Newbie with a Bold Trigger question

JayCee49

Hello All,

I have been working on a "low budget" project to sporterize a Chilean 95 Mauser and I thought a better trigger would be worthwhile so I got a Bold Optima model OP-94/96S (with side safety) from Boyd's Gunstocks (who also provided a nice laminated stock for it).

I must confess total ignorance when it comes to special triggers (at least compared to the standard one on the Mauser) so when I investigated the Bold just out of its bag I noticed it did not move at all (no, the safety was not "ON").

Actually with the safety "on" it does not move at all and with the safety "off" there is an almost imperceptible movement (what an old gunsmith or machinist would define as less than a CH).

In spite of this and thinking it would operate once mounted, I did so. It was very easy to do and it fit perfectly. Put the bolt in, cocked it and the trigger still does not move.

Any and all comments/instructions will be appreciated.

Best regards,

JayCee

Last edited:
Not seeing this in person, but invisioning it, I would guess the sear engagement is set WAY too tight and the trigger is not even getting to set, much less break. IF there is a sear engagement screw, back off it until the trigger sets.

My 2 cents worth.

Larry
Tinkerer

Hello Larry and thank you.

I got this from an article posted here some time back:

"Adjusting sear engagement;
On the rear of the trigger is a very small Allen screw that will adjust sear engagement turning this screw out will increase sear engagement. Again with the bolt locked in battery turn this screw out until the bolt will not lift to open out of battery, turn this screw in until bolt unlocks – then turn in slightly more."

Would this be the way to go?

Again thank you for your reply.

JayCee

Larry,

Called Boyd's and was left waiting for ages.

Followed advice concerning the adjustment of the sear engagement and got it working. Adjusted to the point where bolt can be retracted with no hindrance.
Then adjusted trigger pull and travel. Up to now it feels as if it is working very well.
With bolt in battery clobbered it with rubber mallet and nothing untoward happened.
Trust that with live ammo it should be as expected, crisp and with very little travel.

Again thank you. (An inanimate object should not defeat me, :))

JC

P.S.: now I have to shave off some wood from the stock to accommodate the safety. jc

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.