nikon scopes and scopes general

tool91

I'm new to hunting and want to see what y'all think about nikon scopes since my friend tells me they're excellent. Any advice or useful information on scopes I should know?

It depends on what you want kind of shooting or hunting you want to do. So many options (power, reticle , size of tube, etc). What caliber of rifle? I personaly like Leupold or Night Forse. Don't know much about Nikon.

I agree with Wy., so many variables go into picking the right scope for your rifle. I know we have something that will work for you just need a little more information.
Bart
Nikon Pro Staff

For deer my choice would be the 30-30. Because it is limited balistically to about 300yds, I would opt for a 3-9 or 3.5-10 power. Nikon makes the Nikon Buckmaster in a 4.5-14 which is a very nice scope. I've owned one for about 3 years. It has been a rugged dependable scope. I also owned a Buckmaster 6-18x w/ target dot, but that was for my long range rifle. You may want to look at Vortex scopes too. I own one and have been dually impressed. You get my vote for Nikon or Vortex.

Tank

How about a .308? Not a lot of recoil, reasonably priced ammo, will be great for Texas sized deer or any other 4 legged critters we have wondering around in Tx. except maybe Nilgi on the King Ranch.
A 3-9 would give you plenty of magnification and Nikon's BDC scopes will give you the capability after some range time to reach out there as far as you are comfortable shooting.

I found the Buckmaster and a Vortex viper pst. I guess the Buckmaster really is the best choice, or would the viper be practical as well?

If you can afford the PST, then that is the way to go. But it might be a little much for the 30-30. The suggestion of the .308 is sound advice. Other options would be 243, 260, 7mm-08. These all would be low recoiling and offer great diversity in your ability to grow and learn with a weapons system.

My thinking for a Vortex was something in this line:

Vortex 3.5-10x50 Viper Rifle Scope

Vortex 4-12x40 Viper Rifle Scope

Vortex 6.5-20x44 Viper 30mm Rifle Scope This is the model I have, but in the target dot.

These are all great beginner scopes, but if you can get the PST, go for it and build your rifle around it. You'll only buy one scope with the PST. The Buckmaster is another great beginner scope and fits nicely between the 4-12 and the 6.5-20.

Tank

For the money the Nikon Monarch is the best scope in that price range. I use them on many rifles. In your case the 2-10 monarch with 42 feet field of view would be excellent. I have 4-5 of these in the optics section for sale at $299.99 shipped in the US. These are mil dot reticles new in the box. Just got to much stuff and some have to go.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.