.

AJ

AJ...Solid info and I appreciate it!!!

Very helpful indeed!

I definitely need to pick up a few bullets and see how they fly and then make my determinations from there!:D

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.