Nightforce SHV and alternatives

If your only planning on shooting 3-400 yards . I wouldn't spend 700 plus dollars on a scope . Cameralandny.com had a good deal on Meopta 3-10x44 . Id check them out and save yourself some money

x1000

There are plenty of scopes adequate for your needs at lesser prices. Unless of course that money is burning a hole in your pocket.

I think some people are more worried about telling you what they have rather than giving sound advice.

x1000

There are plenty of scopes adequate for your needs at lesser prices. Unless of course that money is burning a hole in your pocket.

I think some people are more worried about telling you what they have rather than giving sound advice.

Iron sights worked for a long time.

To the OP,

You asked for an alternative and we provided you with a sound advice (with room to grow with at no additional cost) based on our personal experiences contrary to what others think; what you do with it is entirely up to you.

I played with and seriously considered the SHVs on my last two scope purchases before deciding on the Burris Veracity 4-20x50 FFP and SWFA 5-20x50 FFP HD and I couldn't be any happier.

If you are really set on SHV by all means go for it. One of the members here wrote a nice article about the scope in question but on a different site. I'll PM you the link later unless he or somebody else chimes in before I get a chance to.

I appreciate all the advice. All of the scopes recommended have very good reviews. I think it will help if I can go to the gun store and get some scopes in my hands.

Again, I appreciate all the advice and all of your suggestions are much appreciated.

Do these Burris' come with a zero stop? Never have seen one. I would try a SHV but I will never own another turret scope without a zero stop. Been there done that.

Yes ,it does have a zero stop.
2 set screws lets you set it. I have mine set exactly at my 200 yard zero, but you could leave one or two moa for lowering your elevation if you choose.
You can leave the turret caps on also if you choose.

If you are set in the $1000 range, I might recommend a Zeiss 5-20x50. The glass is amazing. you get turret knobs if you get the model that they are just discontinuing and you can get them significantly cheaper ($700).

Zeiss will give you really good glass, I think the Night force will give you really good guts for repeatability.

Having said that, I shot a whitetail at 489 yards with a Bushnell 3200 3.5-10x50. I have to take the caps off but then you do with the SHV too.

Ultimately, if you want to shoot long range something with turrets is going to be important. but you may just want to build another rifle and put another scope on it if you are going to go longer range.

Did a repeatability test almost 2 years ago on my .270 AI with Burris Veracity 4-20x50 ...

Ammo used: leftover .270 Win handload (150 NBT, 55.5 H4350, WLR, RP brass) before the re-barrel.

0810141014_zps0d74cf43.jpg

Above is a 12-shot series @ 100 yards in my attempt to test the zero repeatability. Each shot is consist of 2 random elevation adjustments (from zero to X elevation and then back to zero) and + and - windage adjustments (from zero to L then back to zero and from zero to R and then back to zero).

It didn't do too badly. My current set-up has 55 MOA of elevation with a 20 MOA rail.

Burris will also do custom knobs >>> custom knobs | Burrisoptics

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.