Nightforce SHV and alternatives

Nice shooting FEENIX!

Aye Sir! I get lucky once in a while. :D

My last cold bore shot before calling it good for the season; .270 AI 175 Matrix VLD 2993 FPS at 200 yards.

200yardscoldboreshot_zps0457c291.jpg

No monster but yielded a young MT muley at 311 yards ...

1103140915a_zpsfbc5f01d.jpg

1103140938a_zpsaec59d74.jpg

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f84/270-ais-1st-big-game-harvest-143492/#post1009714

If you are set in the $1000 range, I might recommend a Zeiss 5-20x50. The glass is amazing. you get turret knobs if you get the model that they are just discontinuing and you can get them significantly cheaper ($700).

Zeiss will give you really good glass, I think the Night force will give you really good guts for repeatability.

Having said that, I shot a whitetail at 489 yards with a Bushnell 3200 3.5-10x50. I have to take the caps off but then you do with the SHV too.

Ultimately, if you want to shoot long range something with turrets is going to be important. but you may just want to build another rifle and put another scope on it if you are going to go longer range.
I have a Zeiss HD5 5-25. My only complaint is the zero stop is good for one revolution only. To me this limits the usefulness of its zero stop!

It does have push/pull lockable turrets, so it doesn't need caps. The glass is great.

To the OP,

You asked for an alternative and we provided you with a sound advice (with room to grow with at no additional cost) based on our personal experiences contrary to what others think; what you do with it is entirely up to you.

I played with and seriously considered the SHVs on my last two scope purchases before deciding on the Burris Veracity 4-20x50 FFP and SWFA 5-20x50 FFP HD and I couldn't be any happier.

If you are really set on SHV by all means go for it. One of the members here wrote a nice article about the scope in question but on a different site. I'll PM you the link later unless he or somebody else chimes in before I get a chance to.

Feenix,
How is it having both a mil/mil scope and an MOA scope?

To the OP,

You asked for an alternative and we provided you with a sound advice (with room to grow with at no additional cost) based on our personal experiences contrary to what others think; what you do with it is entirely up to you.

I played with and seriously considered the SHVs on my last two scope purchases before deciding on the Burris Veracity 4-20x50 FFP and SWFA 5-20x50 FFP HD and I couldn't be any happier.

If you are really set on SHV by all means go for it. One of the members here wrote a nice article about the scope in question but on a different site. I'll PM you the link later unless he or somebody else chimes in before I get a chance to.

Feenix,

Are you asking how is having a Veracity MOA scope and SWFA mil/mil scope? If so, I make cheat sheets to make it easier for me.

You didn't, but I didn't see on Burris' website where they offer a mil/mil scope and swfa where they offer a Moa scope. Maybe I missed something

Feenix,

As long as you keep your drop chart familiar ,its hard to get confused. My mil/mil scopes are all .10 mil clicks. But I honestly like moa/moa a lot better just because I am more accustomed to them.

You didn't, but I didn't see on Burris' website where they offer a mil/mil scope and swfa where they offer a Moa scope. Maybe I missed something

Look at the difference between the Veracity (http://www.burrisoptics.com/scopes/veracity-riflescopes-series/veracity-riflescope-4-20x50mm) line and the XTRII (http://www.burrisoptics.com/scopes/veracity-riflescopes-series/veracity-riflescope-4-20x50mm) line.

As long as you keep your drop chart familiar ,its hard to get confused. My mil/mil scopes are all .10 mil clicks. But I honestly like moa/moa a lot better just because I am more accustomed to them.

Ditto!

The original post asked about the SHV in 3-10x42. I picked one of these up last week and took a look through it at the range on my test fixture. The scaling of the MOAR reticle looked good and the turret accuracy looked good. The yardage marking on the parallax knob was off but I think that's to be expected. The clarity looked good at the 10x magnification as well as the 3x. There was no tunneling at the low power. I'll post a picture of what the reticle looks like. The view is with 10x magnification setting.

Overall I'm pleased with this for my hunting rifle. Now to get it mounted up and try it out.

Attachments

• SHV_3-10x_MOAR.jpg
    SHV_3-10x_MOAR.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 71
I really, really like the SHV 3-10! The MOAR reticle is one of the best reticle available, glass was much better than expected and certainly out performs it's price level. I like the capped turrets especially for an optic for hunting hard, I can't count the time I've been getting a turret back to zero while I should be pulling the trigger, especially rifles going into back pack scabbards. It's a nice clean, simple optic that hunts outstanding!

I have a Zeiss HD5 5-25. My only complaint is the zero stop is good for one revolution only. To me this limits the usefulness of its zero stop!

It does have push/pull lockable turrets, so it doesn't need caps. The glass is great.

So mine is the older version Conquest, so not as nice as the one you have. I haven't gotten good enough to be spinning my turret all the way round on a regular basis yet so I haven't bought anything with a zero stop but I can see where it would be helpful.

On another note, I have to agree with Fenix and his Burris. I have a few Burris Fullfield's and for the money, I don't think you get a better scope.

I really, really like the SHV 3-10! The MOAR reticle is one of the best reticle available, glass was much better than expected and certainly out performs it's price level. I like the capped turrets especially for an optic for hunting hard, I can't count the time I've been getting a turret back to zero while I should be pulling the trigger, especially rifles going into back pack scabbards. It's a nice clean, simple optic that hunts outstanding!

This is just what I wanted to hear! Great bang for your buck and a great hunting optic. Thanks for the post, its nice to hear some personal experiences/impressions with the optic.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.