Newbie question

Bigswedegml

I was wondering what options I have with my rifle as far as re-chambering, re-barreling, etc.

I have a Remington Model 700VS in .223 rem.

I am wondering if I can use that action for any other chamberings?

If so, what calibers could I switch to?

I was also wondering if I can use that platform to make a build, would it be worth it or should I just go buy a different platform to start with?

Thank you ahead of time for your patience in reading this. Hopefully you guys can shed some light on this for me.

Re-chambering

Your cheapest, and easiest, option is to rebarrel and chamber in any of the 222 family of cartridges. These would include 221 Fireball, 222, 223, 222 Mag, 204 Ruger, 17 Fireball, 17 Rem., and a host of "wildcat" cartridges based on the .378" head size. If you wanted to move to the .473 head size, you would need to change bolts.

Yep , you can just about build anything you like from that base , leave the small bolt face forthe smaller rounds like the 223 and so on like Eddie mentioned or either open the bolt face up or replace the bolt with another and go up as big as you want even to the WSM family. Not exactly sure what twist that barrel has in it forthe 223 but you could rechamber to say a 22-250 if your wanting more speed or rebarrel it for whatvenr you heart and check book wants.
Don't know what you intentions are for this gun but I have been shooting a wildcat off the 223 case in a couple AR's with great results , the
6mm-223 works great , you can shoot a 55gr 6mm bullet out of this case faster than the 223 can shoot a 22cal bullet and do so out of a shorter barrel , odly enough the 6mm 55gr Ballistic tip has a higher BC than the 22 can 55gr Ballistic tip , so with the combined higher BC and extra speed will give you a bit more reach than the 223 as well as alot longer barrel life. I'm building an Encore barrel right now for the 6mm-223 Improved thats gonn abe 20" long wuth a 1-8 twst to shoot the 75gr V-max , gonn abe used as a short carry gun for the truck and boat.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts