New Rifle?

Update:
So the original reason for looking at a new rifle: my mark V accumark in 300 weatherby magnum has been having some zeroing issues. This was the very first rifle I have ever purchased for my very first elk hunt. The rifle was purchased (June 1st) for the sole purpose of my elk hunt out west this fall. If not for that trip, I would have started with the 6.5 CM. Anyway, sent the rifle in to Weatherby to have it checked. They have had it 2-3 weeks now and according to them the rifle "has nothing wrong with it" so they suggested I use new rings/mounts and scope. It should be back in my hands next week. I will have to mount my new scope (scope number 3 for this rifle as the previous 2 have run out of adjustment) and new rings/mounts (second set) to see if it can zero. Anyway... back to the back-up rifle!

Went to Cabela's today, none of the rifles are listed "in Stock" online, but I needed to go there for new scope mounts anyway! All brands listed through this thread were actually in stock! I Left with a lot of impressions haha

Seekins Precision PH1: really nice rifle with very smooth action. If looks mattered, not the biggest fan (personally). I tend to like the traditional stocks or monte carlo stocks and not the pistol grip type. But the rifle was awesome in the hands. The bolt lift was really high-- might interfere with a scope, might not! the helical flutes were deep and wide and gave it a really high end look IMO.

X bolt pro (not long range): nothing bad to say about it. Weight was good, bolt was smooth, all stainless parts with cerakote. Very nice rifle and many of you fine folks have left comments sounding like you cannot go wrong with a browning. Definitely a hunting rifle. The LR version has a heavier barrel which is what I prefer.

Fierce Fury: See xbolt pro comments, but maybe a touch nicer than the x bolt pro, but the barrel is definitely a smaller profile. Bolt was so smooth. Such a tight fit/tolerance and came with a target showing how the rifle shot! Sub .5 MOA guaranteed!! It is $250 more than the browning/bergara though and I am not convinced either rifle with the heavier barrel and a little load development can't at least match the fury. Both seem capable out to 1000 yards.

Bergara: HMR (not the premier series). The action was surprisingly smooth, this rifle is the only one that I looked at that wasn't the top of the line version of the respective manufacturers. And I was very impressed. I would imagine the premier series would be much better! I was really impressed with Bergara!

All 4 rifle's actions were like glass and so smooth i could not discern a difference. So I opened the bolt and tried to wiggle the bolt body a little. The fierce had the least amount of creep. All were just nearly perfect though (Maybe I am weird, but I love running a bolt action-- the Auditory and tactile feedback are quite satisfying).

If the mark v that I currently own will not zero, it sounds like I might have to cut my losses (at least $1000+). If that is the case, (I will never buy another weatherby product) but I might make the switch from 6.5 CM to 7mm mag or 300 WM instead of the CM. Unless the CM is "enough" for elk hunting out to 400-500 yards?

If I had to choose today, It would be a tough choice between the X bolt pro LR and the Bergara in 6.5 CM. I like the heavier profile barrels for increase shot accuracy in long range and for successive shots. If the Weatherby goes, I am leaning towards the x bolt pro LR in a larger caliber.

I don't mean to change the thread topic-- if this post walks that line, let me know and I can delete this comment and start a new topic. You all have been really awesome on here! It's nice to have some differing opinions and experiences!

Well I would start a new thread under the Long Range Scope and other Optics forum. Reason being, you may get more responses and expertise in scope mounting there.

My opinion though is to get some Burris XTR Signature rings for the Weatherby and Leupold scope.

https://www.burrisoptics.com/mounting-systems/rings/xtr-signature-rings

Reason being is. IMO, the Weatherby base mounting holes on the action are not straight or the barrel is not straight enough to the action to allow the scope to zero. The inserts in the Burris rings will allow you to correct that without using all of your horizontal adjustment on the scope.

The 300 Weatherby also has some serious recoil and the XTR rings may help there too, by keeping the scope from moving.

Well I would start a new thread under the Long Range Scope and other Optics forum. Reason being, you may get more responses and expertise in scope mounting there.

My opinion though is to get some Burris XTR Signature rings for the Weatherby and Leupold scope.

https://www.burrisoptics.com/mounting-systems/rings/xtr-signature-rings

Reason being is. IMO, the Weatherby base mounting holes on the action are not straight or the barrel is not straight enough to the action to allow the scope to zero. The inserts in the Burris rings will allow you to correct that without using all of your horizontal adjustment on the scope.

The 300 Weatherby also has some serious recoil and the XTR rings may help there too, by keeping the scope from moving.

That makes sense. Though, I am less concerned with the previous rifle at this point. it will either be shooting the way it should and I will be a happy to hunt with it, or the problem will still exist and Ill cut my losses! It was more of a background info. I do not believe it should be necessary to purchase special adjustable mounts/rings for a $2000 rifle. At that price point, it should be technically sound! Especially after sending it in for inspection.

