Another thread of a beginner asking for opinions.

As you learn to reload you can collect brass from readily available factory .308 or 6.5 CM ammo. Btw your statement about CTRs isn't true anymore, they are now offering 24" 6.5 CM.

Trust me, if had found employment by now, I would have ordered the Gen2 .260 already to have a good rounded-out collection of three 5R's...But that has been an unfortunate turn of events. Maybe soon.

I love the .260 Rem, but to me, growing up aspiring to be a USMC sniper, and idolizing guys like Chuck Mawhinney and Carlos Hathcock, there has always been something iconic to me about the .308 Win. It has always, and will always be one of my all-time favorite cartridges. And back 5-6 years ago when I first started teaching myself reloading it was the easiest cartridge I had to dial-in. It seemed like every random load I came up with shot lights-out. And to this day, it has still been the easiest of my rifles to dial-in with new loads.

So, for someone just getting into reloading and long range shooting, 9/10 times I will recommend the 5R in .308 Win. (with a trigger swap, of course).
I never wanted to be a Marine, 5 Generations of my Family served in the Army including Great GD, GD, and my Dad prior to me so if I was going to serve it had to be Army. I too though idolized those guys and read everything ever written by, for, or about them religiously probably a dozen times before leaving.

For my generation we started with O3 A-3's, then several versions of the M-24 and even a few M-40's. I preferred the .300wm for obvious reasons.

I'm not shooting people anymore though, hopefully, so the .260's really get it done for me. I gave both of them as I'm sure you remember a heck of a workout this season including that really big boar that was at 340 or thereabouts and everything I shot just died hard with single shots from 75yds to way the heck and gone.

Besides, it's just too fun not to shoot!

On the 308 vs 260 debate.

The general consensus is that the 260 is the superior caliber past 800 or so yards. The 260 is able to travel farther before reaching trans-sonic speeds, causing the bullet to behave erratically. Being honest with myself, I know that I am a long ways away from being an 800+ yard marksmen. With that said, the 308 appears to be the consensus beginner cartridge. 1) The inadequacies of the 308 are often stated as a benefit for the beginner. For instance, the 308 is more affected by wind, therefor helping me in my learning process of how to read and calculate windage. 2) Like stated earlier the 308 is a more reload friendly caliber. 3) The 308, being a NATO round, is here to stay and is one of the most accessible and used calibers worldwide. 4) Barrel life of a 308 is roughly 2x that of a 260 barrel.

That is my understanding of the 308 vs 260. Currently I am leaning 260 just because of its ballistic superiority but I don't want to go 260 rem and have it hinder my growth as a marksmen.

Hope that makes since... Thanks for all the input so far!
I don't shoot VLD's so that's not much of a problem. They get pretty unstable in the transonic rage but bullets of more traditional shapes loose a little more velocity and do it pretty fast once you get beyond about 650-750 but they don't destabilize as much when entering that range.

The 6.5mm supporters will always sit there and tell you that the .308 is "slow" and "old and outdated". But in all honesty, beyond 800, they would most likely be a wash. And the .308 Might actually have the advantage if you put into consideration the heavy high-BC long range bullets such as the Berger 215 Hybrid. The ballistics for the .308 can be quite impressive despite the much slower muzzle velocity.

The lighter 140 grain bullets of the .260 will slow down faster than the heavier bullets (185-215 grains) of the .308 Win. Despite muzzle velocity differences, the heavier higher BC .30 caliber bullet will retain more kinetic energy down range.

There are a lot of idiots in local shops and on the interwebz that don't know what they're talking about. I've met and talked to a lot of them over the years. When it comes to meeting random folks in a gun store, believe none of what you hear, and half of what you see. A lot of it's made-up, exaggerated, hearsay, and 5th-hand knowledge from somebody's brother's sister's cousins' husband's former roommate... Lots and lots of internet forums are the same way.

This forum is full of intelligent and experienced shooters, and it is packed-full of knowledge. If you want to know facts, this is the place to come.

