Newbee to reloading

After tumbling the brass, is it necessary to clean the inside before reloading? Using walnut.
If so, how?

Nope, not necessary.

Some people, myself included, use stainless steel pins in a rotary tumbler (rock polisher) to get shiny clean brass inside and out, but it's really not necessary.

I used to use walnut and a vibratory and that's all most folks have used for decades!!

just be sure there is nothing stuck inside and that the primer hole is not plugged.

I shake out case, look through primer hole. if plugged I use a dental pick or other such tool.

tumbling media stuck in primer hole can cause failure to fire or hangfire. media stuck in case can cause high pressures, a quick look will show up any problems. You should be visually inspecting your brass before you load it anyway split cases/neck and other damage. Inspection after tumbling/cleaning will make it easier to see problems.

I use the standard RCBS powder measure, with their micrometer stem and baffle to throw a charge just a few tenths light, then trickle up to the desired weight on my RCBS triple poise balance beam scale. I tried digitals, but found they suffer from "zero-drift" even if I let them warm up for over half an hour before starting to load. That was just too aggravating, so I sold them and went back to old faithful. When I am in the groove, I can charge 50 cases in about 25 minutes, and that is fast enough for me. Burning powder to dispose of it doesn't have to be a catastrophe, just don't make a pile. Make a line instead, and light one end with a long match, no problem.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.