New-Rifle-Project-has-been-changed

wildcat

Hey-guys;
I-ve-changed-my-project-a-little.
I-have-decided-to-change-the-chambering-to-something-a-bit-larger-than-7mm-WSM.
I-have-decided-to-do-some-1000-yard-BR-Competitions.
And-I-am-thinking-the-30-378-Weatherby-will-be-hard-to-beat.
So-here-are-the-specs;

1.-Chambering-30-378-Weatherby-Magnum(Maybe-Improved)
2.-Lawton-7500-SS-Action-1.450-Diameter-Fluted-Bolt
3.-Lawton-30"-SS-Barrel;1-10-twist;-1.350-tapered-to-1.250.
4.-McMillan-MBR;-5-lbs-lead-added;-80%Blk-10%grey-10%-White
5.-Vias-Muzzle-Brake
6.-Jewel-2oz-Trigger
7.-Lawton-Base-with-20MOA
8.-Nightforce-30mm-rings
9.-Nightforce-8x32x56mm-NXS-w/NP-R2-Reticle
10-Weight-will-be-around-25-pounds

It-should-be-fun;-fast;and-accurate.-I-have-not-decided-if-I-am-going-to-make-it-improved.

Does-anyone-have-an-improved-30-378-Weatherby-Mag?

What-bullets-would-be-the-best-for-this-chambering.
I-have-looked-at-the-210grn-Beger-and-200grn-AccuBond.
I-should-be-able-to-push-those-at-around-3400-fps.
The-180's-and-190'-at-around-3450-to-3500-fps-out-of-a-30"-pipe.

Who-makes-a-good-180-and-190grn-Bullet-for-30-cal?

Is-there-an-improved-version-of-the-30-378-Weatherby-Magnum?

I-would-like-to-here-what-you-guys-think-about-the-cal-and-specs.

Thanks
Jake

P.S.-Is-this-easier-to-read.-I-pushed-enter-a-lot.

ya it's a lot easier to read, but I think everyone here agrees on one thing. buy a new keyboard before you spend another dime on gun stuff. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

and before you buy a 30-378 check out the 7mm AM, especially if you are going to just shoot the 200gr and under bullets.

I read a post by kirby a while ago, and he was comparing the 30-378 to his 7mm AM, and it completly blows it out of the water with richard graves 200gr wildcat pills.
check that out, you'll like what you read.

not bashing on the 30-378 either, my buddy has one and loves it, I just think that there are better options.

good luck with the gun and the keyboard, and glad things are looking up for ya in the work dept.

I don't personaly think the 30-378 is a good round , just alot more options out their like the 30-338 Lapua imp

But like it was mentioned I'd go with a fast 7mm and shoot the 180 Bergers or 200gr Wildcat bullet. much flatter and alot less wind drift

+1 on the 7mm....

The 7mm AM will push the 180-200 gr bullets fast, and will ballistically be ahead of the 30 cal. Much lest wind drift. I would go with either the Allen Mag, or a 7mm STW. I seem to be matching or over 7mm Ultra Mag velocities using less powder. Running 3350 with a 168 gr Berger. I shot some 180's at 3200 with no pressure. Probably could get 3250-3275. Can't wait to get my Allen Mag though shooting the 200gr at the same speed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I-have-to-decided-to-stick-with-a-30-cal.
I-will-be-using-this-rifle-for-possible-1000-BR-Comp-and
Long-range-varminting.
The-30-cal-is-still-dominating-this-class.
I-will-be-using-the-210grn-Sierra-MK-with-a-.620-BC.
The-30-378-will-push-the-210-at-around-3400-to-3500-
out-of-a-30"-pipe.
That-will-be-a-pretty-good-combo.-I-will-look-at-some-other
chamberings-before-I-make-my-decision.
I-really-want-to-here-more-from-you-guys-regarding-30-cal
chamberings.

