Nosler 190gr ABLR in the 30-06

Thanks for the reply man,
I also like the economy of the Amax. I can always get the Amax right off the shelf at my local GS for about 32$ per 100, and I can't even get to hold just one berger.

Those are some smoking speeds what kinds of gains do you think you are getting from the moly alone? Wow I'm seriously impressed I need to chrono mine

Those are some smoking speeds what kinds of gains do you think you are getting from the moly alone? Wow I'm seriously impressed I need to chrono mine

Here is an article on the benefits of moly coating. What was said above is accurate - velocity will drop if no other changes are made b/c there is less pressure. So you can now add more powder to get back up to the same pressure.

It really comes down to pressure drop vs velocity drop due to coating.

Note that this is the first article I found on google - I know nothing about this person's motivations other than that he owns a moly coating biz, so it would be expected to be slanted that way. It fits with other things I have read at a high level, but there may be competing theories in the finer details. I am not trying to start that discussion as I don't know much about moly coating theory vs actual results, just trying to show the theory behind coating bullets.

Moly Coating Benefits

Last edited:
very interesting, i was wondering how you were pulling off such large amounts of 17 in that case as im am shooting 54 grains with the same bullets

My go-to bullet for several years now has been the 208 Amax.

I believe the 215 gr Berger would be optimum, but I prefer the economy of the 208 Amax.

In local atmo, the 208 shoots very well out to 1500 or so yards, started at 2740 fps. I have taken it to a mile+ on occasion, but it's kind of losing it at those distances.

I believe that a moly'd 215 Berger could make 2800 fps in a 26" barrel. That would be serious LR capability in a 30-06 chamber.

Shane

Shane,

Very impressive numbers, esp. for a 100+ years old chambering design. Thanks for sharing.

Ed

very interesting, i was wondering how you were pulling off such large amounts of 17 in that case as im am shooting 54 grains with the same bullets

The moly is part of the equation. The other part is that the barrel on this rifle has around 5000 rounds through it, and the rifling is getting a little soft looking at the leade.

Today I tested the 190 ABLR for accuracy at 100 yards, and drop at 1120 yards.

Conditions were 4300' el, 30F, 5-10 mph full value wind.

I started off with a 5-shot 100 yard group, of .85", mostly lateral spread, some of it wind. Shot another 5-shot 100 yard group at the end of the session, it was about 1.0 moa, again spreading lateral. Both 100 yard groups showed less than .5 moa vertical spread.

For the 1120 yard shots I ran a drop chart using the hornady website calculator. Input local atmo conditions, and used Litz's BC of .569 G1.

Here are a couple pics of the target. A piece of moss on a distant rock, approx 15-16" wide, maybe 10-12 inches tall.

Wind was apparently stronger along the bullets transit, and blowing opposite direction with evidence of updraft from the splash. I recorded several shots on video, so you can have a look. The video confirms a few hits on target that I could not see clearly through my scope, with my transition lens eyeglasses getting very dark.

Here's a link to the video on photobucket. Something hinky with the video player, I could only hear the audio until I click the 'fullscreen' icon to see the video.

Nos190able email_zpszxmlhzgy.mp4 Video by montanamarine | Photobucket

The bullet was exiting the muzzle at 2920 fps. The drop chart indicated 9.0 mils drop at 1120 yards, and that was pretty close. A couple high hits, but there was some updraft working on the bullet too. Retained velocity/energy at 1120 yards would be about 1520 fps/980 ft-lbs.

Shane

MontanaMarine, you have done a lot of fascinating work over the last few years. I really enjoy reading your posts and never fail to feel like I have learned something in the process. Thank you for taking the time to document your testing and share your results!

Montana Marine,

Is Nosler's advertised BC of .640 a little on the optimistic side and the BC of .569 which you used in your drop chart more real life conditions?

I finally got my hands on some of these and need to work up something for my 300 WSM. I'm pretty much a beginner at the long range game so thanks for all your info and work.

John

John,

I think it's safe to say that .640 is wishful thinking.

I used .569 based off of Bryan Litz's testing and results he posted on this forum. That number seemed accurate in my shooting.

I mostly shoot the 208 Amax, with a BC of .648 G1. Having a fair amount of experience with the 208 in the wind, I could tell this 190 ABLR was getting moved around more, consistent with the lower BC. Even though the 190 was getting started 180 fps faster than the 208 (2920 vs 2740).

I believe Jeff (Broz) did some work with the 210 gr ABLR, and found it's actual BC was about .100 lower than advertised, making it pretty close to the 208 Amax, and 210 Berger in actual BC. It appears the advertised BCs of the Nos ABLR's have some 'fluff' added for sales appeal to the LR crowd.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.