Bedding Question

got started with my prepwork today. Put the long screws in the action, taped them to proper diameter, got my wrap of tape on the barrel for alignment and assuring propper elevation of the action. Its turning out great. I am finding the hardest part isntaping the lug. lol i can get it on the front and sides prett good, but that bottom side is tough.

I notice some people prefer two layers of tape in the bottom, is there a reason? Is it a requirement or is there much difference between one or two?

I used electrical tape on mine just last week.. one layer, sides and bottom only. I wasn't sure if I'd have problems getting it out, literally lost sleep BUT she popped right out no problem and fits perfect. I decided to leave the front untaped because of my "closer the better" mentality. Far as I ever understood, a second layer of tape is what some would do in the case of a rapid fire rifle where the metal expands fractionally when hot.. in those cases te extra layer just gives a touch more room to expand (for somewhere to go) instead of expanding in a tight lug bed and cause a stress/pressure which is what is trying to be avoided in the first place

Short of burning up a couple 30 round mags it would take a lot of shooting to ever get a lug warm. As long as the UN troops keep their distance this should never be a problem for us.

I used electrical tape on mine just last week.. one layer, sides and bottom only. I wasn't sure if I'd have problems getting it out, literally lost sleep BUT she popped right out no problem and fits perfect. I decided to leave the front untaped because of my "closer the better" mentality. Far as I ever understood, a second layer of tape is what some would do in the case of a rapid fire rifle where the metal expands fractionally when hot.. in those cases te extra layer just gives a touch more room to expand (for somewhere to go) instead of expanding in a tight lug bed and cause a stress/pressure which is what is trying to be avoided in the first place

Generally extra layers of tape make it easier to install and remove the barrelled action from the stock. Having tried it with one, two and (oops) no layers of tape on the front side of the recoil lug my preference is for two. It can be a real bear when the lug isn't perfectly straight and there isn't any "wiggle room" in there.

Only the rear side of the recoil lug needs to touch, as that's where the lug will be pushing as you are shooting. I've even seen some people mill out the front of the recoil lug recess to make it easier for repeated installations and removals.

Man, I'm itching to get my Devcon now. Hopefully I get it by tuesday so I can do it on my day off.

Got the stock taped, got the barrel, action, and lug taped.

Been practicing putting it in and out so I have a good technique.

I put a little bit of the kiwi shoe polish on it just to see how it works. I rub my finger in it, rub it on the gun, then it gets a little cloudy after about 5 minutes. Do I buff it off with a rag then? I tried that and it seemed like it just kinda went away. Does it just leave a nearly invisible layer that you almost can't even see?

Also, just so I have an idea what to expect, where should I expect most of the excess epoxy to squish out at? I am just bedding the recoil lug in this instance. I am Guessing a large portion will either come out the sides of the barrel up to the top, and down toward the forearm of the stock along the barrel. I am wondering how much will come out in the magazine area? Thanks for all your help.

The Kiwi works like super good car wax. You buff it off to a high gloss shine., If you can see it you need to keep rubbing. Do two coats if you think you might have missed something.

The Kiwi works like super good car wax. You buff it off to a high gloss shine., If you can see it you need to keep rubbing. Do two coats if you think you might have missed something.

Interesting. So I shouldn't be freaked out if it isn't a hazy appearence after I whip it. Gotchya. I will probably do 2 layer for job security on my first time.

My Devcon came today. I can tell you what I am gonna be doing tonight. I got everything taped, modeling clay inserted. Just need to add release agent and bed it. That way I can take it apart later tomorrow hopefully. Everybody cross your fingers! lol

There is a video on youtube.com where Mike Davison from gunwerks beds the recoil lug on a sendero sfii. I believe it is titled, " configuring a factory rifle to shoot long range part 1". Might check it out.

There is a video on youtube.com where Mike Davison from gunwerks beds the recoil lug on a sendero sfii. I believe it is titled, " configuring a factory rifle to shoot long range part 1". Might check it out.

Good video. Makes it look pretty easy. Mine should go just as well tonight hopefully.

There is a good acticle at 6mmbr,com called "stress free pillar bedding" that really helped me, especially on how to support the action and barrel....E

I got it in there. A little squish up the side but not bad, otherwise pretty uneventful, which is good.

When I take it out tomorrow, do I leave the stuff that came up the sides that didn't squish out or do I need to mill that out?

I got it in there. A little squish up the side but not bad, otherwise pretty uneventful, which is good.

When I take it out tomorrow, do I leave the stuff that came up the sides that didn't squish out or do I need to mill that out?

I'd use a Q-tip and WD-40 to remove it now.

I put a bit of WD in the bottom of a glass baby food jar, and then JUST touch it with the Q-tip (i.e. don't dip it in), then touch Q-tip to edge of jar. Rotate Q-tip to squish off excess WD. Use multiple Q-tips to remove the excess, and your life will be so much better tomorrow.

I'd use a Q-tip and WD-40 to remove it now.

I put a bit of WD in the bottom of a glass baby food jar, and then JUST touch it with the Q-tip (i.e. don't dip it in), then touch Q-tip to edge of jar. Rotate Q-tip to squish off excess WD. Use multiple Q-tips to remove the excess, and your life will be so much better tomorrow.

Good advice, unfortunately it is starting to get sticky enoug where I just can't get it out of there. Great pointer for the others who are watching thisnthread for their own purposes.

You can use a dull plastic knife to cut off the excess too.

Grinding hard Devcon isn't much fun, and gives you plenty of opportunity to have an Oops and mar the stock or the bedding. Not that I'd know.... :D

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.