Changes to New 300-WSM rifle project

wildcat

Hey guys, do to some new info I've decided to make a few changes, so I thought I would keep you updated. I've decided to change actions which will allow me to go with a larger barrel diameter. I was originally going with a Lawton 7500 Action and Krieger barrel with a diameter of 1.350 tapered to 1.250. Here are the new specs;

1. 300-WSM Match Chamber using Norma Brass with a .337 tight neck.

2. Nesika Model L, 1.470 Dia, Fluted Bolt, Drop Bolt, and oversized bolt knob.

3. Krieger 30", 1-15 twist, 1.450 dia. all the way to muzzle. The barrel will be throated for the 125grn Nosler Ballistic tip.

4. McMillan Tooley MBR, 5lb's lead added to rear, removable front stud for Bi-pod use, 80% Black, 10%White and 10%Grey. Stock will weight 9 pounds total.

5. Jewel 2oz trigger.

6. Vias muzzle brake.

7. Nesika Trigger guard.

8. Davidson Scope base with 20MOA.

9. Kelby 30mm Rings.

10. Nightforce 8x32x56mm NXS with MLR Reticle.

11. Weight of rifle will be around 25 to 30 pounds.

I decided to change Actions, because I wanted to use a Larger barrel diameter. The Nesika has a 1.470 diameter. I will end up using the Lawton Action and Lawton Barrel for another project.

Jake

if you're going with that fatter barrel for more weight, that's fine. but if you're doing it for more accuracy i doubt a 1.45 will shoot any better than a 1.35. arguably it will be stiffer and potentially more accurate but to me not worth getting something else.interesting project,i've considered building a lightweight version of this.if you would send me that Lawton action that's just gathering dust i could probably take the burdon of it lying around off of you.

what kind of accuracy results have they printed from the 110 v-max's?

only thing i don't care for is the vias brake.you'll only shoot it off the ground once! the baffle designs not only work better but can be shot from the ground.

Hi Wildcat what are you going to be using the rifle for? All that gut and 125gr Projectiles?

Sounds like it should be like shooting a 22 though but you will want a strong bipod with all that weight. I would look at having a forend rail fitted if i was you then have a bipod adaptor that slides into the rail to amke more area for the bipod to seat on. We use bipods here on 22lb rifles with sliding legs and they go into the rails and are 3" wide.

I will send you a photo as i think you might be pushing it with a swivel stud holding all that weight.

Cheers Bill
Australia

Wild-Bill, I will be using the rifle for 100 to 1000 yard ground squirrel shooting. The squirrels out here, in California, are very small. It's very hard to see them past 1000 yards. I went with the 300-WSM and the 125grn BT because the 300-WSM will push the 125grn bullet at 4000+fps, making this a very flat shooting rifle out to 1000 yards.

I've also changed some of the components. I've decided I wanted to go with a bigger barrel, so I am going with a BAT 8.5 M, 1.55 Diameter Action. This action will allow me to use a 30", 1.500 straight cylinder barrel.

The rifle will weight around 33lbs. It will be very stable, and with the Vias muzzle brake, I am guessing there will be very little recoil. This will allow me to see my hits, and misses, at longer ranges.

This will be one of those rifles no one else has on the range or out in the field. Most of the people I shoot varmints with have a 223, 223-WSSM, 22-250, 243, 243-WSSM, 6MM-Rem, and 25-06. Like I said, I've seen the 300-WSM with a 125grn BT in action, and I have never seen anything like it. It shoots so flat and it's so devastating on varmints, it will be perfect for varmint hunting out to 1000 yards.

I know many on this site use the VLD type bullets and so do I. However, I wanted to design this rifle around an exploding bullet traveling at very high velocity to really anchor the varmints at the longer ranges. It seems like when I hit the squirrels with the VLD type bullets, it just punches right through them which allows them to get back in their holes. Plus, when a Ballsitic Tip bullet hits a varmint, it is absolutely awesome to see them 5 feet in the air and in millions of tiny little parts.

I will be using a Bi-pod on this rifle sometimes, however, I will be using a front rest, most of the time. I will keep you updated on the progress.

Wildcat

I would not recommend the 1.450 straight tube either. most guys using one of those are using barrel blocks.

I would stay with the 1.350 tapered to say 1.0. I think tapered barrels tune easier also.