Last edited:
That makes sense. Though, I am less concerned with the previous rifle at this point. it will either be shooting the way it should, or the problem will still exist and Ill be upset about it! It was more of a background info. I do not believe it should be necessary to purchase special adjustable mounts/rings for a $2000 rifle. At that price point, it should be technically sound! Especially after sending it in for inspection.

True but daylight is burning and elk season is coming. Might be worth working with the Weatherby's issues to get it to shoot. I like the Creedmoor (have two), but I wouldn't take them on a western elk hunt; unless I knew I would be getting a broadside shot at 100 yards.

True but daylight is burning and elk season is coming. Might be worth working with the Weatherby's issues to get it to shoot. I like the Creedmoor (have two), but I wouldn't take them on a western elk hunt; unless I knew I would be getting a broadside shot at 100 yards.

If it can zero with the new system I have-- I will happily take it out west with me and have no worries about if it has enough to do the job. If it doesn't zero still, I know it was the rifle and Weatherby not willing to make it right. If that is the case, I will cut my losses and get a 300 WM or 7mm Mag right away to get comfortable with the new rifle.

If the weatherby is good to go, I will still get a new rifle in 6.5 CM for shooting steel and deer hunting closer to home.

Update:
So the original reason for looking at a new rifle: my mark V accumark in 300 weatherby magnum has been having some zeroing issues. This was the very first rifle I have ever purchased for my very first elk hunt. The rifle was purchased (June 1st) for the sole purpose of my elk hunt out west this fall. If not for that trip, I would have started with the 6.5 CM. Anyway, sent the rifle in to Weatherby to have it checked. They have had it 2-3 weeks now and according to them the rifle "has nothing wrong with it" so they suggested I use new rings/mounts and scope. It should be back in my hands next week. I will have to mount my new scope (scope number 3 for this rifle as the previous 2 have run out of adjustment) and new rings/mounts (second set) to see if it can zero. Anyway... back to the back-up rifle!

Went to Cabela's today, none of the rifles are listed "in Stock" online, but I needed to go there for new scope mounts anyway! All brands listed through this thread were actually in stock! I Left with a lot of impressions haha

Seekins Precision PH1: really nice rifle with very smooth action. If looks mattered, not the biggest fan (personally). I tend to like the traditional stocks or monte carlo stocks and not the pistol grip type. But the rifle was awesome in the hands. The bolt lift was really high-- might interfere with a scope, might not! the helical flutes were deep and wide and gave it a really high end look IMO.

X bolt pro (not long range): nothing bad to say about it. Weight was good, bolt was smooth, all stainless parts with cerakote. Very nice rifle and many of you fine folks have left comments sounding like you cannot go wrong with a browning. Definitely a hunting rifle. The LR version has a heavier barrel which is what I prefer.

Fierce Fury: See xbolt pro comments, but maybe a touch nicer than the x bolt pro, but the barrel is definitely a smaller profile. Bolt was so smooth. Such a tight fit/tolerance and came with a target showing how the rifle shot! Sub .5 MOA guaranteed!! It is $250 more than the browning/bergara though and I am not convinced either rifle with the heavier barrel and a little load development can't at least match the fury. Both seem capable out to 1000 yards.

Bergara: HMR (not the premier series). The action was surprisingly smooth, this rifle is the only one that I looked at that wasn't the top of the line version of the respective manufacturers. And I was very impressed. I would imagine the premier series would be much better! I was really impressed with Bergara!

All 4 rifle's actions were like glass and so smooth i could not discern a difference. So I opened the bolt and tried to wiggle the bolt body a little. The fierce had the least amount of creep. All were just nearly perfect though (Maybe I am weird, but I love running a bolt action-- the Auditory and tactile feedback are quite satisfying).

If the mark v that I currently own will not zero, it sounds like I might have to cut my losses (at least $1000+). If that is the case, (I will never buy another weatherby product) but I might make the switch from 6.5 CM to 7mm mag or 300 WM instead of the CM. Unless the CM is "enough" for elk hunting out to 400-500 yards?

If I had to choose today, It would be a tough choice between the X bolt pro LR and the Bergara in 6.5 CM. I like the heavier profile barrels for increase shot accuracy in long range and for successive shots. If the Weatherby goes, I am leaning towards the x bolt pro LR in a larger caliber.

I don't mean to change the thread topic-- if this post walks that line, let me know and I can delete this comment and start a new topic. You all have been really awesome on here! It's nice to have some differing opinions and experiences!
Don't forget to check out the Remington 700 5R Milsepc GenII in 6.5 CM... I'm telling you, other than the trigger, that rifle will be nearly unmatched in accuracy. It's also threaded for a brake or suppressor. And it has the heavy 24" barrel for hte extra weight you were looking for.

New Rifle?

Barrelnuts advice it sound. Get the signature rings, use the inserts to zero it on the bench and get the wby going. You can always sell it later and keep the rings, using them on a different rifle providing cant

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.