Nightforce reticules

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by vulpes vulpes, Mar 2, 2011.

1. vulpes vulpes

vulpes vulpes Member

I am looking at getting a nightforce NXS 8-32x56 or 5.5-22x56 but can't decide on the reticule
    I like the look of the MLR but most people seem to go for the NPR 2 which I also like what would be the pro's and con's of these two reticules.
    The gun is a 6mmBR varmint, small deer (roe deer) and informal target gun shooting out to about 750yds.
    Thanks
    Vulpes Vulpes.

2. bama slammer

bama slammer Member

I just got my first Nightforce NXS and I couldnt be happier. I went with the 5.5-22X56 with a NP-R2 reticle

3. MontanaRifleman

MontanaRifleman Well-Known Member

It really comes down to personal choice. I like the NP-R2. If you like MOA, then get an MOA reticule and turret. if you like mil then get a mil reticule and turret. Don't mix them.

Good shooting,

-Mark

Last edited: Mar 3, 2011
  4. danj

danj Well-Known Member

+1 on the NP-R2.

5. LewisH

LewisH Well-Known Member

I have the NP-R1. It has 1 MOA spacing lines on the vertical line, and 2 MAO on the horizontal; whereas the NP-R2 has 2 MOA spacing lines on the vertical, and 5 MAO on the horizontal.

The NP-R1 looks a little "busy" compared to the NP-R2, but it's better for precise long range aiming.

BTW, there is no "u" in reticle. :)

6. Cordell

Cordell Well-Known Member

I like the NP-R1 with the 1MOA marks on the vertical.

7. MontanaRifleman

Ya know... my spell checker told me the correct spelling was wrong and gave me the "u" option and I took it while scratching head thinking is that right? Gettin waaay too dependent on technology :rolleyes:

8. LewisH

LewisH Well-Known Member

Your spell checker didn't contain the word "reticle." It was trying to correct you, and make you spell ""ridicule." Spell checkers will do that when you enter a word that isn't in their data bank...I hate it when they do that. gun)

9. MontanaRifleman

Actually it wanted me to spell "reticule"

From the Free dictionary...

Noun1.reticule - a woman's drawstring handbag; usually made of net or beading or brocade; used in 18th and 19th centurieshandbag, purse, bag, pocketbook - a container used for carrying money and small personal items or accessories (especially by women); "she reached into her bag and found a comb"

2.reticule - a network of fine lines, dots, cross hairs, or wires in the focal plane of the eyepiece of an optical instrumentgraticule, reticle
    cross hair, cross wire - either of two fine mutually perpendicular lines that cross in the focus plane of an optical instrument and are use for sighting or calibration; "he had the target in his cross hairs"
    eyepiece, ocular - combination of lenses at the viewing end of optical instruments
    network - a system of intersecting lines or channels; "a railroad network"; "a network of canals"

10. LewisH

LewisH Well-Known Member

This comes under the heading: "I'm never too old to learn."

My dictionary does list "reticule" as (1) a small purse, and (2) an alternate spelling of "reticle." Mea culpa! :D

Having said that, I gotta add that some of the spelling we encounter on the websites is like "fingernails on a blackboard."

Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
  11. MontanaRifleman

That makes two of us :)

12. 805_Sniper

805_Sniper Well-Known Member

NP-R2 all the way... Best reticle Night Force offers...

13. vulpes vulpes

vulpes vulpes Member

Thanks for all the reply's guys,
    I decided to go for the NP-R2 and ordered one today.
    Thanks again
    V V

14. CRNA

CRNA Well-Known Member

You will be glad you did. I have the NXS 5.5-22X56 with the NP-R2 and love it. I looked at the NP-R1 and it's just too busy. Possibly more precise if you are using the reticle for hold over etc, but if you use ballistics software, you don't really need all that mess IMHO.