Novice: 308W to 600 yds...

okay gents you're starting to lose me with this stuff...could someone kindly/patiently get me on track??? :D

Here's what my SIMPLE mind desires....

I'd like a 165gr HUNTING BULLET for my 308 Win rifle [23.6 inch barrel/1 in 12" twist]

I will be driving it at "typical" 308W speeds and desire a bullet that will expand PROPERLY @ 100 yds and 600 yds.

Conventional cup & core bullets would suit me dandy for my intended purposes i.e., Win PP/PSP, Remington CoreLokt.... I believe they would give me the type of terminal performance and expansion I desire inside of my self-determined max of 600 yds.

And the ONLY reason I am seeking another brand bullet is QC... i.e., the extreme variation +/- in bullet weight! And they are just cheap bullets...yep, cheap bullets that work GREAT!!! It's an awesome bullet I have had excellent results and get them easily to avg 3/4"groups in ALL my rifles!

But now for this particular 308W rifle I want to run a bullet that has been manufactured to TIGHTER TOLERANCES and have the "SAME" type of expansion characteristics as the Win PP and Rem CL...

I consider the Win PP/PSP and Rem CL as soft...and for me that's a good thing in the cartridges I shoot...

BUT, from what I read over the years and from the experiences of a couple hunting friends...the Hornady IL and IB is a fine bullet!!!

It seems like it's a bullet manufactured to much HIGHER TOLERANCES to the aforementioned bullets...and that's what I'm after gun)

I hear it is a bit HARDER than the other two bullets in comparison, so that only makes me want to make sure I drive it at near max velocities without hot-rodding it and stay < 600 yds....

I'm hoping this bullet will PENETRATE DEEP at 600 yds. and allow me to take out the shoulders as desired...:D

Today, my question is...

I'm gonna try the Hornadys...but, is the SST harder than the InterLock?

note: not interested in the IB...really great bullet though, but I'm too cheap:D

The SST is basically an Interlock with a polymer tip. It is going to penetrate well and the polymer tip is going to help expansion at longer ranges i.e. 600 yards. The SST is also going to give you a better BC with that polymer tip which is going to help save you more velocity and keep the wind drift down for you. If you had to choose between the SST and the Interlock, I would go with the SST without a doubt.

Simple recipe w/ bullets that will work. 43.0 RL15, 210 federal primer, any brass you choose, 165 sst, SGK 150-180, hornady interbond or interlock, gmx, soft point of polymer tip 150-180, Berger 155-185, Speer deep curl, grand slam, BTSP 150-180. Any of these bullets with the recipe above (you may have to play with primer choice) and seating depth will result in death at 600-800 yds. Doesn't get easier than that. If you don't have or want to use RL15 then go with 42.0 TAC, 42.0 IMR 4064, 43.5 Varget, 41.0 IMR or H4895. Looking at your specimen of powder my guess is IMR 4895. It was used a long time by military and ammo manufacturers since the 40's. Start at an OAL of 2.800". I don't recommend Core-lokts. They don't have much consistency in weight and length. They are good from 0-200 yds, but better bullets should be used for long range. The caveat, is that some rifles will do well with them.

Tank

The SST is basically an Interlock with a polymer tip. It is going to penetrate well and the polymer tip is going to help expansion at longer ranges i.e. 600 yards. The SST is also going to give you a better BC with that polymer tip which is going to help save you more velocity and keep the wind drift down for you. If you had to choose between the SST and the Interlock, I would go with the SST without a doubt.

Super...just what I wanted to hear...many thanks!

Simple recipe w/ bullets that will work. 43.0 RL15, 210 federal primer, any brass you choose, 165 sst, SGK 150-180, hornady interbond or interlock, gmx, soft point of polymer tip 150-180, Berger 155-185, Speer deep curl, grand slam, BTSP 150-180. Any of these bullets with the recipe above (you may have to play with primer choice) and seating depth will result in death at 600-800 yds. Doesn't get easier than that. If you don't have or want to use RL15 then go with 42.0 TAC, 42.0 IMR 4064, 43.5 Varget, 41.0 IMR or H4895. Looking at your specimen of powder my guess is IMR 4895. It was used a long time by military and ammo manufacturers since the 40's. Start at an OAL of 2.800". I don't recommend Core-lokts. They don't have much consistency in weight and length. They are good from 0-200 yds, but better bullets should be used for long range. The caveat, is that some rifles will do well with them.

