New Wildcat Build 🤪

Zen Archery

Been eyeballing this Wildcat for 2 years .17 Stinger. Basically a modified 17 Remington in an AR15 platform. He typically spins these at 24". Current owners are running them 4600-4800 FPS. I want 5K so mine is 27".
He's making dies next weekend.
Should have by second week of March as promised.
May Prairie Dog hunts gonna be a blast (if I don't burn out barrel by then!)

8CB16B86-D50C-48B6-BDD3-54DD2B00E502.jpeg

Been eyeballing this Wildcat for 2 years .17 Stinger. Basically a modified 17 Remington in an AR15 platform. He typically spins these at 24". Current owners are running them 4600-4800 FPS. I want 5K so mine is 27".
He's making dies next weekend.
Should have by second week of March as promised.
May Prairie Dog hunts gonna be a blast (if I don't burn out barrel by then!)

View attachment 342824
With a case that small and using the fast burning powders that the .17 Rem likes I honestly don't think you're going to see much difference in velocity if any going with a 20-24" barrel over the 27".

I know from experience that long barreled AR platform rifles are a real pain to maneuver with in the field.

Should be a fun project for you though but you're going to have to clean that thing pretty thoroughly after about ever 1-20 rounds or it's going to have a terribly short life.

Did some playing with big bore 22 cals chasing 5 with 40 grain b tips. Didn't really get over 4600 at the time, but didn't have access to the new pixie powders we have now. It was harder on barrels than chasing 4k with 55s, like lots and lots harder.

Don't get me wrong, I view barrels like rear tires on a dodge hellcat they are there to wear. I've smoked barrels in a week aggressively chasing whistle pigs with 7 rums, 6x284s and the like. With all that said, chasing 5 k killed them so fast it was hard to rationalize.

The relatively small bore and powder column might save you, but it was a bummer getting 4600 after a few load workups only to scope and see throat erosion to that magnitude.

That said.... life is short barrels are cheap and who doesn't love a burnout competition..

With a case that small and using the fast burning powders that the .17 Rem likes I honestly don't think you're going to see much difference in velocity if any going with a 20-24" barrel over the 27".
Correct about a 15-20 fps per inch. But when your 24" barrel was hovering at 4950 FPS every inch counts.

I know from experience that long barreled AR platform rifles are a real pain to maneuver with in the field.
This is a prairie dog prone or bench gun. Not a lot of maneuvering.

Should be a fun project for you though but you're going to have to clean that thing pretty thoroughly after about ever 1-20 rounds or it's going to have a terribly short life.
Builder said to snake it every 10 rounds or when it opens up in accuracy.

Did some playing with big bore 22 cals chasing 5 with 40 grain b tips. Didn't really get over 4600 at the time, but didn't have access to the new pixie powders we have now. It was harder on barrels than chasing 4k with 55s, like lots and lots harder.
Correct Cheetah 1 and Cheetah 2.
Don't get me wrong, I view barrels like rear tires on a dodge hellcat they are there to wear. I've smoked barrels in a week aggressively chasing whistle pigs with 7 rums, 6x284s and the like. With all that said, chasing 5 k killed them so fast it was hard to rationalize.
Vaporize not rationalize!!!
The relatively small bore and powder column might save you, but it was a bummer getting 4600 after a few load workups only to scope and see throat erosion to that magnitude.

That said.... life is short barrels are cheap and who doesn't love a burnout competition..
Exactly.

Correct about a 15-20 fps per inch. But when your 24" barrel was hovering at 4950 FPS every inch counts.

This is a prairie dog prone or bench gun. Not a lot of maneuvering.

Builder said to snake it every 10 rounds or when it opens up in accuracy.
High maintenance and early burnout is simply part of running hotrods.

Just save it for hunting and for your high volume shooting pull out one of the 6.5's and have a party.

High maintenance and early burnout is simply part of running hotrods.

Just save it for hunting and for your high volume shooting pull out one of the 6.5's and have a party.
It's a nice idea....then reality hits. Sitting in a late spring field on the edge. Squeaks are prevalent but keeping distance, concentrations are 3-500 yards and they are thick. Sun is intense enough to keep them out even in the turbulent wind. Launching long bullets in extreme over bore cartridges is just what the doctor ordered. Shoot till mirage gets so bad you have to swap guns, rinse lather repeat. Can smoke a 6-284 barrel pretty quick.... or so I've been told. 223 wssm, and 7 rum shooting 120s will last about 2x weekends....