Thanks
Wildcat

If the 30 is your choile for bore diameter then I would definatly use the 338 Lapua case and improve it.
The capacity will be a little less than the big Weatherby but you'll likely get the same or better velocities due to the better brass being able to handel the pressure.
Yea the brass is a little more expensive but if you look at it in the long run you'll get more firings from the Lapua cases and they'll pay for themselves in the end.

Or at least these are my theories I have never owned either. I do know that the BC of the 180gr Berger is higher and you can drive it faster that makes for way better wind bucking ability and less drop if your shooting unknown ranges. In the Br you know your range so the drop isin't that big of a deal but the wind has to be read correctly all the way out , thats where the higher speed and higer BC will win

"If the whole BR crowd goes and jumps off of a bridge are you gonna do it to"
"just becausethey do it all the time doesen't make it the best idea"

My mom used to tell me that all the time when I was growing up and it used to drive me nuts , I just saw an opportunity to use those lines so I figured I'd throw them out their /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

JD-Norma-is-making-30-378-Weatherby-Brass-so-that's-pretty-good-brass.

I-checked-Bergers-site;-and-I-don't-see-a-180grn-VLD-bullet.
They-show-a-185-190-210grn;-bullet.

Wildcat

Wildcat,
I think JD was talking about the Berger 180 7mm bullets.With a B.C of .698 I am a huge fan of the 7mm bullets and caliber but you will not be dissapointed with a 30 cal. either.

My recommendation on a 30 cal., would be a plain ol' .300 ultra match, set up for the 210's. Nosler makes some really good cases for the .300RUM at a very reasonable price. If you are set on the .30-.378 weatherby I would recommend an improved version. Also JD's advice on the .300-.338 Lapua is right on. Best wishes on your project and it sounds like your going to have an awesome long range gun.

308nate

I got a 338-378 and have found out that the brass dont last long if you are pushing it at all. I would go with the ultra, some people try and improve the ultra. I dont know if there is enough advantage to it though. Also think on the lapua necked down to 30cal to.

I-will-either-go-with-the-30-378-Weatherby-Magnum-or-30-338-Lupa.-I-will-also-Take-a-look-at-the-300RUM-too.

Wildcat

[ QUOTE ]
I-will-either-go-with-the-30-378-Weatherby-Magnum-or-30-338-Lupa.-I-will-also-Take-a-look-at-the-300RUM-too.

Wildcat

[/ QUOTE ]

If you go w/the 30/378 or the 300 RUM, I know where you can buy some brass for a reasonable price /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

Wildcat

The performance levels of the 7AM and the 30-378 ae very similiar when dealing with shooting animals. Naturally the larger heavier 30 cal bullets will have an advantage at distances beyond 1500 yards.

I am not sure such a high volume case would be a great benchrest cartridge because you have to shoot so fast that heating up the throat will be a problem. Of course I don't shoot benchrest so that is just speculation.

Concerning Norma/Weatherby brass I would say that if you push it to the limits then you pretty much know that the brass is "disposable" just like the powder, primer and bullet. If you run more reasonable loads it will be last longer.

Just my limited experience but the chamber is pretty critical to the accuracy of a weatherby case. A big sloppy factory chamber will lead to difficulties in obtaining desired accuracy. A tight chamber with a special throat cut for the bullet of choice will give you a better chance at being pleased with the accuracy. There are great tales and reams of advice about headspacing off of the shoulder and not the belt. My general belief is that if the chamber is cut correctly then the belt headspace works just fine. Of course if you let the shoulder grow so some cases are head spaced off of the shoulder and some are heaed spaced off of the belt then you may have a problem. In a tight cut chamber with no freebore you will not be able to shoot factory ammo. Nor will you be able to shoot someone elses once fired cases, unless their chamber is smaller than yours.

I-am-thinking-about-the-30-338-Lupa-Mag-Improved.-I-need-to-find-a-reamer-if-I-go-with-the-30-338-Lupa-Mag-Improved.-Where-could-I-found-a-30-338-Lupa-Mag-Improved-reamer???

Thanks-Wildcat

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.