Tank

Tank,

I appreciate the advice and loading info!!! :)

You've gotten some really good advice above.

From my own personal experience I'd say the SST is going to be your bullet of choice due to the velocities of the .308 particularly if the toughest critters you are shooting are deer.

If you were going to use it for elk or hogs I'd say go with the interbond as it's got a heavier Jacket and will penetrage a little better before reaching max expansion.

Both the SST and Interbond are great bullets with good ballistics and should work well for you.

If for some reason they don't perform up to par I'd then move to the scirocco.

Now I'll add one caveat.... . I'd go to the scirocco alone if it performs well if the cost is not a deciding factor because it's an equal or superior hunting bullet with a much higher ballistic coefficient particularly if I were going on a "hunt of a lifetime.

You've gotten some really good advice above.

From my own personal experience I'd say the SST is going to be your bullet of choice due to the velocities of the .308 particularly if the toughest critters you are shooting are deer.

If you were going to use it for elk or hogs I'd say go with the interbond as it's got a heavier Jacket and will penetrage a little better before reaching max expansion.

Both the SST and Interbond are great bullets with good ballistics and should work well for you.

If for some reason they don't perform up to par I'd then move to the scirocco.

Now I'll add one caveat.... . I'd go to the scirocco alone if it performs well if the cost is not a deciding factor because it's an equal or superior hunting bullet with a much higher ballistic coefficient particularly if I were going on a "hunt of a lifetime.

Yes, my friend....just deer for this 308W rifle!

Hope to do an elk hunt in another two or three years in New Mexico with my son...For elk I would be using my 30-06 180gr NP load that I used in Africa in 2008 both me and my son's rifles. We had 13 one-shot kills on a PG hunt...hope to do that someday...but finances are real tough as of late!

Honestly, for the 308 I would limit the range of shots to about 500 yards or closer sir. Save the 600 yard shots for the 06.

JBM - Calculations

I would honestly advise you play with what I linked above. I am kind of conservative in my hunting practices. I prefer my minimum impact velocities to be close to 2000 FPS, and energy to be 1000 ft.lbs. or better. The reason is, very much below 2000 fps I have noticed over the years you tend to get very erratic expansion, unless of course you are using something like the DGX from Hornady that will tend to expand at some pretty low velocities. I do realise that some folks will disagree with my 2000/1000 rule, but it has worked extremely well for me these last few years. Honestly, a very good friend who is a hunting *NUT* clued me in on this "rule of thumb", it has worked for him in Alaska, and Africa, and many points in between. I know for a solid fact there are some full on NutCase Hunters here in these forums :) who can chime in if I am in anyway off base.

One of the nicer solutions to a relatively lowish recoil 600 yard rifles is the 7mm Saum using the 162gr Hornady Amax. You may shiver at using an Amax for hunting, but the 7mm - 162gr Amax, and the .308 - 208 gr Amax are **** good game takers. With a very realistic velocity of 2900 fps on a 162 grain Amax out of a 7mm SAUM you are staring at 2000 + FPS on target @ 600 yards, and about 1500 Ft.Lbs of energy, which is to say BAM!! ****... i got myself into thinking 7mm SAUM build /grumble.... Grrr! :D

Have Fun,
Gary

Tough to trump the 155 Scenar with it's .508 BC, better than most others and you can launch at 150 fps faster than 168's., give or take.

Festus

I have used the 165 SST's on whitetails and mule deer with great success at short and long ranges. Unlike the Ballistic Tips, I have recovered the bullets with at least 50% weight and excellent penetration at short and long range. It will break the shoulder and penetrate well at the longer ranges. I have also used the factory Reminton 165 Accutips which is an SST made specifically for Reminton. Very accurate round in my rifles. It runs 2700 FPS. I can get 2800 using 45.3 gr. of Varget. I do like the Ballistic Tips as well for lung shots on deer.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.