Bedding Question

jsthntn247

I bedded a Rem 700 last night. I got the tape on the headless screws a little tight in the pillars and had to press down very slightly to get the action to "set down" in the devcon. When I did this I noticed the back of the action behind the rear screw go down a hair and rise back up. I pulled it out after 4 hours and cleaned the overflow in the stock up with an exacto. After putting it back it to fully cure, I can press down very lightly on the rear of the aciton and it will set down and come back up just like it did before. I am thinking this is going to cause some flex in the bedding when I check it with the dial indicator. I am wondering if I should add some devcon to the rear of the action and let if cure before I remove the tape from the barrel and lug.

You won't know what's going on for sure until you can accurately check deflection with the indicator.
I never recommend to pull the action before the bedding fully cures, then re-install it. When the rear tang dropped, then raised up again, you probably created an air pocket.
If you determine the amount of deflection is not to your standards, then I would suggest milling out the existing bedding, and re-bed it. This time, leave the barreled action in the stock until it has fully cured. Remove it, then do your clean up.

Wind was terrible the other day. Did shoot a 3" group at 800 but could have been a fluke. Gonna try again this weekend hopefully.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.