Newbee to reloading

If you can't ID the powder, burn it in small piles with a train of combustible material going to the powder. If you can ID the powder then you may want to save the powder for a later use.
Why are you breaking down the ammo if I might ask?

It was a miscellaneous pile of 300 WM with unknown weights and powders. I'm starting with a new X Bolt 300 WM and want the ammo consistent. Less variables. I'm gathering all the equipment and materials, starting with Accubond 180's and H1000, learning all the procedures, fun new hobby!
Now figuring out which powder measure to get. Suggestions?

Get a decent powder scale first. My powder measure is the RCBS Competition Small Rifle/Pistol. If I'm loading for a big rifle, all I have to do is throw a double charge to get up to that 80 grs of powder or whatever it is.

+1 on FearNoWind's reply, I have both but I use the 10-10 scale for small amounts of my hunting ammo. I can not bring myself to trust electronic scales and the 10-10 has proven this for me. Good luck

Now figuring out which powder measure to get. Suggestions?

I'll give you a real boring suggestion...

Lee powder scoops and a good scale. That's what I use but I don't reload large batches at a time (usually 50-100 rds at a time).

If you get a digital scale, I think having a good balance scale is a must to double check the digital.

Last powder fire I was involved in scorched second degree burns on the right side of my face and right shoulder/ upper arm. Burning powder can flare and the intense flash will start stuff on fire 30 feet away (like me). The total amount of powder involved was about 3#. Spread it on the lawn like fertilizer. NEVER dispose of powder by burning.

BTW, fire extinguishers won't put out a powder fire....

KB

Last powder fire I was involved in scorched second degree burns on the right side of my face and right shoulder/ upper arm. Burning powder can flare and the intense flash will start stuff on fire 30 feet away (like me). The total amount of powder involved was about 3#. Spread it on the lawn like fertilizer. NEVER dispose of powder by burning.

BTW, fire extinguishers won't put out a powder fire....

KB
That's good to know KB!!!
Many reloading books say to burn the bad powder in lots not to exceed 1#. I've had family do it that way and be fine. But one case with an injury is enough for me to re-think the wheel, so to speak. Sierra does list burning the powder on page 112 (current manual) as their way of disposal. I'll fertilize next time too!!!

Get a good scale first. RCBS (O'Haus) beam scale is a good start, you'll not be disappointed. and you'll use it for years, even after you get a measure. Be advised on the powder measure, Some brands/models work better with different types of powder than others -Ball, flake, extruded ect. a lot of good advice is available on this site about that.

I have a 5-0-5, I've used it 30 years. and use it for set-up on my Dillon and MEC (universal charge bar) powder measures.

also, a set of LEE powder dippers makes a great way to throw the rough charge to a scale, than finish to wt with a powder trickler, or by shaking small amount amount of powder a dipper into the scale pan.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.