New Sendero troubles

I can find hundreds of reference to Howa actions being investment cast.
This is a typical reason why gunsmiths down here do not work on Howa actions!
Not investment case hey? Here is one that was!

P1010225.jpg

Wolfe Publishing Company

338 Lapua on Howa 1500 LA
Howa 1500/Vanguard SA vs. an L579 - 24hourcampfire

Topshot, you are correct. My gunsmith confirmed today that the Howa actions are cast. That being said, So are (or were) the Mark V actions used for the big Weatherby cartridges, and in his opinion they are strong as a Rem action. He has built multiple hundreds of Rifles on the Mark V and estimates about 100 on the Howa in just about every cartridge. He has a very favorable view of them and has no problem with building a Lapua cartridge on one. So, I'm fine with my decison to do a 375 Ruger wildcat on one.

A couple of questions comes to mind when looking at that photo. What caused that failure? Too hot a load perhaps? And what would have happened to a Rem action without the gas ports in the bolt, or the one piece bolt construction? Stupid is as stupid does and I've worn that hat a time or two, but fortunately haven't blown up a rifle yet.

I am glad you brough the subject up as it has been a learning experience.

Cheers,

Mark

Last edited:
Back to the Main topic. Did you try shooting it at distances farther than 100 yds.? When I was loading for my 338 Ultra mag I didn't get very good results at 100yds, then read about heavier bullets don't go to sleep ( so to speak, start to spin concentric ) till farther distances. So I started testing at 300 yds and had real good results. Give that a shot before you spend any extra $$$
DSCN2011.jpg

Good Luck
Tarey

Try you some 160gr Accubonds. All of my rifles love them no matter what caliber. If they would make a .17 HMR Accubond, and a 12ga Sabot slug I'd shoot them. LOL

110gr Accubonds for my .257 Weatherby are incredibly accurate. And the 160gr Accubonds for my Remington 700 Sendero SF 7mmSTW will shoot virtually 1 hole @ 100 yards...Even with a cheap piece of glass on top of it. gun)

I also recommend trying these: Federal Premium Vital-Shok Ammunition 7mm Remington Magnum 160 Grain Nosler AccuBond Box of 20 - MidwayUSA

I will be shooting them when I run out of my Federal 160gr Barnes-X XLC coated hollow-points (P7RK). They don't make them anymore, but they're wicked on deer. Federal Premium Vital-Shok Ammunition 7mm Remington Magnum 160 Grain Barnes XLC Box of 20 - MidwayUSA

Back to the Main topic. Did you try shooting it at distances farther than 100 yds.? When I was loading for my 338 Ultra mag I didn't get very good results at 100yds, then read about heavier bullets don't go to sleep ( so to speak, start to spin concentric ) till farther distances. So I started testing at 300 yds and had real good results. Give that a shot before you spend any extra $$$
GNERGY,

Are you saying that you consistently shoot .6" groups at 300yds (~.2 MOA) with that rifle, but that it only shoots 1" or 2" at 100yds?

I've heard all kinds of "go to sleep" theories. Some aspects have merit, and some don't. Bullets are not guided missles. Once off track, they don't get back on track.

I agree that 300 yds is much better for load development.

-- richard

I have the exact same rifle. You have headspace issues and that is why you are seeing brass shavings and sticky bolt with no pressure signs. Full length resize and knock those shoulders back .002. That will fix that problem. Also, a great load for that gun is 60.5 g. of IMR4350, Nosler Brass, Nosler 160 Accubond, CCI Mag primer, and seat to 3.343 OAL. It should shoot them as I know another gun just like ours shoots them well too. About 2950 FPS out of both guns. You should get 1/2 in groups at 100 with this load.

Good luck...

I started testing the Noslers at 100 yds with no luck, but after a lot of suggestions on here I decided to test the Barnes TTSX at 300 yds and not waste time with the heavy bullets at lesser distances. I shot a lot of larger groups at 300 before I came up with the right combo to lay them right in there. I can keep it in an inch at 300 no problem. I say some of the credit goes to the Broughton barrel and some of the credit goes to the shooter and most of the credit goes to Jim See @ Centershot Rifles, my gunsmith and muscle brake designer.
Tarey

Last edited by a moderator:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.