New Rifle

NDNmojoman

I have been shooting and reloading my Winchester Mdl. 70/300 win. mag for a long time and believe the barrel is finally getting worn out. My Winchester 300 was hitting steel at 750 yrds. I know these rifles are capable of longer ranges but that's about the longest field I have to shoot in. I am considering getting into some local long range events however I need to up date my equipment and need some help moving forward. I can't afford to spend $3-$5K on a custom rifle. I would love to but don't think my wife would understand. I have heard a lot about the 6.5 creedmoor and have been looking at the new Ruger precision and Savage precision rifles (I know they are not a Surgeon rifle or some $$$ Custom) but they are more in my price range of $1K to $1,500.
So, here are a few question:
-What caliber is best for these competitions I understand there are different levels but I would like to eventually get out to 1K yrds of more.
-Is there a better way of purchasing a rifle that is in my price range, other then buying the Ruger/Savage platforms.
-Is it possible to buy a rifle in 7mm/300 win in this price range.
Like I said, I have been shooting for a long time but I am new to this arena and I'm at the point in my life where I have some free time to start learning more about this passion of mine. I know that optics is a total different subject I'll deal with that next. Thanks for any info.

I would look at either a 6.5 creedmoor or a 6mm creedmoor for simplicity. Both chassis options you listed would certainly work very well. You could also look at a rem milspec Gen 2 5r and replace the bottom metal with a dbm. I've also heard good things about the Bergara hmr rifle. I believe that comes with a dbm. If ur considering the savage 110 stealth I would get one with the Magpul butt stock.

Send your barreled action to Benchmark Bartlein Pac Nor or Shillen. For short money you will have a rifle that will get out to a mile. Shooting prs competitions is a wholly different. That would be a 6mm or 6.5 or 308(they have a class for the 308). Obviously the small speedy high bc bullets offer advantages of ballistics and less recoil. The 308 however has reticle and very capable factory ammo. Published ballistics and known leads for those factory loads for movers.

A rebarrel is all you need, save the extra cash...if your just having steel and not hunting a 6BR or 6 CMwill be great for you, cheaper to shoot 6 mm, no recoil, super accuracy in the BR, just about perfect in that 3100-3300velocity and both can handle a 1000 for a ring a ding ...add a timney trigger and a new Stockys stock and you'll be further ahead..

Thanks for the all the replies and info. However, I haven't been in the forum long and don't know what some of the abbreviations mean. Like Canhunter35(replace bottom metal with "dbm") and Frank-(6BR or 6CM) enlighten me please trying to learn things as I go.
Wish I knew a Gunsmith who was knowledgeable on long range rifles who could guide me down this expensive journey. Thanks and keep the info coming

Dbm-detachable box magazine. You'll probably want to use 10 shot clips to prs compete.
6br is a cartridge 6mm bench rest
6 cm is 6mm creedmoor.

There's lots of gunsmiths on this forum, they'll probably chime in at some point. just keep asking questions, they'll get answered. Good luck!

Dbm-detachable box magazine. You'll probably want to use 10 shot clips to prs compete.
6br is a cartridge 6mm bench rest
6 cm is 6mm creedmoor.

There's lots of gunsmiths on this forum, they'll probably chime in at some point. just keep asking questions, they'll get answered. Good luck!
You mean "magazines"... Clips are what you put on a tater chip bag, or your woman puts in her hair. :D

I have been shooting and reloading my Winchester Mdl. 70/300 win. mag for a long time and believe the barrel is finally getting worn out. My Winchester 300 was hitting steel at 750 yrds. I know these rifles are capable of longer ranges but that's about the longest field I have to shoot in. I am considering getting into some local long range events however I need to up date my equipment and need some help moving forward. I can't afford to spend $3-$5K on a custom rifle. I would love to but don't think my wife would understand. I have heard a lot about the 6.5 creedmoor and have been looking at the new Ruger precision and Savage precision rifles (I know they are not a Surgeon rifle or some $$$ Custom) but they are more in my price range of $1K to $1,500.
So, here are a few question:
-What caliber is best for these competitions I understand there are different levels but I would like to eventually get out to 1K yrds of more.
-Is there a better way of purchasing a rifle that is in my price range, other then buying the Ruger/Savage platforms.
-Is it possible to buy a rifle in 7mm/300 win in this price range.
Like I said, I have been shooting for a long time but I am new to this arena and I'm at the point in my life where I have some free time to start learning more about this passion of mine. I know that optics is a total different subject I'll deal with that next. Thanks for any info.
Keep your .300 for hunting, and buy this for your comps and target shooting...

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/42441

I prefer .260 Rem or .260 AI, but they don't offer this rifle in a .260 anymore, so that is the next best thing.

If your 300wm barrel is indeed toast, you have a great platform to build what you want. Not that there's anything wrong with one more rig in your stable... :D

The next question to answer is: What type of competitions are you wanting to compete in? F-Class or PRS style?

Between the RPR and Stealth, I vote RPR even though I prefer Savage over Ruger. Savage really missed the mark with the Stealth (IMHO). It's fugly & I seriously question the ergonomics of that chassis...

If I were in your shoes, I'd rebarrel the M70 but it does leave you with a few caveats:

1. It's a long action. Not that you can't run a SA cartridge thru it but... why?

2. Mag bolt face. Doing a bolt swap on a M70 is probably going to cost you a good bit more that it would on a M700... IF you decide to run the STD bolt face. (I honestly don't know the $$, I don't have any M70's.)

3. You can easily exceed the cost of a RPR while rebuilding your M70. Barrel blank= ~$325. Action truing=~$275 Fitting barrel= $300-$500 depending on options. Stock upgrade= $300-$3000 depending on wants. Trigger= $100 (Timney).

As you can see, it adds up quick. Either way, you're right in that $1000-$1500 price range.

t

I looked at the Rem. 700 5R .308 online which has a traditional stock with aluminum bedding I believe and the precision rifles like the RPR are metal w/AR style grip. Is one platform better than the other? All metal vs composite
Thanks Outlaw6 I was thinking it would cost about the same to rebuild the .300 Win as it would to buy a new rifle. I think that is what started me looking at the new precision line of rifles.

I looked at the Rem. 700 5R .308 online which has a traditional stock with aluminum bedding I believe and the precision rifles like the RPR are metal w/AR style grip. Is one platform better than the other? All metal vs composite
Thanks Outlaw6 I was thinking it would cost about the same to rebuild the .300 Win as it would to buy a new rifle. I think that is what started me looking at the new precision line of rifles.
IMO, the barrel on the 5R Milspec is better than the others. 5R rifling is where it's at. I have plenty of traditional rifled barrels, and they all shoot good, but the 5R seems to cleanup easier and last longer between cleanings.

Also, as far as stock materials go, the stock on the 5R is a solid fiberglass HS Precision stock that has a full-length aluminum bed block. It's going to be just as capable as a full metal chassis setup.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.