Nosler ABLR Testing

So..back to the pit again...very little wind..but still a touch of mirage....
Went up a touch in powder to test....
Original 53.5gr RL26
Today 53.8gr & 54gr...
100 site in... 0513201204.jpg..3 shots each

400....2 shots each...0513201204a.jpg...

Did not chronograph fps....
This again is very close to what i had been shooting..
Original
Lapua brass...fgm 210 primers...53.5gr RL26....142lrab....

New today...
53.8gr RL26 and 54gr RL26....with Fed GM 215 Mag primers
So the mag primers i would say have taken a decent round and improved it very well.....
And the Nosler 142 LRAB are doing well also....
Drop from zero at 100yds to 400yds was guessed to be at 5moa....and i have to say the guess on the 53.8gr..was a damned good guess.......😜

Thanks for the info. I did find this article and found it very interesting and thought provoking.
It would be nice to see a gel test with some sort of material in front of it that would as close as possible represent animal skin.
I am sure that animal hide make a substantial difference with initial bullet expansion .

From time at the taxidermy table....
Deer skin is tougher than bear skin....elk tougher than both.....
That's from a sharp scalpel perspective.....i could put holes in the nicest capes😆.....
Most all Africa ungulates skins are tougher than our critters...
Guess you would need thicker harder skin to keep some of the biting flies and ticks at bay......

Yea, that initial contact with hide would ,I would think cause bullets to open more than just a gel test.
Milk jugs full of water may actually be a better test to see how a bullet opens.
I bet the Barnes would open more at longer distance than shown and some of the others would be much more explosive and not hold to get her as well as they did in just gel...?

I think a closer comparison might be a big plastic trash can filled with soggy paper or towels hanging from the top into the water....then add a huge thick soft foam pad on the back outside fo absorb the bullet and maybe stop it.....

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.