First build - Scope question and general insight

ArmaHeavy

Hi guys,

I've lurked for a while, but this is my first post (just registered a minute ago)

I'm starting my first build. I'll tell you what I'm using, but what I really am seeking is insight on a scope in relation to the rifle's weight. Also, any other general info about components I've chosen is welcome too!

.338 RUM
Tooley Orion Action (Stiller Predator Xtreme) (waiting to hear back from Dave)
SS 26" contour 5, Benchmark barrel, fluted
McMillan A-3 sporter stock
Jewell trigger
KDF muzzle break

It's for general purpose hunting - Elk, deer, Alaskan game, and LR varmints.

As far as the weight of the gun, I'm not actively trying to find ways to shave ounces, but I'm using lighter components, like the A-3 Sporter as opposed to the A3, and a fluted bolt/barrel. I'd like the gun to be just what it's intended for, a manageable-weight, accurate hunting rifle. Not a benchrest gun, and not a sheep gun. I'm in my mid 20's and in very good shape, so an extra pound or two doesn't bother me if I'm hiking under 10 miles a day.

My question is this: By estimating the weight of the gun by looking at the components, will a 31 oz. scope (Nightforce NXS 5.5-22 x 50) make it feel top-heavy, or raise the center of gravity too much to easily handle on shooting sticks? Do I have enough weight in the barrel and stock to keep it feeling balanced?

Scope will be mounted as low as possible. No 20 MOA rail. I just don't need the extra hieght with 110 MOA internal adjustment on the scope and considering the ballistics of that round. I never intend to shoot past 1200, even at the range.

Sorry I don't have a weight for the gun! Thanks!!!

Any insight or general comments welcome!

I think the biggest factor is your hunting style. 90% of my shooting is from a bipod, 5% from sticks, and 5% off hand. I rarely take the bipod off of my rifle.

If your hunting style is similar to mine, the Nightforce will work well with your components. It sounds like the rifle should balance fairly well. The scope sits over the balance point, and won't upset it. Choose the 50 mm objective to keep the scope as low as possible.

If you do more offhand shooting, or shooting from sticks while standing, a lighter, more compact scope will be appreciated.

Thanks for the info. I'd say I'm 80% bipod and 20% sticks while sitting. Sounds like it'll be a good setup.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.