Next Rifle Build

Tango Sierra

Hi everyone,

I have spent a lot of time combing over the posts here, but have not posted much.

I am looking towards my next rifle build and am having a lot of difficulty settling on a cartridge. Currently I have a 6.5-284 built of a Tikka action and 280ai build on a Defiance Deviant GA Hunter.

I am thinking that I would like to build something larger in either a .30cal or .338. It will be used mainly for elk and moose here in British Columbia. Most shots will be well under 500 yards, though I would the capability to kill game further then that. I am hoping for a somewhat light build with a shorter barrel length….. 20-22 inches.

Originally I was thinking a .338 would be a bigger jump from 280ai, and there for maybe a better choice? But maybe it's overkilll? I tend to like cartridges that are a little bit less mainstream.

Cartridges I have been considering are: 338 RUM, 33 Nosler, 300 PRC and 30 Nosler.

I would love to hear what you guys think!

Thanks!

I'd say your four choices listed are solid as well as all the other cartridges that surround those. There are many in .30 cal and .338 that would be a nice jump up from .280AI. There will be lots of opinions as to which are better.

I recently had a 30N built with a 20" barrel and XLR folding chassis to fit between my 7 saum and 338LMI. It would be perfect for the hunting your describing. Good luck picking one! I'm already thinking of what I want next and will be going the other direction I think (.264 or less).

Between 338 RUM, 33 Nosler, 300 PRC and 30 Nosler I would see which one I could get really good brass for and go with that, and I would do the 338 over the 30's I think. My guess is that would land me on 338 RUM. If I were doing a 30 cal I think I would be hard pressed to not go with a 300WM and more so if the shots are 500 and in. Good brass is relatively easy to get, plenty of horsepower too and in my experience a 300WM is pretty easy to get shooting well. Another plus would be factory ammo is relatively easy to get if for some reason you needed it.

Either of those 30s will kill anything in Canada very dead well beyond 500 yards.
Out of the many 30 cal magnums I've owned the 30 nos is my favorite.
The Peterson brass is awesome

Hi everyone,

I have spent a lot of time combing over the posts here, but have not posted much.

I am looking towards my next rifle build and am having a lot of difficulty settling on a cartridge. Currently I have a 6.5-284 built of a Tikka action and 280ai build on a Defiance Deviant GA Hunter.

I am thinking that I would like to build something larger in either a .30cal or .338. It will be used mainly for elk and moose here in British Columbia. Most shots will be well under 500 yards, though I would the capability to kill game further then that. I am hoping for a somewhat light build with a shorter barrel length….. 20-22 inches.

Originally I was thinking a .338 would be a bigger jump from 280ai, and there for maybe a better choice? But maybe it's overkilll? I tend to like cartridges that are a little bit less mainstream.

Cartridges I have been considering are: 338 RUM, 33 Nosler, 300 PRC and 30 Nosler.

I would love to hear what you guys think!

Thanks!
Love my 338 Win Mag. 24" bbl. With a short bbl. you will be wasting your time and money on anything bigger case wise! Both of these were 1 shot kills with that rifle!

Attachments

• DSCN9993.JPG
    DSCN9993.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 73
  • DSCN9996.JPG
    DSCN9996.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 72
Last edited:
300 RUM.....210-215 gr bullets @3000+ , incredible accuracy, reasonable recoil with a good brake...built mine 10+ years ago.....still the most accurate of all.....

Attachments

• IMG_20191113_1037183_rewind.jpg
    IMG_20191113_1037183_rewind.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 58
It will be used mainly for elk and moose here in British Columbia. Most shots will be well under 500 yards, though I would the capability to kill game further then that. I am hoping for a somewhat light build with a shorter barrel length….. 20-22 inches.

Just like everyone else, the 4 cartridges you names will be more than sufficient to harvest your game at the distances needed, even beyond 500 yards.

A point to make though is the fact that a standard .30-06 Springfield cartridge loaded with a 210 gr. Hunting style bullet is fully capable of the same performance. No, it's not different or unique but simply a plain Jane common garden variety hunting cartridge. The parameters you state do not require a Super Magnum cartridge or even a Magnum cartridge. But I digress...

Lighter and shorter is something I've been working with for the last year. The WSM cartridges, with appropriately designed bullets, perform admirably in shorter barrels and lighter set ups. I've worked with the .300 WSM, 7mm WSM and the wildcat 6.5 WSM, seeing excellent results even when limited to 20-22" barrels. One is chambered in a 20" barrel using a suppressor.

The RSAUM cases will handle your parameter easily also. Granted, the remaining energy at 1,000 yards is reduced from that of the WSM but when hunting in the neighborhood of 500 yards, you have it made. The reduced recoil when compared to those Super Magnums is more acceptable.

If you really want something off the beaten path, look at the 6.5 Weatherby RPM cartridge. No it's not a .30 or .338 caliber cartridge but the performance is terrific, it just need a long action.

If you absolutely have to have a .30 caliber cartridge, I run the .300 Norma Mag. and the .300 Weatherby Mag. The Weatherby is a long time favorite but it is slowly being replaced with the .300 Norma Mag. The .338 Norma Mag. is the next best cartridge for bigger and further. My 7mm-300 Norma Mag. is nearing the last of the testing phase.

Enjoy the process!

:)

A point to make though is the fact that a standard .30-06 Springfield cartridge loaded with a 210 gr. Hunting style bullet is fully capable of the same performance. No, it's not different or unique but simply a plain Jane common garden variety hunting cartridge. The parameters you state do not require a Super Magnum cartridge or even a Magnum cartridge. But I digress...
^^^This^^^

I am thinking that I would like to build something larger in either a .30cal or .338.
Most shots will be well under 500 yards,
30-06 (or AI version to be less "mainstream")
338-06 (or AI version…..again, to be less "mainstream") 😉

My BC moose and elk gun is a 338 Sherman short built of a rem 700 SA with a 22" barrel. I also shoot a 280ai and wanted to step up from that but not go to a big case capacity cartridge. I have a 300 PRC just about back but it is setup for long range with a 28" barrel.

I have to agree with what others have said about barrel length and the super magnum cartridges. A good 338-06 or 338 win mag with a 22 inch barrel will provide a much more efficient powder usage in a shorter barrel. The super magnums will give a much louder muzzle blast, more flash, more suppressor heat and fouling, if you're using one. The Sherman cases are super, a 338 WSM wildcat, even a 325 wsm is a good choice. Nothing wrong with a good 8mm.