That all being said, I'm curious to know what these "inadequacies" of the .308 Win might be? And there is no ballistic superiority of the .260 Rem...They are equally formidable cartridges, just different.
It's all about intended use for me. While I certainly can use them for it, I wanted something mild to shoot that is flat to 600yds with enough punch to go further if I needed to. I'd certainly be comfortable shooting the Gen 2 beyond that range but that's not what I was considering when I got the bug.

I never wanted to be a Marine, 5 Generations of my Family served in the Army including Great GD, GD, and my Dad prior to me so if I was going to serve it had to be Army. I too though idolized those guys and read everything ever written by, for, or about them religiously probably a dozen times before leaving.

For my generation we started with O3 A-3's, then several versions of the M-24 and even a few M-40's. I preferred the .300wm for obvious reasons.

I'm not shooting people anymore though, hopefully, so the .260's really get it done for me. I gave both of them as I'm sure you remember a heck of a workout this season including that really big boar that was at 340 or thereabouts and everything I shot just died hard with single shots from 75yds to way the heck and gone.

Besides, it's just too fun not to shoot!

Be prepared for TEOTWAWKI...That's when you gotta watch for the zombies. :D

My brother (recently got his DD-214) just got done with his 6 years (and 2 tours) 11Bravo in the Army. So were both my grandfathers, cousin went AF, and other random family members were different branches.

Yep, I remember reading about your .260's. I still want one. If you ever get tired of that 5R .260 let me know. :D

Be prepared for TEOTWAWKI...That's when you gotta watch for the zombies. :D

My brother (recently got his DD-214) just got done with his 6 years (and 2 tours) 11Bravo in the Army. So were both my grandfathers, cousin went AF, and other random family members were different branches.

Yep, I remember reading about your .260's. I still want one. If you ever get tired of that 5R .260 let me know. :D
Ask him who he was with and tell him welcome home.

I wanted to keep this thread going hoping it may help someone else in the future. I appreciate all the input I got from this forum. I had all but clicked buy it now on a Remington 700 5r 260 when I decided to look back at a Tikka. Right or wrong, long story short I pulled the trigger today on a Tikka T3x Tac A1 in 6.5 CM.

This gun hasn't been released just yet but I reserved one at Buds for just under $1500, it fit roughly the same price range as a 700 5r after a trigger job. I spoke with someone at Tikka that said they will be shipping out from Finland this month (hopefully). Expect actual pics once it arrives...

Now it is time to focus on a scope (under $1000). All opinions welcome.

A7E7B7D484D0BEEC0D45F33B7AD9832C63202FBB.jpg

I wanted to keep this thread going hoping it may help someone else in the future. I appreciate all the input I got from this forum. I had all but clicked buy it now on a Remington 700 5r 260 when I decided to look back at a Tikka. Right or wrong, long story short I pulled the trigger today on a Tikka T3x Tac A1 in 6.5 CM.

This gun hasn't been released just yet but I reserved one at Buds for just under $1500, it fit roughly the same price range as a 700 5r after a trigger job. I spoke with someone at Tikka that said they will be shipping out from Finland this month (hopefully). Expect actual pics once it arrives...

Well...
1) It's not made in the USA
2) It's a mass produced cold hammer forged barrel
3) Tikka is owned by Beretta. Their support is supposedly some of the worst on the planet.
4) Oh... Get a Burris scope. Beretta owns them too.

Go USA!

Well...
1) It's not made in the USA
2) It's a mass produced cold hammer forged barrel
3) Tikka is owned by Beretta. Their support is supposedly some of the worst on the planet.
4) Oh... Get a Burris scope. Beretta owns them too.

Go USA!

10-4.. Thanks for the help.

Give us the details when you get your hands on that Tikka, I wonder how nice that chassis is. You'll love the action.

Whats the primary use?

Buy once, cry once. Just buy the scope you want and fits your application. If your anything like me, you'll buy something that fits the bill for a while that you'll end up replacing in the long run anyways.

As far as the OP...have you thought about finding a USED gun? The want adds on this site is the first place i would look, and you can find some great deals on used guns.

Just my .02,

Tod

IMHO, all it matters is you're happy with your rifle choice and you can live with your decision.

Scope wise, if FFP is not a show stopper, check out the 4-20 Burris Veracity line and Burris XTR sig rings (with 40 MOA cant).

Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.