newbie bedding question

SoDak636

Never done a bedding job before but I'm wanting to bed the receiver into the stock on my .308 this winter and also on a .300 RUM i wanna put together on a Savage action this winter. So here is my question do you have to use pillars to bed a rifle or can you just do the glass bedding? and if its not needed to use pillars is it worth it to bed it without them?

pillers and bed thats the best way all at one time so there is no chance of binding.

and what kinda stock if its a factory plastic stock it would be better to get a new stock like i did for this cheap stevens im working on ;-}

7290fb53.jpg

stock cost me about $125 or so then pillered and bedded it it was quite eazy

Never done a bedding job before but I'm wanting to bed the receiver into the stock on my .308 this winter and also on a .300 RUM i wanna put together on a Savage action this winter. So here is my question do you have to use pillars to bed a rifle or can you just do the glass bedding? and if its not needed to use pillars is it worth it to bed it without them?

Pillars prevent compressing the stock material.

I recomend pillar bedding every time. (some times you can get a good bedding job and it
will shoot well but over time accuracy may degrade because with stock compression torque
will loosing on the action screws).

For a bedding job to last almost indefinitely pillar bedding is the best in my opinion.

J E CUSTOM

@submoa-I already discarded the factory plastic stock off the .308, it's in a boyd's thumbhole, the .300 project will also be in a boyd's thumbhole

@J E Custom thank you for that info

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.