Bedding question

TBuckus

Here is some history before I ask the bedding question.

I just bought an older model 70 with a Bell and Carlson stock off of a relative. I took the stock off to check it out and clean everything up.
When I went to torque the action screws, I noticed that the front screw is hitting the bolt when I reach only 22 lbs. I have filed the screw as much as I can without having to buy and run a die over the threads but it still hits. None of my guns have pillars so I torque to 40 lbs.

Back to the bedding.
The barrel isn't free floated so I was planning on bedding it. I have done it once before after reading tips on here.
Would bedding create enough space that the screw will not go in too deep?
If that wouldn't fix that, would installing pillars then bedding fix it?
Or do I need to just get a die for the action screw?

I'm assuming its just a simple fiberglass stock with no bedding block? If that's the case, I would certainly pillar bed it. It's not that much more work and assures solid bedding.

As for the screw...How does the action sit in the stock? Is the action too far down in the stock or is it placed correctly? Is it tilted forward or backward in the stock or does it sit plum and level? If the action is correct, how is the floorplate? You can make your pillars the correct length so that your parts will be properly fitted to the stock, and use bedding compound to fill in the voids. After its bedded, if your action screw doesn't work you should be able to find a screw at your local ace hardware that will work correctly. Unless you have a 1913 Eddystone Enfield like one of the guns I bedded, which had some weird threading that wasn't standard or metric....but that's off topic.

When I bedded one of my actions, it was tilted forward (barrel down) when the screws were tightened prior to bedding. I wrapped tape around the barrel near the forend to lift it up so it sat flush in the stock during stress free bedding, which also floated my barrel at the same time. Just spend some time inspecting it and go slowly, you should be able to figure out what needs to be done to get the job done. And like I said, I wouldn't stress over the action screw, you should be able to find action screws for most rifles now days. I have two 3" studs I use for pillar bedding Remington's, compliments of Ace. It shouldn't be much trouble finding the right screw.

The action looks level. If I was to guess, I think the recess for the floor plate was cut too deep.
All my local stores don't have that thread type. Ran into that when I bedded my other Model 70. I ended up buying bedding set from brownells

You can also use 1/4" steel pipe for pillars, you can find it at any hardware store in the plumbing section, usually comes in 1.5" or 2" pieces threaded at both ends. Put the piece in a drill chuck and hold a hack saw blade to it to cut it down, or just use a grinder if you have one and get the perfect length by sanding, costs about $3.

Or order the set from brownells if you don't mind spending a bunch more and waiting for shipping, either way works, the kits are good quality as well, just depends how DIY you want it to be.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.