Nightforce SHV and alternatives

Dtex

Hey all,

New member here.

I am in the process of purchasing a Weatherby Vanguard Accuguard in .270 Win and I am trying to get some feedback for scope selection. I have only really had experience with Leupold optics and I think I am going to try to see what else is out there for this particular setup.

Hunting Range: 100-300 yds, occasional 400 yd shot
Hunting Game: primarily predators, pigs/hogs, sheep/ram, and deer
Hunting Area: mainly West and South Texas; open terrain for the most part

Right now I feel like I am pretty set on the Nightforce SHV 3-10x42mm, but I can't find many user reviews on the scope. I was wondering if anybody had any first had experience with this scope, specifically the magnification and reticle selection. For my hunting range, I think the 3-10x will be more than sufficient and i also think i can go with the more simplistic IHR reticle (as opposed to the MOAR, since I do not see the need for the precision of the MOAR for my hunting range).

Sorry for the long post, any feedback will be much appreciated. I could always throw a VX-3 on there for $300 less, so I'm really trying to get a feel for the SHV or anything anyone else might recommend. THANKS!

Last edited:
Look at a Burris Veracity .
I have a 4-20 its 1st focal plane, EXCELLENT glass, and has an terrific zerro stop.
I spotted my shots easily at 1000 yards last night.

I just made a thread about it yesterday
'not bad for a stock Savage'.

Great scope for $720.

Attachments

• 20160406_133821.jpg
    20160406_133821.jpg
    275.5 KB · Views: 126
Thanks for the recommendation Brice. Thats right in my price range, so ill definitely do some more research on that Burris Veracity.

Sportoptics is where I bought mine for $720, I just looked at them just now and its listed for $689.

Anywhere else is listed for $800.

Look at a Burris Veracity .
I have a 4-20 its 1st focal plane, EXCELLENT glass, and has an terrific zerro stop.
I spotted my shots easily at 1000 yards last night.

I just made a thread about it yesterday
'not bad for a stock Savage'.

Another vote for the Burris Veracity 4-20x50 FFP. I paid $629.10 shipped at Optics Planet 2 years ago.

Attachments

• 0923142126.jpg
    0923142126.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 104
  • 1116141048a.jpg
    1116141048a.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 87
I've got several of the NF SHV scopes and am impressed with them. They are not as beefy as the NXS line, but one would expect that with the price difference.

I would have no reservations about purchasing more in the future.

If your only planning on shooting 3-400 yards . I wouldn't spend 700 plus dollars on a scope . Cameralandny.com had a good deal on Meopta 3-10x44 . Id check them out and save yourself some money

Nooooo Don't do it !

Shooting/hunting is a progressive disease.

You will wish you had saved your money for quality equipment. Cry once.

If your only planning on shooting 3-400 yards . I wouldn't spend 700 plus dollars on a scope . Cameralandny.com had a good deal on Meopta 3-10x44 . Id check them out and save yourself some money

Nooooo Don't do it !

Shooting/hunting is a progressive disease.

You will wish you had saved your money for quality equipment. Cry once.

Agreed! My friend have the Meopta MeoPro 3.5-10x44 ($799 + shipping) and the Burris veracity 4-20x50 FFP is so much more scope for the money.

He actually paid more than I did with mine ($629.10 shipped). :D

I'd rather have the magnification and don't need it instead of the other way around.

I've got several of the NF SHV scopes and am impressed with them. They are not as beefy as the NXS line, but one would expect that with the price difference.

I would have no reservations about purchasing more in the future.

Thanks for the info, its nice to hear from someone who has actually owned one. For the price point, of course they can't offer what they do with their NXS and more expensive lines, but Ive read that most of the compromises have been made by limiting the turrets/dail and adjustment capabilities in the SHV, which I dont think I will need as much hunting 100-300 yds as someone who shoots benchrest or longer range hunting.

I hate it when they cover up the turrets with caps in the advertisements. I bought a Burris MTAC a few years ago and the turrets are about the size of a pencil and I have to take a microscope to the range to read the dials. Great scope, great glass, great CS, worthless turrets. :rolleyes:

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.