Riflescopes with Horus reticules ?

scotsgun

Folks,

I'm thinking of having a Steyr SSG69 re-barelled in 284 and am considering a new long range scope. I've been watching the u-tube vids on the Horus reticule with interest so would like to get one.

I know that Nighforce offer the F1 with a horus but i've suffered from their terrible aftersales service before and have vowed to never buy another.

Can anyone suggest other brands which offer the horus reticle in a variable scope, ideally reaching 15x mag or greater?

Thanks

The list left off Horus and Hensholt.
None are ideal for use at very long range with the Horus reticle concept. None have an eyepiece which can move vertically without moving the reticle relative to the target. Target knobs with a Horus reticle are mostly useless.

Can you explain what you ment by this?

The concept of the Horus reticle is that it calibrates the entire shooting space in angular mils with no need to to move the reticle relative to the rifle for any shot. You just change the point of aim on the reticle. That's what gives the Horus reticle's simultaneous simplicity, accuracy, and speed.

A "long range" Horus reticle like the H37 or H25 has about 40 Mils of vertical calibration. 40 mils is over two degrees. If you reduce the magnification until you can see the entire reticle in the field of view of the eyepiece the magnification will be under 8X and the calibrations on the reticle become difficult to read. It's not practical to increase the eyepiece field of view and maintain a useful eye relief. That's only a problem when the angular drop exceeds a degree ( 60 MOA). Shooting at a mile with heavy bullets as with a 338 Lapua or 50 BMG shows up the problem. Also shooting at moderate ranges with subsonic bullets will give large angular drops.

Admittedly that not a problem at typical hunting ranges under 1000 yards with high velocity bullets where drops rarely exceed 1/2 degree.

If the eyepiece on a scope with a Horus reticle were made movable in the vertical plane behind the reticle , the eyepiece could be left at any magnification while any part of the reticle could be viewed. For most shooting the only area of interest is within a few angular mils of the target and point of impact. Many scopes which have target knobs have a two degree range of reticle elevation adjustment, but they all move the reticle position relative to the rifle when the adjustments are made. That works if the reticle is just a crosshair and you carefully count turns and clicks, but not if the Horus reticle is to be used the way it's intended.

Last edited:
I have the H37 in an FFP Leupold MK4 and it can be used either way. If speed is required then you can use the reticle for adjustment but if I had time and was using a ballistic calculator or range sheet I would dial it in for the exact drop/dope. I guess it would really depend on the size and type if game as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.