New to reloading

Small base dies are there for guys like me who would pick up range brass from ranges where full auto fire was allowed. Cases from weapons fired in full auto from an open bolt tend to bulge a tad. So, if you're not using pick-up brass or brass sold as-is in bulk, you shouldn't need a small base die.
I know there's applications that they probably fit very well they just didn't work for me. I do buy 1x fired 5.56 military/ range brass but never had any that the normal die didn't work on. I do get a few that have rim issues from time to time but that's been it.

I understand this, and I'd prefer to have more consistent ammo, that's why I asked if there was a way to use a different powder thrower/dispenser on the LNL that I picked up. I might get a turret instead and do every stage 1 at a time, shell plates vs shell holders ends up being an extra $100 for the ones I need.
I also need all the dies yet 2 small base unless you can set up a FL to work in autos, and 2 FL plus the pistols
Super precise rounds aren't of necessity now because the ranges I shoot at the difference of .3 grains in a rifle round which I assume factory rounds are at, would be fine. I need to work on my shooting technique/ skill more than anything right now.

For me this is part of the problem of using a turret press for making accurate reloads. I don't care what powder measure you are using, you will never get the accuracy of using a scale and trickler or one of the new electronic powder dispensers that are out there on the market. Even with the electronic powder dispensers I still check the load with a beam scale. And........secondly being new at reloading I strongly suggest/recommend using a loading block so that you can look down inside of those cases to ensure that the powder is either there or at the same see if your powder has been dropped/metered to the same height. I use a Dillon 650XL for my pistol plinking, but still check the powder level before I seat a bullet on every round. I have been reloading for 58 years now and still use a loading block when I make my rounds, especially my hunting reloads. For me turrets are good for making plinking ammo, but that is where I draw the line for accurate/precision reloads.

I use a single stage press (Rock Chucker Supreme) for my precisin relaods, I use a Lyman DPSII powder Dispenser to get powder, BUT I check it on a beam balance scale - at first until I am sure it is correct, and then every 10 rounds to ansure consistency. For quoick loading (pistol, plinkers) I use a Lee Turret press with integrated Lee Automatic Drum Powder measure, BUT I also do the same preload and every ten round checks on beam balance scale. I also do a flashlight scan of the cases with powder "just in case."

It does really help to have a good mentor. I belong to a local Rifle & Pistol club. We have people that shoot benchrest, CAS, practical pistol, bullseye pistol, three gun, BPCR and other different 'specialties'. Within each group we have very qualified people that are more than willing to help. My advice to to check out a local gun club. But that saying, I am an old timmer and found this forum one of the best for help and information. And yes you can teach an old dog new tricks - LOL.

All good info to read, the full auto makes sense. I guess it'll all just be a new learning game, that I start in a few years. Just have so many other obligations right now, but still getting setup so I'll be ready later instead of rushing to buy it all later.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.