Savage 308 troubles

txnub

I don't post much on here, but I do a lot of reading. I have a problem, and would like to get some opinions.

About a year and a half ago I purchased a Savage Model 11 in 308. It was one of the package deals at Cabelas that included a Pine Ridge scope. While in the store, I purchased a Nikon Buckmasters scope and had them mount it. My plan was to use this gun for deer hunting, replacing the Remington Model 788 243 I have been using for 20 years.

When I sighted the gun in, it seemed my groups were all over the place. I couldn't seem to get it right. I don't consider myself a great shot, especially not for long range at this point, but I have never had a problem hitting targets and deer out to 200 yds with my 243.

My first thought was a defective scope. I did some research on the Nikon and found a couple of people that had similar problems, but most of the reviews were great. I had a cheap BSA scope laying around, so I put it on the gun, and had similar results, and put the gun in the cabinet.

Yesterday, I decided to spend some time shooting and trying to resolve this issue. I still had the BSA on there, and I still had the same results. I put the Nikon back on, same results. I would say it has about a 10" group at 200 yds, using a bipod and sandbag in the rear. After giving up on the 308, I shot the 243 and it did great. I also had a buddy shoot the 308, with the same result.

One thing I did not do is go through a barrel break in procedure. I have always heard mixed opinions on this, and now I'm starting to regret that decision.

For this hunting season it looks like I will be sticking with the trusty 243 (it has never failed me) but I would really like to get my 308 issues resolved.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Have you checked the crown of the muzzle at all for burrs or irregularities? Is the stock making contact with the barrel? I'm assuming you've checked and rechecked the bases and rings of the rifle since you've mounted a couple different scopes on there. If it were myself, I would call Savage and ask them--they will probably have you send the gun back if it's as bad as you say it is.

The muzzle seems fine. A piece of paper easily slides between the barrel and the stock all the way back to the barrel nut. I have checked the bases and rings.

Have you checked that action screws? It may just be a lemon. These things happen. I am an avid Savage fan, but sometimes it happens. Take it to a gun smith. Have him look it over and see if there is a burr in the throat, chamber or something in the barrel you can't see without a barrel scope. I had a burr in the throat that would mark up my bullets. Had a smith clean up the throat and no problems. Even with the burr in it, I still managed a .233" group prone at 100yrd. What ammo are you using. Have you been using the same stuff or different brands and bullets? If you are shooting Remmy core-lokt, I wouldn't expect a whole lot. Try some premium ammo to see if you get the same results.

Tank

Did you check the rings and bases for proper torque? My brother once bought a package like yours and had the same problem. When he finally checked, he found both the base screws and the rings to be loose. After tightening, problem cured.

Slide a piece of paper under the tang also to make sure that it is not tight, I had one get all tweek out similar to what your experiencing because I had heavy contact at the tang.

Base screws are also a likely culprit, I started bedding all of mine and just kicking that in the butt before shot one!

The muzzle seems fine. A piece of paper easily slides between the barrel and the stock all the way back to the barrel nut. I have checked the bases and rings.

Have a friend set up with the bipod (don't load while doing this) and slide a dollar down the barrel while he looks down the scope if shooting. Sometimes that will tweak the stocks just enough to tough.

My Savage 308 shoots under 1/2" groups at least 3 out 4. It's the shooter that generally has the problem.

One other question: accustock/accutrigger?
J

If you've shot it enough to build up copper fouling.....you may as well be out behind the barn 'choking ya chicken' instead of trying to get accuracy out of it!!

Couple things I would check -
First one is shoot it off a bench rest style front rest tucked back close to the barrel nut. The forend of those stocks is pretty floppy with most of them I have seen able to easily touch the barrel.
If that doesn't work take the rings and bases off and reinstall them yourself. That way you know everything is tight.
When you dry fire it how does it sound? Hard smack or a soft click? I had one that the firing pin spring barely hit the primer causing horrible ignition problems and terrible accuracy.
Good factory ammo?
10 inch group is horrible so I would expect the problem to be substantial.
If none of this works call Savage and they should fix it for you. I would think it is something like a crooked chamber or some other serious defect.
Let us know what you find.

In addition to what has already been suggested I'd pull the scope off the 243 and give it a try , unless you've had the other scopes on rifles and know they are not the issue.

Mike

Does your rifle have a mag box. Check to make sure it isn't binding. Sometimes the mag box is to long and touches the action when the action screws are tightened. Try different ammo. Have the head spacing checked.

Thanks for all the advice. I will trying some things and I will be sure to post what I find here.

To answer some question some of you had:

I have checked the action screws.

I have only used one kind of ammo, and it was Remmy Core Lokt (nice guess Tank).

The gun has the accutrigger, not the accustock.

It has the non detachable magazine.

Again, thanks for your replies. Hopefully I can get to the bottom of this before deer season starts.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.