scopes

ann brezinski

I do not have the 1500 to 2000 $ for a nightforce scope what are your thoughts on other scope for long range hunting I can put together about 750 .00 $...
will mount on a 300 Winchester magnum .
gary b

Good old Leupold VX3, 4.5-14 would be pretty decent. You could get the CDS, and just keep the MOA dials on it.

That's what I did, but the 3.5-10. I'm not going for super long range stuff though.

I'll second the Vortex Viper HS-T.
They offer MIL/MIL turrets and reticle (or MOA/MOA if you prefer) in a selection of reticles. That, I believe, at the price point, is only only available from Vortex.

I put one on my .300 thinking it would only be a temporary thing but I can't really fault it.
My other rifles wear Nightforce, Leupold mk4, Kahles K624i, Swarovsky and Zeiss optics and the cheaper Vortex stands up to comparison well.

One of the best scopes for the money... They're built like a tank, and the turrets are solid and repeatable.

SWFA SS 3-15x42 Tactical Rifle Scope | SWFA

Throw it in some Seekins Precision low 30mm rings, on an EGW HD 20MOA rail, and you got a really strong setup for your .300WM.

Or, another good suggestion would also be the Vortex Viper HS-T 6-24x50 (like the other guys suggested) in the same rings and bases I mentioned above.

I have both a Vortex Viper HS 6-24x50 BDC, and an SWFA SS 20x42 MilQuad scope, both in Seekins rings on EGW HD bases. You can't go wrong either way.

Lots of options. I don't care for the weight of NF on a hunting rig.

Do you want 1" or 30mm?
Reticle?
FFP or SFP?
MOA or Mil?
Is high magnification a requirement?
Is 750 for scope only or scope rings and base?

for a REAL hunting rig that you are going to carry up the mountain ,,,,, I like the 3-18X50 Swarovski Z6 with B/Turret calibrated to 1,000 yards ,,,,,, (((see Scopes ,,,,,

for a REAL hunting rig that you are going to carry up the mountain ,,,,, I like the 3-18X50 Swarovski Z6 with B/Turret calibrated to 1,000 yards ,,,,,, (((see Scopes ,,,,,

OP's budget is ...

I do not have the 1500 to 2000 $ for a nightforce scope what are your thoughts on other scope for long range hunting I can put together about 750 .00 $...
gary b

Thought the sightron siii was a good suggestion. I would probably go with a lower magnification than 8 on the bottom end for a hunting rifle. I don't have any experience with the sightron siii, but do own several of the lower priced models (si, sii and big sky) and they have performed well. Seem to have good glass and hold zero well. Have never tried to dial these scopes to shot longer ranges and doubt that it would work real well, but the siii should be a different story. Good luck and have fun

Thought the sightron siii was a good suggestion. I would probably go with a lower magnification than 8 on the bottom end for a hunting rifle. I don't have any experience with the sightron siii, but do own several of the lower priced models (si, sii and big sky) and they have performed well. Seem to have good glass and hold zero well. Have never tried to dial these scopes to shot longer ranges and doubt that it would work real well, but the siii should be a different story. Good luck and have fun

Totally agree on the low power comment. I have SI, SIIBS, and SIII, you can dial the SIIBS without issue, but the SIII is better for dialling. I prefer the lrmoa reticle bc you can use it as a bdc also, you just need to figure what your drops are and preferably write them down for reference. Its hard to beat the value of sightron.

gary b

Depends a little as to what type of hunting and distances you are shooting. I have a few NF scopes, all with zero stop. They are the nuts for shooting when there is time to twist the knobs at any given range. Works even better when you have a rangefinder that calculates the MOA or click adjustments for you. If you are hunting game where the action is often fast and furious, I have a couple Leupold VXR's with the Firedot LRV reticle. I absolutely love that reticle. I once owned a Firedot duplex that I despised, because the dot was so large it covered the entire bullseye or critter you were aiming at. If I were hunting big game at close range, it probably would have been fine. The Firedot LRV has small dots that don't blot out the entire target. The lights are adjustable for brightness which makes them perfect from anything to almost no light, all the way to bright sunshine. On one rifle I have it works out that the top dot is on at 100, middle dot 200, and bottom dot 300. For another rifle the top dot is minute of whitetail to 200, middle dot 300 and bottom dot will work at 400&500 by compensating a few inches on my POA. When the situation requires throwing the gun up to the shoulder quickly, that Firedot is the cat's meow. Natchez has a pretty good price on them currently. I think a 4-12X50 is a little over 600 bucks. Lifetime no questions asked limited warranty and a very handy scope in the field. I just finished deer season using one and that scope is here to stay. This being said by someone that has bought and resold a lot of scopes!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.