Nikon is getting out of rifle scope business

dgr416

I have used Nikon scopes the past 33 years with awesome results but just heard they are getting out of the rifle scope business and will no longer service them .This is a big blow to the scope market They were second in scope sales

Never used any of their higher end (above $1000) scopes but for what they provided at the time I needed it, they were good. I've owned/used several throughout the years but they're far from my favorite or "go to" scope.

I have a 4-12 bdc. For 130 dollars it's pretty good. Good clear glass. I used to shoot a steel plate at 600 very consistently. Inch or less at 100 it's a great scope to figure out if you want to get into longer range shooting and more expensive optics

I had a 4-16 bdc monarch I put on my sons 6.5 that got the crap kicked out of it hiking all over the mountains in slick nasty weather. Sucker held zero through the deer and elk hunt. One time it and my son took a fall so hard I thought there was no way it made it through unscathed. Sure enough - that baby never moved a hair.

There are a lot of Nikon scopes in circulation. I don't mind them getting out of the scope business but saying they will no longer honor their lifetime warranties or service the existing scopes is plain wrong. Unless they actually declare bankruptcy I hope the existing owners hold them to account. I can easily see a class action suit based on them not honouring their warranty obligations.

I have used them scene 1986 and only had one fail and it was replaced .The ones made in Japan had better glass .They Are awesome scopes for the money I hate to see them go .I think lack of sales was the reason not as many people buying guns and hunting stuff

Always liked the locking parallax on the Monarchs.
Have an old school Buckmaster 6-18x40 with 1/8" target turrets and mildot reticle. Like it a lot.

I have that same Buckmaster in the safe. Was thinking of putting it on a new 22-250.

I used Nikon monarchs in Alaska for 12 years through total hell no problems have used them on my 416 rem mag that's 7.5 pounds my 338-378 weatherby and 338 win mag .The only one that broke was on a semiautomatic 300 win mag and they gave me a new one .

Its a shame that they succumbed to the whims of the non-shooting public. Because they made both rifle scopes and cameras/lens there have been comments to "Shoot photos - not bullets"! There scopes, although not terrific, were better than most in their price range and good for the average hunter and shooter. So those of us with any Nikons are basically SOL regarding their lifetime warranty!

Bad news for me. I have several of them. Over the years only one ever sent back for damage by rough handling between airlines and bush plains. Not my best scopes, but great glass for the money. Very bright and clear.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.