I have a 10"x2" BAT and ran a 2" tapered to 1.5" for my first heavy gun and I am running a 1.450 now.

You might look at the Harrels brake. Cost is $30 and we have found works as good as anything else out there.

Save $125 on the brake and another $500 on the action and $150 on the barrel for something else.

BH

Bunter Hunter, you don't need to use a barrel block if your using one of the BAT's or Nesika larger Diameter custom Actions. I know many guys use barrel blocks on Remington actions when using large diameter barrels. However, you don't need one when your using a custom, large diameter action.

Wildcat

No, you don't need to use a barrel block with the bat action. but i'd bet a 1.35 dia barrel with a bedding block, will outshoot a 1.5 hanging off a bat action.

Hmmmm... a 125 at 4000 out of a WSM? I'm looking at the Nosler Manual and 3650 is all they're getting. Now, I know you're shooting a 30" pipe... but I still don't see 4000 on the menu. 3900, Maybe... but I bet those pockets get a little squishy long before the Chrony starts with a 4. It would be cool to see, but I think you'll have to lean on the ole' powder scale to git-r-done. ~JT
Oh, and those must be some pretty bad *** ground squirles to require a 125 BT going Mach IV. Quite frankly I've seen some pretty gnarly critter launches in my day... and the 6mm with 55's is still King Kahuna when it comes to launching P-Dogs and Diggers!!

25AOD, not only will I be using a 30" barrel, the twist rate will be 1-15. The other contributing factor is, I am having the Barrel throated for the 125grn BT, this will allow me to seat the bullet out father which will give me a little more case campacity. Another contributing factor is the type of powder I will be using. I will be using Vhitivoria N550 powder, this powder will allow me to get the extra 100 to 150 fps of velocity. With the barrel being throated for the 125grn BT, I will be able to put up to 75grns of N55O in the case.

This case and bullet combination has already been tested, with the same specs. The tests are showing Velocities at 4100 fps, however, it's grouping the best at 4025fps. This is a special project and it's being designed around the 300-WSM case and the 125grn BT, thats's why it will be able to push this bullet at 4000+fps. I know barrel life might not be the best, however, I know it's going to be an awesome flat shooting, accruate, 1000 yard varmint buster.

Wildcat

That's 5 grains over max in the Nosler book... but that twist rate will help keep the pressure down. I still think it'll be a WARM load. It should launch squirels pretty good though... all be it not any better than the 6mm with 55 grainers. With a 6mmm BT you can put all that energy into the critter... the 125 is just passin through. On larger critters like chucks and coons you would see a distinct advantage with the 125... just like in the video you talk about so much. I just don't see the difference being very appearant on sub-two pound critters. It will be a boomer though, you might even get passing birds to fall right out of the sky when you touch that baby off!! It should be pretty sweet, let us know when it gets done. ~JT

I talked to both BAT and Nesika, and they both informed me their actions will handel the large diameter barrels with no problem. Nesika, said their Model L, 1.470 Dia. Action will have no problem supporting a 30", 1.450 straight cylinder barrel. BAT, said their Round 8.5 M, 1.55 Dia. Action will have no problem supporting a 30", 1.500 straight cylinder barrel. I've been been looking at both actions for this reason. I was originally going with the BAT, but do to delivery time, over 6 months, I 've decided to go with the Nesika Model L, 1.470 Dia. Action.

I think the barrel block thing is a way for a gunsmith to make more $$$. I am sure they are needed on some projects with barrels that measure 40"s, and I am sure they work good, and I am sure they do add added support to the rifle, but is it really needed and does it make that much of a difference. I don't think so on this particular project . I think an honest gunsmith will tell you, you don't need a barrel block if your using a large dia. Action like Nesika or BAT.

I've thought about a barrel block and have heard many different views on them. I've been told it will not be nessecary if your using a Large Diameter Custom Action. Also, my barrel will only be 30"s. If I were using the same diameter barrel, and it was 36"'s then maybe, you might need one. I've heard so many different opinions on this topic. I am positive the rifle will be very accurate and be very stable and supported.

Wildcat

25AOD, the reason this combo was so intersting to me was because of how flat shooting it is out to 800 yards. I would have to disagree with on the energy factor. My friend shoots 125grn BT out of his 300-WM, and when he hits a squirrel it's more spectacular than any 6mm shot I have ever seen. There is no comparison on splat factor.

Wildcat

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.